You think if everything was the same but it said UK on their jerseys, you would be ok with losing to Syracuse at home, being down 21 to UL, and being a half inch away from losing at home to 11-17 Wake Forest? You don't think Cal would be getting major flak over that?
I mean, there’s “be okay with it” and then there’s “be okay with it,” right?
Would I be okay with us losing? Of course not. I want to win every fricking game.
But would I blame Cal or any of the players or the whole team collectively? Most likely not. It’s not my way. Lots of folks do that to Cal/team all the time, but I don’t. I don’t see it as either productive or emotionally strong.
Not saying I’m better than anyone else, just saying it’s the way I am personally. Call me simple. I find I am happier living in a world where there’s not necessarily a need to blame anybody when something goes wrong. **** just happens.
I am not at all incapable of getting pissed off at a particularly boneheaded decision by Cal or by anybody else. But still, in general I get pissed off when we lose, but I don’t tend to get pissed off at anyone. (Even when I really believe the refs have affected things unfairly—even to the point where it sure looks like they must have done it intentionally, which generally does happen at least one time a year, I don’t really dwell on it besides making jokes about it and wishing it would stop. Anything more would feel like weakness to me.)
Maybe I should be trying to put all this another way:
If someone is smarter about basketball than me generally, and he honestly seems to be trying to make my team win, then I don’t really feel like I have the right or even the need to say he’s doing a bad job. Doesn’t mean I worship him or even like everything he’s doing. But I feel comfortable giving him a pass for whatever individual moves I don’t like or even hate, as long as he’s trying to behave honorably in general (we’re all human), and as long as I can step back and feel like he’s generally got the program headed in a good direction in terms of success (which I think anyone would have to say about Cal and also about K and his program).
And given that I think all that, I can extrapolate it over to K because I want to be fair to K. It’s unfairness that I hate, and in the times I get emotional and feel myself wanting to hate K, it’s because I feel he’s cheating somehow——in those times I feel that he’s doing it, whether that’s reality or not.
And if I hate unfair behavior so much, why the hell would I want to do It myself on purpose? So that’s why I say can’t see myself blaming K for that stuff, at least not enough to think it meant he was doing a bad job. It doesn’t have anything at all to do with any special love for K. It is in fact explicitly because I would never think Cal was doing a bad (year-long) coaching job for those things, even if for some reason I thought those examples were coaching flubs individually. (I can’t speak to whether they are K’s individual coaching flubs in the cases you listed. Because I didn’t know about them. Generally I can’t stand to watch a Duke game.)