God is Good! And so random too.

GesterHawk

Heisman
Jan 3, 2023
21,962
42,338
113
so you're a glass half empty kinda guy?

Look i get it, I'm not much on the whole presbyterian (and related spinoff) "double predestination" thingy either.

But this question of 'why does god let bad things happen to good people (and vice versa for that matter) is an old one which neither the pro-god nor the anti-god side really has much of an answer for. The best I can give you is that he does allow us to live in a condition of freedom, where good things and bad things can happen. Usually the limits on the bad things (like here) are ordinary rather than miraculous. but if it gets us thinking about things, perhaps that's not horrible.
The following may not reflect the thoughts and beliefs of the poster known as GesterHawk:

The anti-god (as you put it) group has a fairly sound answer to the question of why God lets bad things happen to good people.
The answer being: There is no God to prevent bad things from happening to good people.

The pro-god (as you put it) should then respond with: It matters less what happens to people in this life because it is the next life that is everlasting.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: BrianNole777

McLovin32

Heisman
Feb 1, 2008
11,290
32,897
113
God doesn't control the bears.................that's why they're still the greatest threat to American national security.

@THE_DEVIL controls the bears
 

GesterHawk

Heisman
Jan 3, 2023
21,962
42,338
113
Some of your first example may be plausible, but i don't think that quite accurately describes the feelings about the child "being with god". They may take comfort with that, but I don't think there are too many people that will thank him for the fire.
The lady was happy that the bear ate her daughter so that her daughter didn't have to die a different way. Sounds pretty thankful to me.
 

Riveting

All-Conference
Aug 24, 2020
7,253
4,230
113
The following may not not reflect the thoughts and beliefs of the poster known as GesterHawk:

The anti-god (as you put it) group has a fairly sound answer to the question of why God lets bad things happen to good people.
The answer being: There is no God to prevent bad things from happening to good people.

The pro-god (as you put it) should then respond with: It matters less what happens to people in this life because it is the next life that is everlasting.
too late now:

God Decides To Flood Earth Again After KFC Releases Oreo Chicken Sandwich | Babylon Bee
 
  • Like
Reactions: THE_DEVIL

GesterHawk

Heisman
Jan 3, 2023
21,962
42,338
113
Probably not, and I don't think they really understand how the person going through grief really hears those words.

They're just trying to comfort.

Sometimes saying "damn, that fucan sucks" would prob be better received than "It's all part of God's plan."
If my MIL out lives one of my parents she is going to get all God's plan on me. I won't like it coming from her as she is a bit of a Christian Nationalist, but I understand she will be trying to comfort me in the way she knows how and the way she would want for herself.

Honestly, I think I would just want someone to tell me "About damn time, let's go get a drink.". Because that would be more inline with me and how I want people to react to my death.
 

tarheelbybirth1

Heisman
Jul 4, 2025
5,774
16,383
113
I find it interesting people will spend a lifetime studying politics, physics, history, philosophy, or the universe and accept they don't fully understand everything...but those same people are remarkably quick to dismiss the possibility of God as the absurd Spaghetti Monster in the sky. Scripture says, "You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." It also speaks of God having written something of Himself and His moral law on the human heart.

Personally, I believe God exists outside of time itself. So I don't expect my limited, human perspective or brain to be fully capable of neatly explaining every tragedy, coincidence, or apparent contradiction. That doesn't mean we shouldn't ask questions or use said brains...it just means recognizing not understanding everything is not the same thing as proving there is nothing to understand (if that makes sense).
The Christian god is absurd. All gods imagined by humans are absurd. The Christian god is no more real than Zeus. Any god worthy of the name - capable of creating a universe out of nothing - would be so far beyond our comprehension that speculating on its nature or will is completely pointless. We can't even imagine the size of our own galaxy - all we can do is put numbers on it.
 
