WHC week 5

Patriot766355

Redshirt
Aug 3, 2026
57
40
18
Didn't realize the game was at Mitchell, that's even more impressive. I knew Hendo speed would be too much for them.
 
Dec 1, 2017
155
265
63
Didn't realize the game was at Mitchell, that's even more impressive. I knew Hendo speed would be too much for them.
I wouldn't necessarily say speed is what beat us. Hendo capitalized when it mattered most. Not taking anything at all from them but we had more offensive yards by a little over 100 yards. Hendo made big stops when it they needed it 4 drives inside the 15 and no points for Mitchell we definitely need to clean that up. Had Mitchell had their QB the game may have been different but who knows. I was impressed at how we looked without him especially against a very good and well coached Hendo team.
 
  • Like
Reactions: wncbowhunter
Mar 26, 2021
249
239
43
I wouldn't necessarily say speed is what beat us. Hendo capitalized when it mattered most. Not taking anything at all from them but we had more offensive yards by a little over 100 yards. Hendo made big stops when it they needed it 4 drives inside the 15 and no points for Mitchell we definitely need to clean that up. Had Mitchell had their QB the game may have been different but who knows. I was impressed at how we looked without him especially against a very good and well coached Hendo team.
Is it true their starting RB did not play? Seems like tou were there and I saw on this thread or another that he didn't. Just wondering.
 

Owen Stampede

All-Conference
Jul 20, 2006
4,489
1,541
62
Not even worth a response. Whatever helps you sleep at night. Old barbershop tails of the new land to explain away the beatdowns
 
Feb 29, 2016
11
4
3
No tales. I heard it from the horses mouth. One that was at that reform school in the late 90s and played football for Kenny Ford at Charles D Owen. It is well known. Just like Alabama paying players years before NIL and Sabin getting out when the playing field was leveled. Ford also hung it up when his advantage disappeared.
 
Dec 1, 2017
155
265
63
Is it true their starting RB did not play? Seems like tou were there and I saw on this thread or another that he didn't. Just wondering.
To be perfectly honest Im not sure if they had their starting RB or not. The kid they had running the ball was quick and made some good moves but we contained him pretty well. Don't quote me on this but seems like I heard on the radio we held Hendo to 60 something rushing yards. How ever I believe they had somewhere around 200 through the air
 

Owen Stampede

All-Conference
Jul 20, 2006
4,489
1,541
62
No tales. I heard it from the horses mouth. One that was at that reform school in the late 90s and played football for Kenny Ford at Charles D Owen. It is well known. Just like Alabama paying players years before NIL and Sabin getting out when the playing field was leveled. Ford also hung it up when his advantage disappeared.
That is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. I went to school in the late 90’s and I can pull you out my yearbook and show you all twenty some players we had in it. I walked the halls and had classes with everyone of our players. You start that crap every few years and it’s just simply not true. It is moronic however. And that “school” you refer every time(the juvenile evaluation center) was turned to a ladies prison decades ago. Not 2013. I hate to call someone stupid but the writing has been on the wall for a long time for you
 

Owen Stampede

All-Conference
Jul 20, 2006
4,489
1,541
62
I graduated in 1998. Went to Owen district my whole life. Was in the high school from 1995-1998. Senior year was the 1997 football season. So the 1994-1997 football seasons. You can blow smoke if you want to but I know that’s all it is. Owen lost its industry in the late 1990’s which is what happened to Owen. Not a reform school. You lose Beacon, Charles D. Owen mfg, Anvil, Drexel and more then you lose working class families and athletes. What is the excuse in Newland?
 
