Hank or Heck?

Who you got?


  • Total voters
    104

citizenHawk1

All-Conference
Jul 10, 2025
414
1,045
93
Iowa offense actually looked... modern tonight?
Sure, the defensive comparison isn't fair, but maybe Lester's plays just looked the way they are designed to look with Heck, and that might be a big difference in how he was able to get UW so off balance. The movement in the offense just seemed right. I want to see more.
 

longliveCS40

All-American
Oct 25, 2002
2,128
8,480
113
I only voted for Brown because I thought @longliveCS40 was lonely out there all by himself.
I don't have a strong opinion but voted Hank because I kind of expected the Heck landslide.

Heck looked great against a really bad defense on their heels due to the run game. Hank's only loss is to possibly the best team in the nation.

Heck might be the guy but Hank is still more proven at this point. Plus, this is Ferentz ball...you call yourselves fans while going for the sexy option? Defense, special teams, and bad QB play are our calling card!
 

7and5baby

Freshman
Sep 22, 2018
34
58
18
rewatch all of Hanks throws (when not playing a HS team). 3/4 throws were high, low, behind, or too far ahead of receivers. Our sterling Big3 receivers bailed him out a lot. Even when caught, rarely was receiver hit in stride
 
Jul 6, 2025
452
952
93
Heck has some Drew Tate, Ricky Stanzi and CJ Beathard type moxie and swagger in him. Hank seems more Nate Stanley, Spencer Petras and Jake Ruddock with his leadership and “more game manager” style. Nothing wrong with any of that, and I’m ok with either leading us the rest of the way.

All that said, I’m going with Heck.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Kceasthawk@77

WigPen

Sophomore
Aug 13, 2025
116
159
43
I hope it's Hecklinski as well but whoever it ends up being, hopefully they won't regress over their iowa career under our coaching staff. Something that we are all used to seeing unfortunately. Let the kid play and stay aggressive.
 

Hawkfan82

Junior
Dec 15, 2012
116
210
43
I can't think of a single throw in the washington game that wasn't on target. The incomplete passes were either dropped or put in a place where a play could have been made.
I know Washington's defense was bad but heck still made the throws. Hank would have flat out missed on a few of those throws.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Hawksfor3

Hawx224

All-Conference
Jun 30, 2025
433
1,768
93
Hank had a tough job going against OSU no doubt. That being said, there were receivers open that he was off target to. I’d give Heck the start against MN but it’s neck and neck
 

oldxbbc

All-American
Sep 19, 2013
1,951
7,501
113
Will be an interesting two weeks of practice. Heck payed great as did entire team (special teams were special) but have a feeling Brown will start next game. Just my opinion
 

JWolf74

All-American
Dec 17, 2022
2,478
7,770
113
It helps when our running game was so solid and I thought Lester called a really good game, but it should be Hecklinski in Minnesota. But knowing Kirk, I'd bet $100 it'll be Hank.
 

The Big Z

All-Conference
Jan 5, 2023
2,078
4,020
113
This is exactly what Kirk didn’t want! Lol. Yes, the o line absolutely dominated which possibly lead to the 3 easiest touchdown passes I can remember in 60 years of watching football. But man Heck just played with such passion out there. I loved him giving it to the Washington sideline after the 1 TD. So now what is Kirk going to do? We all know what the fans want based on this poll. And Brown has not exactly been super accurate but to be fair he’s played in the Big house and Ohio St.
 
Dec 16, 2015
259
995
93
I can't think of a single throw in the washington game that wasn't on target. The incomplete passes were either dropped or put in a place where a play could have been made.
I know Washington's defense was bad but heck still made the throws. Hank would have flat out missed on a few of those throws.
I think the worst throw last night was the low one to Diaz that Diaz snatched up. If your worst throw is still a completion you’re doing something right.
 
  • Like
Reactions: nu2u

Kceasthawk@77

All-American
Feb 2, 2005
4,277
7,477
113
The amazing thing to me is Heck puts up 41 points and he didn't run one time. I imagine they didn't want to put him at risk and have to rely on a very green QB, but Heck's wheels is a nice thing for Iowa to have in their back pocket.

I hope like crazy he gets the next start.
I think that's a misconception about Heck. He's NOT a runner, like MG was. Heck is basically Tate. He moves around to get time to throw. not run from scrimmage. You don't want him running like Williams did last night.
 

