Chesney at UCLA

PSUForever

All-Conference
Feb 17, 2007
2,001
2,037
113
I live out here in LA and while driving today I listened to a local guy who has access to USC and UCLA.

This guy said Chesney has totally energized and galvanized the program. He described him as "fiery" "smart" and a great leader.

I liked the Campbell hire and still do. I am not giving up on Campbell so let me perfectly clear about that.

Chesney clearly has more charisma than Campbell and has elevated their recruiting. Charisma also doesn't win football games.

Let's see how the next couple of years shake out with these guys at their respective programs.
 

PSUForever

All-Conference
Feb 17, 2007
2,001
2,037
113
So if the Riley era in USC comes to an end and he takes the Baylor job does USC make Chesney an offer he can't refuse?
I don't know about that. I think UCLA will do what is needed to keep him. I think if UCLA beats USC in the Rose Bowl in the last game and Riley is canned and even if Riley is not canned, UCLA gives Chesney more money and a contract extension. This assumes he won 8 plus games.
 

PSUFTG

All-Conference
Nov 1, 2021
2,703
3,947
113
UCLA beat Purdue (in a competitive game) and Maryland - two teams that went 1-17 in the Big Ten last year. And look to be about the same (Purdue) and worse (Maryland) this year.

Might want to cool the jets.

UCLA does have, probably, the second easiest Big Ten schedule this year (behind only PSU) - so they will win at least a few more (they still have Wisconsin, Michigan State, Minnesota, and Nevada on their schedule - and not a lot of world beaters)

I expect Chesney is doing a fine job. And UCLA fans have reason - finally - to be a bit optimistic.
They certainly could win the 8+ as you mentioned, and I think their trajectory is definitely "up". But even as lousy as USC looks right now (and I think Riley is likely to flame out soon) USC is probably considered the better job overall. For now at least.
 

PSUForever

All-Conference
Feb 17, 2007
2,001
2,037
113
UCLA beat Purdue (in a competitive game) and Maryland - two teams that went 1-17 in the Big Ten last year. And look to be about the same (Purdue) and worse (Maryland) this year.

Might want to cool the jets.

UCLA does have, probably, the second easiest Big Ten schedule this year (behind only PSU) - so they will win at least a few more (they still have Wisconsin, Michigan State, Minnesota, and Nevada on their schedule - and not a lot of world beaters)

I expect Chesney is doing a fine job. And UCLA fans have reason - finally - to be a bit optimistic.
They certainly could win the 8+ as you mentioned, and I think their trajectory is definitely "up". But even as lousy as USC looks right now (and I think Riley is likely to flame out soon) USC is probably considered the better job overall. For now at least.
Too early but it could turn out that Chesney was the better hire for PSU than Campbell. Hope I'm wrong.
 
  • Haha
Reactions: Knickslions69

Nittering Nabob

All-Conference
Sep 17, 2024
3,694
3,502
113
UCLA beat Purdue (in a competitive game) and Maryland - two teams that went 1-17 in the Big Ten last year. And look to be about the same (Purdue) and worse (Maryland) this year.

Might want to cool the jets.

UCLA does have, probably, the second easiest Big Ten schedule this year (behind only PSU) - so they will win at least a few more (they still have Wisconsin, Michigan State, Minnesota, and Nevada on their schedule - and not a lot of world beaters)

I expect Chesney is doing a fine job. And UCLA fans have reason - finally - to be a bit optimistic.
They certainly could win the 8+ as you mentioned, and I think their trajectory is definitely "up". But even as lousy as USC looks right now (and I think Riley is likely to flame out soon) USC is probably considered the better job overall. For now at least.
If Riley somehow gets fired, I would like him at PSU instead of The Mouser Mouse.

The Mouse frequently "mouses" and he calls a very strange game. He has a few, not many, weapons on offense but he doesn't know how to properly use them and when.

Unfortunately, I think Campbell is highly dedicated to the guy, and unlike Franklin, doesn't have the ability to fire an underperformer / scapegoat.
 