  • Like
Reactions: BelemNole

Moogy

All-American
Jul 28, 2017
7,629
5,434
113
I still find it weird how a lot of you love to hate on God but can never come to the conclusion that evil (devil) exists as well.
Maybe the man that was attacked knows that the devil sent the bear and God helped save him. But of course that’s not possible to the God haters. It’s all Gods fault.
Wut? People "hate on God" because they don't believe in him. So why would they believe in a super-powered evil being, as well? If I want to imbibe some fantastical stories about super-powered beings in the ultimate battle of good and evil, I'll turn on The Avengers.

But, wait ... I thought dying was awesome? After all, it takes you to your glorious eternity, wherein you can call black people the n-word to their face, and they don't get mad. Why would the devil be responsible for that? Bears just trying to eat and live, man. Just like we do. Is the devil making you shove that chicken down your gullet? Or squash that spider that invaded your house?
 
Jun 1, 2026
1,893
664
113
Wut? People "hate on God" because they don't believe in him. So why would they believe in a super-powered evil being, as well? If I want to imbibe some fantastical stories about super-powered beings in the ultimate battle of good and evil, I'll turn on The Avengers.

But, wait ... I thought dying was awesome? After all, it takes you to your glorious eternity, wherein you can call black people the n-word to their face, and they don't get mad. Why would the devil be responsible for that? Bears just trying to eat and live, man. Just like we do. Is the devil making you shove that chicken down your gullet? Or squash that spider that invaded your house?
So again, if they don’t believe in him, why would you mention the stupid stuff that many on here mention. Maybe start making fun of the devil for failing to kill a person instead.
 

alaskanseminole

Heisman
Oct 20, 2002
246,583
13,992
103
The Christian god is absurd. All gods imagined by humans are absurd. The Christian god is no more real than Zeus. Any god worthy of the name - capable of creating a universe out of nothing - would be so far beyond our comprehension that speculating on its nature or will is completely pointless. We can't even imagine the size of our own galaxy - all we can do is put numbers on it.
Well, obviously I disagree. ...but isn't part of your argument actually supporting mine? If God exists and is truly capable of creating the universe, then yes He would be far beyond our complete comprehension. I certainly dont claim to fully understand God's nature or will but I don't think Him being beyond our full comprehension means he's unknowable or nonexistent.

I can't comprehend the size of the universe either, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist because my brain can't fully grasp it. And, fwiw, I believe God has made Himself knowable...at least in part...even if I'll never fully comprehend Him.
 

Moogy

All-American
Jul 28, 2017
7,629
5,434
113
So again, if they don’t believe in him, why would you mention the stupid stuff that many on here mention. Maybe start making fun of the devil for failing to kill a person instead.
Wut? Use your words. What "stupid stuff that many on here mention"? Why would anyone be making fun of the devil? Not many devil worshippers 'round these parts.
 

tarheelbybirth1

Heisman
Jul 4, 2025
5,774
16,383
113
Well, obviously I disagree. ...but isn't part of your argument actually supporting mine? If God exists and is truly capable of creating the universe, then yes He would be far beyond our complete comprehension. I certainly dont claim to fully understand God's nature or will but I don't think Him being beyond our full comprehension means he's unknowable or nonexistent.
Imagine 100 yards. Get an understanding of that distance in your head. Picture it. Now do a mile. Four times around the track. Now do it for a light year. That's 5.88 trillion miles. And the Milky Way is 100,000 of those in diameter. It is literally nothing more than a number in your head.

I can't comprehend the size of the universe either, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist because my brain can't fully grasp it. And, fwiw, I believe God has made Himself knowable...at least in part...even if I'll never fully comprehend Him.
God - if one exists - is nothing more than a word you use. And it's not even the same level of disconnect. The difference is we can see the Milky Way and measure it and study it and know without any doubt that it exists. There is zero evidence that the universe has a creator much less a creator who even knows the Milky Way exists - much less humans. And even if I conceded the first point (which I could entertain) ... and the second (a much harder slog) ... you still have nothing to suggest this entity intervenes in our reality in any way.

