Chesney at UCLA

PSUForever

All-Conference
Feb 17, 2007
1,976
1,993
113
I live out here in LA and while driving today I listened to a local guy who has access to USC and UCLA.

This guy said Chesney has totally energized and galvanized the program. He described him as "fiery" "smart" and a great leader.

I liked the Campbell hire and still do. I am not giving up on Campbell so let me perfectly clear about that.

Chesney clearly has more charisma than Campbell and has elevated their recruiting. Charisma also doesn't win football games.

Let's see how the next couple of years shake out with these guys at their respective programs.
 

PSUForever

All-Conference
Feb 17, 2007
1,976
1,993
113
So if the Riley era in USC comes to an end and he takes the Baylor job does USC make Chesney an offer he can't refuse?
I don't know about that. I think UCLA will do what is needed to keep him. I think if UCLA beats USC in the Rose Bowl in the last game and Riley is canned and even if Riley is not canned, UCLA gives Chesney more money and a contract extension. This assumes he won 8 plus games.
 

PSUFTG

All-Conference
Nov 1, 2021
2,666
3,908
113
UCLA beat Purdue (in a competitive game) and Maryland - two teams that went 1-17 in the Big Ten last year. And look to be about the same (Purdue) and worse (Maryland) this year.

Might want to cool the jets.

UCLA does have, probably, the second easiest Big Ten schedule this year (behind only PSU) - so they will win at least a few more (they still have Wisconsin, Michigan State, Minnesota, and Nevada on their schedule - and not a lot of world beaters)

I expect Chesney is doing a fine job. And UCLA fans have reason - finally - to be a bit optimistic.
They certainly could win the 8+ as you mentioned, and I think their trajectory is definitely "up". But even as lousy as USC looks right now (and I think Riley is likely to flame out soon) USC is probably considered the better job overall. For now at least.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Patterson825

PSUForever

All-Conference
Feb 17, 2007
1,976
1,993
113
UCLA beat Purdue (in a competitive game) and Maryland - two teams that went 1-17 in the Big Ten last year. And look to be about the same (Purdue) and worse (Maryland) this year.

Might want to cool the jets.

UCLA does have, probably, the second easiest Big Ten schedule this year (behind only PSU) - so they will win at least a few more (they still have Wisconsin, Michigan State, Minnesota, and Nevada on their schedule - and not a lot of world beaters)

I expect Chesney is doing a fine job. And UCLA fans have reason - finally - to be a bit optimistic.
They certainly could win the 8+ as you mentioned, and I think their trajectory is definitely "up". But even as lousy as USC looks right now (and I think Riley is likely to flame out soon) USC is probably considered the better job overall. For now at least.
Too early but it could turn out that Chesney was the better hire for PSU than Campbell. Hope I'm wrong.
 
  • Haha
Reactions: Knickslions69

Nittering Nabob

All-Conference
Sep 17, 2024
3,645
3,457
113
UCLA beat Purdue (in a competitive game) and Maryland - two teams that went 1-17 in the Big Ten last year. And look to be about the same (Purdue) and worse (Maryland) this year.

Might want to cool the jets.

UCLA does have, probably, the second easiest Big Ten schedule this year (behind only PSU) - so they will win at least a few more (they still have Wisconsin, Michigan State, Minnesota, and Nevada on their schedule - and not a lot of world beaters)

I expect Chesney is doing a fine job. And UCLA fans have reason - finally - to be a bit optimistic.
They certainly could win the 8+ as you mentioned, and I think their trajectory is definitely "up". But even as lousy as USC looks right now (and I think Riley is likely to flame out soon) USC is probably considered the better job overall. For now at least.
If Riley somehow gets fired, I would like him at PSU instead of The Mouser Mouse.

The Mouse frequently "mouses" and he calls a very strange game. He has a few, not many, weapons on offense but he doesn't know how to properly use them and when.

Unfortunately, I think Campbell is highly dedicated to the guy, and unlike Franklin, doesn't have the ability to fire an underperformer / scapegoat.
 
BWI

Latest

  1. 01 BWI Football There's no one fix but Penn State's Run Game Problems Trace Back to the Left Side of the Line
  2. 02 BWI Football Here's how Chip Kelly Broke The Penn State defense. Can other teams replicate it?
  3. 03 BWI Football In July, Pat Kraft thought Penn State was "poised to have a really exciting year." So far, it's been anything but
  4. 04 BWI Football Penn State Defensive Film Thread: Reviewing the Gory Details of a 400-Yard Rushing Performance
  5. 05 BWI Football Penn State has an identity problem. Matt Campbell knows fixing it starts with him