MM1994

Sophomore
Oct 12, 2025
49
104
33
PSU could have had Bob Chesney from Kulpmont, Pa.
He is a great coach, hope UCLA gives Oregon a good game tomorrow.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Like
Reactions: Midnighter

BCS PSU

All-Conference
Jun 2, 2001
1,400
2,364
113
PSU could have had Bob Chesney from Kulpmont, Pa.
He is a great coach, hope UCLA gives Oregon a good game tomorrow.
Maybe PSU hired a good coach too; let’s see how things play out for more than the last two games. I posted early last December that I thought that PSU should’ve hired Chesney before he became the UCLA coach.

Remember that Chesney has a qb who took a SEC team to the playoffs in 2024, so he inherited a good player at the most important position.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Catch1lion

All-American
Oct 12, 2021
4,290
7,297
113
PSU could have had Bob Chesney from Kulpmont, Pa.
He is a great coach, hope UCLA gives Oregon a good game tomorrow.
Yep ran into another PSU friend who confirmed the same thing. Bob had 3 PSU interviews . Kraft told him two more candidates to interview. UCLA interview happened and the Bruins were smitten. Game over.
 
  • Angry
Reactions: Nittering Nabob

ChiTownLionPSU

All-American
May 29, 2001
13,168
6,414
113
Yep ran into another PSU friend who confirmed the same thing. Bob had 3 PSU interviews . Kraft told him two more candidates to interview. UCLA interview happened and the Bruins were smitten. Game over.
I could be off, but recall that Kraft was keeping Chesney warm as a backup to Sitake... meanwhile, UCLA offered the job to Chesney who then pushed PSU for an answer... PSU asked him to hold tight until things were formalized with Sitake... and then UCLA forced an answer from Chesney. A day or two later, Sitake reneged on his agreement with PSU and Chesney couldn't get out of his agreement with UCLA. Time will tell who was the better hire but Matt Campbell turned down an NFL offer from the Detroit Lions.
 

PSUFTG

All-Conference
Nov 1, 2021
2,703
3,947
113
Time will tell who was the better hire but Matt Campbell turned down an NFL offer from the Detroit Lions.
Back in 2021 ish. Maybe.
The Lions folks say definitely not. And the timeline supports that - wrt when NFL assistants, like the guy the Lions did hire, can be "talked to". If the Lions were at all interested in Dan Campbell, they could not have even interviewed him yet by the time Matt Campbell was rumored by some to have taken the job.
But no one on any side can ever be assumed to be telling the full truth in any of these hiring searches. Thats the one for sure thing.
Of course, if the Lions did think they had hired Campbell, Matt: at least they saved a few bucks on the nameplate for the office door of the guy who did eventually take the job "Coach Campbell" :sneaky:
 
  • Like
Reactions: Marshall2323

IANit

Junior
Dec 7, 2002
228
230
43
I don't know about that. I think UCLA will do what is needed to keep him. I think if UCLA beats USC in the Rose Bowl in the last game and Riley is canned and even if Riley is not canned, UCLA gives Chesney more money and a contract extension. This assumes he won 8 plus games.
I don't see him winning less than 10 after today.
 

MacNit

All-Conference
Oct 12, 2021
2,328
2,265
113
I live out here in LA and while driving today I listened to a local guy who has access to USC and UCLA.

This guy said Chesney has totally energized and galvanized the program. He described him as "fiery" "smart" and a great leader.

I liked the Campbell hire and still do. I am not giving up on Campbell so let me perfectly clear about that.

Chesney clearly has more charisma than Campbell and has elevated their recruiting. Charisma also doesn't win football games.

Let's see how the next couple of years shake out with these guys at their respective programs.
$ elevates recruiting.
 
BWI

Latest

  1. 01 BWI Football Penn State Sunday situation: The Lions don't lack an identity; it's the same as their record: Mediocre, and teetering on worse
  2. 02 BWI Football Penn State report card: Grading the Lions after their 31-23 loss to USC
  3. 03 BWI Football Everything Matt Campbell said after Penn State's third-straight loss
  4. 04 BWI Football Penn State's latest loss underscores gap between progress and results
  5. 05 BWI Football What did USC coach Lincoln Riley, Penn State players, say about the Lions' loss to USC? 'One of my favorite wins as a head coach'