Jay Paterno Gets It Right

KingLando

All-Conference
Nov 29, 2021
7,473
4,143
113
Using your twisted a$$ spins and logic, prove Jay got the jobs based on his name.
We know he did--he would have never been a coach wiht it
If he doesn't coach he certainly isn't doing motivational speaking
Why does it bother you that his success is because of his father? It's like a Kennedy trying to claim they weren't given things
 
  • Like
Reactions: psuslu

Chumboshifko1

All-Conference
Oct 15, 2025
2,977
3,190
113
We know he did--he would have never been a coach wiht it
If he doesn't coach he certainly isn't doing motivational speaking
Why does it bother you that his success is because of his father? It's like a Kennedy trying to claim they weren't given things

You're full of 💩 , caught again in your spins and nonsense. You can't prove your retarded assertions, as usual.

You jacka$$.
 

kgilbert78

All-Conference
Apr 9, 2013
1,106
1,710
113
If true, it will be a first. IMO, a nepotism hire that absolutely destroyed our recruiting in Ohio when given that job ( we used to get KIJana Carter, and Jeff Hardings, and Kim Herring, only 3 of the best players PSU ever had from Ohio. He takes over and we get preferred walk-ons like Joe Iorio and O$Us rejects). He then does things like recruits Canadians - remember Francis Claude? No? Neither does anyone else. As a rule, I don’t take anythIng entitled princelings say seriously.
Iorio DID make it to the NFL, if only for one game (and spent a few years with the Colts on the taxi squad). Made good money doing that (his cousin had the office across from mine for a few years).
 
  • Like
Reactions: LionJim

Marshall2323

All-American
Aug 7, 2024
5,057
5,345
113
Fixed. Let’s be honest here.
I hold 1 grudge. Kraft. That's honest. I promise I won't be hating on him 15 years after he's gone. (I'm 76 :ROFLMAO:
HIs handling of the search and disregard for the 2026 recruiting class will impact PSU football for the next 3 years.
 

LionJim

Heisman
Oct 12, 2021
16,528
22,703
113
I hold 1 grudge. Kraft. That's honest. I promise I won't be hating on him 15 years after he's gone. (I'm 76 :ROFLMAO:
HIs handling of the search and disregard for the 2026 recruiting class will impact PSU football for the next 3 years.
Fair enough. Thanks for takin’ the time.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Zenophile

JVP_Yahweh

Senior
Nov 29, 2004
5,289
937
113
A lot of people think that the Spread HD was the greatest innovation in football since the forward pass was invented. I know Urban Mayer has called it out as influencing his philosophy
 

Bvillebaron

All-Conference
Feb 4, 2004
3,170
3,121
113
Many could care less about your drivel. I'm one of them. Go blow your hole elsewhere.
I have lots of disagreements with Lando. But this a comment board and he is entitled to his opinions. If that offends you so much, put down your blue and white sunglasses and heed your own advice.
I hold 1 grudge. Kraft. That's honest. I promise I won't be hating on him 15 years after he's gone. (I'm 76 :ROFLMAO:
HIs handling of the search and disregard for the 2026 recruiting class will impact PSU football for the next 3 years.
Or unfortunately more.
 

Calabrin

All-Conference
Oct 16, 2022
1,668
2,029
113
If true, it will be a first. IMO, a nepotism hire that absolutely destroyed our recruiting in Ohio when given that job ( we used to get KIJana Carter, and Jeff Hardings, and Kim Herring, only 3 of the best players PSU ever had from Ohio. He takes over and we get preferred walk-ons like Joe Iorio and O$Us rejects). He then does things like recruits Canadians - remember Francis Claude? No? Neither does anyone else. As a rule, I don’t take anythIng entitled princelings say seriously.
Yep. The hiring of Jay was an indefensible move by Joe. The very idea of having limited coaching positions, and giving one of them to your kid who has no qualifications to be coaching QBs at a premier university football program is appallingly bad.
 
  • Like
Reactions: LionJim

s1uggo72

All-American
Oct 12, 2021
7,340
5,919
113
Yep. The hiring of Jay was an indefensible move by Joe. The very idea of having limited coaching positions, and giving one of them to your kid who has no qualifications to be coaching QBs at a premier university football program is appallingly bad.
name one assistant coach the Joe hired that had an extensive coaching resume at the time they were hired, except former players. I'll wait.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Chumboshifko1

JoePaMajorCFBrecord409Ws

All-Conference
Jun 26, 2025
1,045
1,067
113
Listen, I love/loved JoePa as much as anyone (God bless his soul, may he RIP). But the things that led to success in Joe's era (first among them Recruiting) and the NCAA Rules are nothing like the factors that lead to success or the Rules (of which there are virtually none in regards to UFA) in today's game. HCMC can emulate and honor Joe's Grand Experiment and Joe's admiration-worthy character, but that will not necessarily lead to success in today's Professional College Football League today.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Rocco3

Calabrin

All-Conference
Oct 16, 2022
1,668
2,029
113
name one assistant coach the Joe hired that had an extensive coaching resume at the time they were hired, except former players. I'll wait.
Do you get that hiring your own kid for such a position isn’t the same as hiring someone who is not your kid?
 