Where we agree is that you're free to believe whatever you like and your beliefs are your own and they don't belong in the public sphere influencing policy.
 

alaskanseminole

Heisman
Oct 20, 2002
246,583
13,992
103
God - if one exists - is nothing more than a word you use. And it's not even the same level of disconnect. The difference is we can see the Milky Way and measure it and study it and know without any doubt that it exists. There is zero evidence that the universe has a creator much less a creator who even knows the Milky Way exists - much less humans. And even if I conceded the first point (which I could entertain) ... and the second (a much harder slog) ... you still have nothing to suggest this entity intervenes in our reality in any way.

Where we agree is that you're free to believe whatever you like and your beliefs are your own and they don't belong in the public sphere influencing policy.
"If one exists"...well, it's a start. ;)

Seriously, though, I think "zero" evidence is a bit overstated. There may be no conclusive scientific proof of a creator but there are certainly philosophical arguments and evidence that people reasonably point to such as the existence/origin of the universe, fine-tuning, consciousness, morality, etc. Now, you may find those arguments unpersuasive and thats fair. But dismissing them as literally zero evidence is different from demonstrating they have no evidentiary value.
 

Moogy

All-American
Jul 28, 2017
7,629
5,434
113
Because you probably still would have had an issue with it and we’d still be where we are right now.

I would have no issue with you admitting, at an earlier time, that you're stupid and nuts. Why would you think that? Regardless, your attempt at making a point was foolish from the start, and your subsequent attempts to try to support your position were even weaker still. As such, I'm done with this exchange.
 

tarheelbybirth1

Heisman
Jul 4, 2025
5,774
16,383
113
"If one exists"...well, it's a start. ;)
Never denied it. :)

Seriously, though, I think "zero" evidence is a bit overstated. There may be no conclusive scientific proof of a creator but there are certainly philosophical arguments and evidence that people reasonably point to such as the existence/origin of the universe, fine-tuning, consciousness, morality, etc. Now, you may find those arguments unpersuasive and thats fair. But dismissing them as literally zero evidence is different from demonstrating they have no evidentiary value.
Problem is there's not one of those that requires a creator. It's all philosophical and the philosophy - such as it is - is that what we don't yet understand is somehow evidence that some god is responsible. That god was responsible for lightning and earthquakes and stars moving and fire and everything else at some point. That god has gotten smaller and smaller and smaller. That's why I'm willing to concede the possibility of a creator who set everything in motion but has no impact on the workings of that creation. That's the only god that science can't touch.
 
  • Like
Reactions: BelemNole

Wobmam Rulez!

All-American
Aug 4, 2025
4,677
7,247
113
God doesn't burn houses down, either. Faulty wiring or a stove left on or lightning or any of dozens of other things burn houses down. The religionist will celebrate their house burning down by saying their god saved them. The next religionist will thank their god for burning their child alive because now that child is with their god. That is one f'n sweet deal for this god character.

View attachment 1416562
He's not orange enough, some will say.
 
  • Like
Reactions: tarheelbybirth1

Wobmam Rulez!

All-American
Aug 4, 2025
4,677
7,247
113
When I was 21 and my mom died some people, including the pastor at the funeral, said God "needed another gardener up in heaven." There were plenty of "amens" and "god is good" before and after the funeral. What a joke.

The mythical sky fairy truly is a prick, and apparently selfish. My mom's flower gardens were indeed top-tier, though.
It's probably been a while but truly, sorry for your loss. I'll have @BrianNole777 say a rosary.
 

Wobmam Rulez!

All-American
Aug 4, 2025
4,677
7,247
113
If my MIL out lives one of my parents she is going to get all God's plan on me. I won't like it coming from her as she is a bit of a Christian Nationalist, but I understand she will be trying to comfort me in the way she knows how and the way she would want for herself.

Honestly, I think I would just want someone to tell me "About damn time, let's go get a drink.". Because that would be more inline with me and how I want people to react to my death.
🥂 to that! I wanted beer mugs but this was my choice for "cheers".
 