Kceasthawk@77

All-American
Feb 2, 2005
4,277
7,477
113
KM's big night was a difference maker. Heck showed good poise and didn't have any unforced errors that I can remember.
That's it in a nutshell. If we can run the ball like that, its an entirely different offense then what Brown had to work with against ISU, Michigan, or OSU.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Hawksfor3

Kceasthawk@77

All-American
Feb 2, 2005
4,277
7,477
113
I'm shocked that any Hawkeye fans are wavering about this at all right now.

There's a reason that the current vote count in this poll is 46 to 1 Heck.
I think what we know right now, based on who has played against which team on our schedule is its easy to see why the coaches struggled to pick a starter, and this off week will be interesting.
 
  • Like
Reactions: The Big Z

Kceasthawk@77

All-American
Feb 2, 2005
4,277
7,477
113
I hope it's Hecklinski as well but whoever it ends up being, hopefully they won't regress over their iowa career under our coaching staff. Something that we are all used to seeing unfortunately. Let the kid play and stay aggressive.
And how would you measure that with Tim Lester as OC? Again why are we living in the past?
 

MVPFAN

Senior
Mar 10, 2003
3,275
869
113
Heck is better at reading the defense and delivering the throws where they need to be.
 

Kceasthawk@77

All-American
Feb 2, 2005
4,277
7,477
113
This is exactly what Kirk didn’t want! Lol. Yes, the o line absolutely dominated which possibly lead to the 3 easiest touchdown passes I can remember in 60 years of watching football. But man Heck just played with such passion out there. I loved him giving it to the Washington sideline after the 1 TD. So now what is Kirk going to do? We all know what the fans want based on this poll. And Brown has not exactly been super accurate but to be fair he’s played in the Big house and Ohio St.
Agree, although no doubt Kirks thrilled to go out west and get a big win. Still it will be an interesting week for him and Lester. Good problem to have though.
 

93hawkeye

Senior
Sep 19, 2004
408
635
93
Wash is not good. But I like Heck's quicker motion and release. Sometimes a fraction of a second matters.
 

HawksRule73

All-Conference
Jun 26, 2025
869
2,194
93
You rarely see a starter lose his job due to injury. However, I do think this is different because the competition has been so close for so long.

I think KF rides the hot hand moving forward.
 

Jonesy5960

Heisman
Feb 1, 2023
6,686
13,802
113
I don't have a strong opinion but voted Hank because I kind of expected the Heck landslide.

Heck looked great against a really bad defense on their heels due to the run game. Hank's only loss is to possibly the best team in the nation.

Heck might be the guy but Hank is still more proven at this point. Plus, this is Ferentz ball...you call yourselves fans while going for the sexy option? Defense, special teams, and bad QB play are our calling card!
No worries. Our case is building and our ranks are growing. @Max Rebo has now joined our cause!

4619.jpg
 

RuggieC

All-Conference
Mar 30, 2014
546
1,087
93
Heck gives us a MUCH better chance at this point. The defenses can't just sit on the run and our playbook looks WAY more open with him at the wheel. His ball fakes, movement, etc looks so much better. The playbook looks much bigger and diverse with him. I know it wasn't OSU but it was a dominating road win on the West Coast. All that said, my fear is that KF is willing to throw away a game and potentially a playoff to go with Hank. I like Hank but he needs to be the backup now. No time to eff around. We have 6 games that we will be most likely favored in all at this point. If we want to be a serious contender for a playoff, then Heck needs to be the QB.
 

SoonerBeAHawk

All-Conference
Nov 27, 2005
505
1,058
93
I think that's a misconception about Heck. He's NOT a runner, like MG was. Heck is basically Tate. He moves around to get time to throw. not run from scrimmage. You don't want him running like Williams did last night.
Hardly any QB is a runner like MG was, ofc, but even in a scramble situation being able to keep a play alive or scamper for several yards is really valuable. Also, in his limited playing time last year on a designed run he did score once. He can do it in spots.
 
Hawkeye Report

Latest

  1. 01 Hawkeye Report Football Five Things: Breaking down the Hawkeyes win over Washington
  2. 02 Hawkeye Report Football Iowa Football News and Notes
  3. 03 Hawkeye Report Football PHOTO GALLERY: Iowa Football vs Washington
  4. 04 Hawkeye Report Football Hawkeye Report Podcast
  5. 05 Hawkeye Report Football Kirk Ferentz talks win over Washington