  • Like
Reactions: Purple Mountain

Owen Stampede

All-Conference
Jul 20, 2006
4,489
1,541
62
Our beast of a running back in the late 90’s was James “The Tank” Lewis. He went on to Harvard. He went to wrestle there. They didn’t give athletic scholarships but he received an academic scholarship. He won the state championship in wrestling 3 out of 4 years in high school I believe. We also had several other studs that wore out Avery and everyone else on that team that went on to get scholarships to college. In fact we received more scholarships in 1998 than any school in buncombe county and were the smallest school in the county. Doesn’t sound like a reform school student body and athletic institution. We had great athletes and smart brains at Owen and we just wore people out in that time. Just how it is. Didn’t have any reform school helping with that. We were 12-1 that season losing to Shelby in the 3rd round. Lost to Bandys the year before in the 3rd round finishing 11-2
 
Sep 10, 2018
70
76
18
Per Maxpreps stats-Hendersonville-Mitchell

Hendersonville had 122 yds rushing 212 passing. 334 total

Mitchell had 305 yds rushing 56 passing
361 total

Hendersonville's running back/linebacker Jordan Buford did not play due to an injury
 
  • Like
Reactions: wncbowhunter

bengal4life

Junior
Oct 27, 2024
374
387
63
Wasn’t 2013 when they closed down that reform school. Ford saw the writing on the wall and pulled a Nick Sabin and got out of town. Easy to win when they had 2 schools to pick from.
I use believe that , its not true . Owen has never got players from reform school, that's old excuse western highlands coaches use after owen gave then beatdowm.
 

Owen Stampede

All-Conference
Jul 20, 2006
4,489
1,541
62
I use believe that , its not true . Owen has never got players from reform school, that's old excuse western highlands coaches use after owen gave then beatdowm.
Some people need new material. He comes with that every couple years. Get passed it already. Some peoples children lol
 

Patriot766355

Redshirt
Aug 3, 2026
57
40
18
Someone told me they used to have to replace James Lewis jersey regularly because it would get destroyed as he was dragging people down the field lol. Seems like Avery used to have a a pretty good team about once a decade but even those days are long gone now. Crazy that all the teams directly beside Avery are all good but somehow Avery is awful. Watauga, Mitchell, Heritage. Hell even Cloudland has been really good recently.
 
Feb 29, 2016
11
4
3
That is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. I went to school in the late 90’s and I can pull you out my yearbook and show you all twenty some players we had in it. I walked the halls and had classes with everyone of our players. You start that crap every few years and it’s just simply not true. It is moronic however. And that “school” you refer every time(the juvenile evaluation center) was turned to a ladies prison decades ago. Not 2013. I hate to call someone stupid but the writing has been on the wall for a long time for you
Okay Owen didn’t have 2 schools to pick from. Owen didn’t cover up for numerous DUIs and Ford didn’t have a drinking problem. Enjoy the land of make believe!
 
  • Haha
Reactions: Owen Stampede
Feb 29, 2016
11
4
3
Someone told me they used to have to replace James Lewis jersey regularly because it would get destroyed as he was dragging people down the field lol. Seems like Avery used to have a a pretty good team about once a decade but even those days are long gone now. Crazy that all the teams directly beside Avery are all good but somehow Avery is awful. Watauga, Mitchell, Heritage. Hell even Cloudland has been really good recently.
Avery used to be competitive most years, but the program is in a bad place right now. The AD they just hired is a good guy and knows football. Give him a couple of years and I believe he will bring Avery back. Avery has some good athletes now. They can move the ball and put up points, but their defense struggles… Now I think Madison has had 1 good team in the last 20 years. How can you bash Avery when your program is worse?
 

Owen Stampede

All-Conference
Jul 20, 2006
4,489
1,541
62
Okay Owen didn’t have 2 schools to pick from. Owen didn’t cover up for numerous DUIs and Ford didn’t have a drinking problem. Enjoy the land of make believe!
You can’t clown someone who lived in the situation. You can try to spin something to someone who has no clue but not me. Just like I can’t speak to what goes on in and around Avery high school better than someone from the inside. You really need to get new material that don’t include trying to trash individuals on a message board. Individuals that have families etc. Kids can read your crap and wife’s can read your crap and it just isn’t right!
 
NC Preps

Latest

  1. 01 NC Preps G7 Football Players of the Week: Week 6
  2. 02 High School Football 2028 3-star QB Ethan Esmailian transferring to Leesville Road (N.C.)
  3. 03 NC Preps Games to Watch in Week 6
  4. 04 NC Preps G7 Football Players of the Week: Week 5
  5. 05 NC Preps Games to Watch - Week 5