Considering that it seems that Miller doesn't want to coach anymore, I'm guessing that she won't want to be commissioner and deal with all of the public baggage that job comes with.
The commissioner works for the owners, not the players. I don't see the owners hiring a former player. I do see them trying to find someone that will maximize the value of their franchises though. Which means finding someone with a business background, or sports business at least.
With this of candidates I don't see much change
CandidateCurrent / Notable RoleBackground Highlights
Swin Cash -
Basketball Hall of Famer / Front Office - Former WNBA player, executive experience with New Orleans Pelicans
Keia Clarke -
CEO, New York Liberty -
Long tenure with Liberty since 2011, business degrees from NYU and Harvard
Bethany Donaphin -
SVP, Head of WNBA League Operations -
Deep internal league operations background
Jess Smith -
President, Golden State Valkyries - Franchise-level executive leadership for expansion team
Mark Tatum -
NBA Deputy Commissioner and COO -
Previous experience as WNBA interim president
Tanya Hvizdak -
VP of Global Sports Marketing, Nike -
Corporate and brand marketing background