  • Like
Reactions: GesterHawk

PinkShizzle

All-Conference
Jul 9, 2025
2,139
4,825
113
When someone passes, I never know what to say so I just say that I'm sorry. It makes me feel uncomfortable. I'm afraid to say something that might offend when I don't mean to.
It's difficult. Now that I'm in my mid 30s, I've started having more and more friends whose parents have passed away.

I dont say a ton until they're ready to talk, and then I give my experience and what helped me get through it. I just try and help how I can.
 

hawkeyetraveler

Heisman
Aug 10, 2010
6,621
26,243
108
so you're a glass half empty kinda guy?

Look i get it, I'm not much on the whole presbyterian (and related spinoff) "double predestination" thingy either.

But this question of 'why does god let bad things happen to good people (and vice versa for that matter) is an old one which neither the pro-god nor the anti-god side really has much of an answer for. The best I can give you is that he does allow us to live in a condition of freedom, where good things and bad things can happen. Usually the limits on the bad things (like here) are ordinary rather than miraculous. but if it gets us thinking about things, perhaps that's not horrible.
It is illogical to say God is “all powerful, all knowing and all benevolent”. Those three conditions cannot literally be true at the same time in a world filled with strife.

I’m a Christian and I believe there is a higher power, but I highly doubt those three conditions are true. One or more of them is simply off. But I also don’t think the Bible is meant to be taken literally. I don’t believe the world was created in 7 days or that Noah‘s boat was the only thing to survive a global flood.

I believe in Christ’s message and try my best to walk in his footsteps. When I sin I try to atone for it as best I can. So if I end up in hell because I think God isn‘t all powerful, all knowing and benevolent … well so be it. I did my best.

In that situation God would have to be a pretty narcissistic a$$hole.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Aardvark86

LiveFreeOrDie97

All-American
Dec 16, 2001
2,853
5,712
113
It is illogical to say God is “all powerful, all knowing and all benevolent”. Those three conditions cannot literally be true at the same time in a world filled with strife.

I’m a Christian and I believe there is a higher power, but I highly doubt those three conditions are true. One or more of them is simply off. But I also don’t think the Bible is meant to be taken literally. I don’t believe the world was created in 7 days or that Noah‘s boat was the only thing to survive a global flood.

I believe in Christ’s message and try my best to walk in his footsteps. When I sin I try to atone for it as best I can. So if I end up in hell because I think God isn‘t all powerful, all knowing and benevolent … well so be it. I did my best.

In that situation God would have to be a pretty narcissistic a$$hole.

Gotta be honest, I thought you were above the god thing. Are you more in it from an everlasting-life-I-need-to-believe-there’s-more insurance perspective or a true believer?
 

tarheelbybirth1

Heisman
Jul 4, 2025
5,774
16,383
113
Jesus is the Christian God and He is more real than Zeus the myth.

C'mon, brah.

You should know this.
Jesus wasn’t a god. And he wasn’t the god of the Bible. He was an apocalyptic preacher who had “godhood” bestowed upon him after he died.
 

BrianNole777

All-American
Jun 5, 2025
6,285
6,327
113
Jesus wasn’t a god. And he wasn’t the god of the Bible. He was an apocalyptic preacher who had “godhood” bestowed upon him after he died.

Jesus told the religious authorities that He and the Father are "one" which is why He was crucified.

According to Christianity, Jesus is the 3rd person of the Trinity and is therefore God.

You are free to disagree, of course.
 
  • Like
Reactions: LiveFreeOrDie97
Tiger Illustrated

Latest

  1. 01 Tiger Illustrated Football What is Clemson's offense equipped to do vs. No. 4 Miami?
  2. 02 Tiger Illustrated Football Wednesday Clemson Football & Recruiting Insider
  3. 03 Tiger Illustrated Football Recruiting Wednesday Clemson Football Recruiting Nuggets
  4. 04 Tiger Illustrated Football Recruiting Behind recent Clemson vs. Miami recruiting battles 
  5. 05 Tiger Illustrated Football An object of intrigue within Clemson's defense moving forward