Marshall2323

All-American
Aug 7, 2024
5,057
5,345
113
Yep. The hiring of Jay was an indefensible move by Joe. The very idea of having limited coaching positions, and giving one of them to your kid who has no qualifications to be coaching QBs at a premier university football program is appallingly bad.
No coach ever hired their son before or since. Appalling.
 

Marshall2323

All-American
Aug 7, 2024
5,057
5,345
113
Does that mean it’s a good idea?
It means it isn't worthy of outrage and venom 15 years after the guy left coaching. Father's have hired their sons in college and the NFL...Bob Chesney still has his father around.
All that matters is that Joe thought it was a good idea. Should we still be pissed he didn't ask for our permission?
 

Rocco3

Junior
Mar 25, 2022
197
233
43
Listen, I love/loved JoePa as much as anyone (God bless his soul, may he RIP). But the things that led to success in Joe's era (first among them Recruiting) and the NCAA Rules are nothing like the factors that lead to success or the Rules (of which there are virtually none in regards to UFA) in today's game. HCMC can emulate and honor Joe's Grand Experiment and Joe's admiration-worthy character, but that will not necessarily lead to success in today's Professional College Football League today.
The game is irrevocably broken. I think you are seeing the Death Knell of college football and I am seriously considering becoming a passive fan at least, at worse just turning it off and doing other things with my time. :(
 

Marshall2323

All-American
Aug 7, 2024
5,057
5,345
113
The game is irrevocably broken. I think you are seeing the Death Knell of college football and I am seriously considering becoming a passive fan at least, at worse just turning it off and doing other things with my time. :(
I visited spring practice for the last time in 2011. I brought my sons along (adults by then). We always joked that you knew the program was "clean" because the evidence was in the parking lot (cars the players drove). What they are trying to sell us now as college football is a mess.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Chumboshifko1

Bob78

All-Conference
Jul 5, 2001
1,933
4,571
113
Yep. The hiring of Jay was an indefensible move by Joe. The very idea of having limited coaching positions, and giving one of them to your kid who has no qualifications to be coaching QBs at a premier university football program is appallingly bad.
I am not defending the arc of Jay's coaching career at PSU, because I agree that ultimately it wasn't what was expected or hoped for.

Just pointing out a couple things to balance the ledger a bit -
- Jay had coaching experience at UConn and UVa (under George Welsh) prior to coming back to PSU. So, he had coaching experience, and an acceptable track record at those places, apparently.
- QBs Mike Robinson in 2005 and Daryll Clark in 2008 were BigTen Offensive Players of the Year. Clark's 2008 and 2009 seasons were outstanding. At the least, Jay was one of the coaches who coached them during those seasons to help get them there. We can agree that other QBs under the same tutelage did not have anywhere near the same level of success. Many coaches have a resume dotted with hits and misses, and I think it is fair to say that Jay is among them.

I don't know Jay, have only ever met him a couple of times. So I can't speak about his personality or his character outside of what we all see and read. There's nothing in his public persona that makes me dislike him, even when I may disagree with him. But, opinions on him are pretty well set in stone for many people, and that is to be expected.
 

bbrown

Heisman
Jul 26, 2001
15,173
30,619
113
I am not defending the arc of Jay's coaching career at PSU, because I agree that ultimately it wasn't what was expected or hoped for.

Just pointing out a couple things to balance the ledger a bit -
- Jay had coaching experience at UConn and UVa (under George Welsh) prior to coming back to PSU. So, he had coaching experience, and an acceptable track record at those places, apparently.
- QBs Mike Robinson in 2005 and Daryll Clark in 2008 were BigTen Offensive Players of the Year. Clark's 2008 and 2009 seasons were outstanding. At the least, Jay was one of the coaches who coached them during those seasons to help get them there. We can agree that other QBs under the same tutelage did not have anywhere near the same level of success. Many coaches have a resume dotted with hits and misses, and I think it is fair to say that Jay is among them.

I don't know Jay, have only ever met him a couple of times. So I can't speak about his personality or his character outside of what we all see and read. There's nothing in his public persona that makes me dislike him, even when I may disagree with him. But, opinions on him are pretty well set in stone for many people, and that is to be expected.
Young Sheldon GIF by CBS
 
BWI

Latest

  1. 01 BWI Football Matt Campbell has replayed Penn State’s loss ‘a million times’: Here’s what he sees now
  2. 02 BWI Penn State wrestling 2026-2027 schedule: See the full list of opponents; how many BJC duals are there?
  3. 03 BWI Recruiting Four under-the-radar visitors from this past weekend that Penn State fans need to know
  4. 04 BWI Football How Penn State Uses Josiah Zayas and Zion Tracy So Differently at the Same Position
  5. 05 BWI Football Everything Matt Campell said to explain the Penn State 4th and 1 fourth quarter plan, timeout usage, vs. Wisconsin