Would be 4th 1-11 or worse in 15 years. What about Jay Hopson. Somehow he had 4 winning seasons there. Seriously that may be the worst program in I-A.Charles Huff is a dang wizard for just making them decent last year.
They are about to have their second 1-11 season in 3 years
I say they’re going 1-11, looking at their schedule they MIGHT have a chance for a win against ULM (currently 0-5).Would be 4th 1-11 or worse in 15 years. What about Jay Hopson. Somehow he had 4 winning seasons there. Seriously that may be the worst program in I-A.
I guess we had the 40's.USM will always have the 80's just like Ole Miss will always have the late 50's/early 60's
"Southern Miss: Mississippi's Suitcase College!" or "Southern Miss: Your high school after high school" should be their marketing slogans.That place is an amalgam of Co-Lin, Perk and Purrrhh River all Livin’ theyyy best life in the big city.*****
At State’s orientation this summer, we met some folks from NJ whose daughter wanted to go to school down south. They didn’t even look at USM because their demographics are only from about a 90 mile radius.
That school simply cannot remain in FBS much longer. Their fan simply doesn’t invest enough in the school.
And the first 8 weeks of 2014.I guess we had the 40's.
That's some Mississippi State luck that the only year they have pulse in the last 5 years is when we play them.Charles Huff is a dang wizard for just making them decent last year.
They are about to have their second 1-11 season in 3 years
Thought he resigned. He wanted to hire Art Briles and got on the wrong side of the then school president for one thing.I say they’re going 1-11, looking at their schedule they MIGHT have a chance for a win against ULM (currently 0-5).
The thing about Hopson is they fired his rear end after one game in 2020. Never had a losing season there and got fired in 2020 before State and Ole Miss had even started their seasons..
Looks pretty dang stupid now.
Thought he resigned. He wanted to hire Art Briles and got on the wrong side of the then school president for one thing.
That's some Mississippi State luck that the only year they have pulse in the last 5 years is when we play them.
A quick Google AI shows Troy at about $39M and USM at about $33.5M. About 16% more. Not huge, but it's significant. I suspect USM athletic revenues & expenditures are near the bottom of the Sunbelt.What is the difference in USM and every other G6 school? By and large, none of them have any money. I see no reason for them to go FCS. That's just wishful thinking.
Troy doesn't have any more money than they do. Sounds to me like their coach just sucks or they are just in a down period.
It was an ongoing issue. He resigned rather than being fired....same difference thoughThe Briles thing was in early 2019. Hopson got fired after they lost their season opener in 2020.
I am just glad we didn't catch a USM team with a pulse against our 2024 team.That's some Mississippi State luck that the only year they have pulse in the last 5 years is when we play them.
I am just glad we didn't catch a USM team with a pulse against our 2024 team.
this sounds like a good optionThere needs to be another division for teams like USM. They have no chance whatsoever to compete in D1...even before NIL they had no chance.
I like USM; I even had a black and gold mini-football when I was a kid...but they are done upsetting power 4 conference football teams.this sounds like a good option
I like having my golden buzzards close by........
I mean, the least they can do is be a talent development avenue for players that need some time before they hit the transfer portal
The answer is three subdivisions in Division I.this sounds like a good option
I like having my golden buzzards close by........
I mean, the least they can do is be a talent development avenue for players that need some time before they hit the transfer portal
FBS needs to split. P4 form one division, let's call that I-A. And G6 form another division, let's call that I-AA. Problem for USM is, the last 15 years they really haven't been very competitive even at the G6 level.There needs to be another division for teams like USM. They have no chance whatsoever to compete in D1...even before NIL they had no chance.
You can't take away NIL at this point.The answer is three subdivisions in Division I.
Power 4 Scholarship + NIL (I could see a handful of current G5s want to stay, but mainly P4)
D1 Scholarship No NIL (where most of the G5 + FCS will live)
D1 Non-Football Scholarship No NIL (will see a ton of D1 basketball schools like Creighton and Georgetown add football)
D2 and D3 would be Small College Sports with a Scholarship division and a Non-Scholarship division, No NIL allowed
You fix a lot of problems by reshaping the 4 current divisions/subdivisions into five.
I think you can form a non-NIL division and schools can choose to be a part of it. Obviously there will be a dip in recruiting but there absolutely needs to be a non-NIL division for schools like USM. Its either that or the death of football at those schools.You can't take away NIL at this point.
Now if you mean rev-share, maybe.
Maroon and White Football
Mississippi State Bye Week Watchlist
Maroon and White
Mississippi State Basketball tipoff times finalized
Rivals Basketball Recruiting
Mississippi State, Maryland & UCF talking visits with 4-star forward K'Nard Callendar
Maroon and White Football
"Fine line": Mississippi State HC Jeff Lebby speaks on managing health and preparation
Maroon and White Football Recruiting
2028 4-star RB Zaiden Jernigan talks Mississippi State visit