Tropical Depression 9

skipperDawg

Senior
Dec 23, 2023
710
631
88
The City Of Gulf Shores had a post on Facebook this morning announcing that the shrimp festival is still on and asking residents to allow vendors and guests to evacuate first if and when an evacuation is announced. In my opinion vendors and guests shouldn’t be there, they had a choice and 17em, they’re on their own.
You going to stay on the coast Dawg?
 

The Peeper

Heisman
Feb 26, 2008
16,729
12,495
113
Some dipshìt filled up 9 cans of gas. God I hate these new people. We’ll run out of gas for a cat 2 and people that need to go to work will be struggling to find stations with gas. On another note, I felt bad bad for my neighbor that spent all day putting up Halloween decorations Thursday. They were putting them back up this afternoon.
Every June when hurricane season starts, I fill up about 10 or so 5&6 gallon cans myself w/ gas and Stabil gas treatment and put them in the barn for my generator and car if needed. Sometime after February once ice season is over I start using them in my old beater truck that I haul lumber, mulch, plants, etc in and run it down until I have a couple 5 gallon cans worth that I keep year round. Katrina taught me a lesson I won't forget, damn those long gas lines and rationing. I didn't need the gas myself but had friends and relatives in the Pine Belt that needed it badly. Bourbon and gasoline were the two commodities they all seemed to want, maybe that's just the crowd I hang with?
 

HailStout

Heisman
Jan 4, 2020
6,208
17,778
113
Every June when hurricane season starts, I fill up about 10 or so 5&6 gallon cans myself w/ gas and Stabil gas treatment and put them in the barn for my generator and car if needed. Sometime after February once ice season is over I start using them in my old beater truck that I haul lumber, mulch, plants, etc in and run it down until I have a couple 5 gallon cans worth that I keep year round. Katrina taught me a lesson I won't forget, damn those long gas lines and rationing. I didn't need the gas myself but had friends and relatives in the Pine Belt that needed it badly. Bourbon and gasoline were the two commodities they all seemed to want, maybe that's just the crowd I hang with?
You are doing it wrong. Wait until the hurricane enters the gulf and then panic buy gasoline to make sure it runs out
 

Hugh's Burner Phone

All-American
Aug 3, 2017
5,453
6,402
113
Every now and then I get asked why I am on this board - these weather threads are the biggest reason. As a single dad with two kids at a Jackson area private school, I ain't exactly rolling in cash, but @Hugh's Burner Phone gets a donation. Excellent work as always.
I appreciate the kind words and the donation.

I forgot to add that all donations are 100% tax deductible, too, since we are a charitable nonprofit.
 

Hugh's Burner Phone

All-American
Aug 3, 2017
5,453
6,402
113
Not much change in the 10:00am update. Winds have increased to 45mph and the forecast track is relatively unchanged. We should start getting the morning model runs in over the next 1-3 hours so we'll know then if they're agreeing with the current track forecast.
 

patdog

Heisman
May 28, 2007
60,550
31,810
113
The City Of Gulf Shores had a post on Facebook this morning announcing that the shrimp festival is still on and asking residents to allow vendors and guests to evacuate first if and when an evacuation is announced. In my opinion vendors and guests shouldn’t be there, they had a choice and 17em, they’re on their own.
Yeah, if I'm living there and they order an evacuation, I'm heading north. I'm not waiting several hours.
 

Hugh's Burner Phone

All-American
Aug 3, 2017
5,453
6,402
113
Several of the morning model runs are in. Here is their current thinking as far as landfall location, strength, and landfall timing.

GFS Gulf Shores Cat 1 Overnight Friday
Canadian Biloxi Cat 1 Saturday morning.
ICON Pensacola Cat 1 Overnight Friday
UKMET MS/AL line. Cat 2 Saturday morning
GFSAI Pensacola Cat 1 Saturday morning
NAM Gulf Shores Trop Strm Overnight Friday
RDPS Bay St Louis Cat 1/2 Overnight Friday
Euro Biloxi Cat 1. Saturday morning

Edited to add Euro.
 
Last edited:

mcdawg22

Heisman
Sep 18, 2004
13,673
12,189
113
Every June when hurricane season starts, I fill up about 10 or so 5&6 gallon cans myself w/ gas and Stabil gas treatment and put them in the barn for my generator and car if needed. Sometime after February once ice season is over I start using them in my old beater truck that I haul lumber, mulch, plants, etc in and run it down until I have a couple 5 gallon cans worth that I keep year round. Katrina taught me a lesson I won't forget, damn those long gas lines and rationing. I didn't need the gas myself but had friends and relatives in the Pine Belt that needed it badly. Bourbon and gasoline were the two commodities they all seemed to want, maybe that's just the crowd I hang with?
We gradually buy water bit by bit over the spring and accumulate it. We use it for our annual karaoke party, Halloween, New Years, and Super Bowl parties for the kids and non drinkers. If we still have a lot left over we just store it. We are a drink from the fridge/faucet family.
 

Hugh's Burner Phone

All-American
Aug 3, 2017
5,453
6,402
113
How bad will it suck going early morning saturday through sunday afternoon with the fam in NOLA
Will all depend on the eventual track. If it goes into AL or Florida impacts should be minimal. If it goes into MS then NOLA will see some heavy rain and gusty north winds. Storm surge would not be an issue, though.
 

johnson86-1

All-American
Aug 22, 2012
15,188
5,727
113
I don't understand that logic. They admit there's a distinct possibility of an event that would necessitate an evacuation yet they're still holding an event that will bring in 1,000's of extra people. Reminds me of the mayor in Jaws refusing to close the beaches and then trying to justify it after the attack.
Lots of events get cancelled and then have beautiful weather. Easy to say better safe than sorry when it’s not your money, but I get the pressure for the people responsible.
Plus you have to remember that while we’ve had a quiet two years, there are years where there are multiple close calls and people get used to waiting until the last safe moment, and sometimes beyond, to make a final decision. The Mississippi coast was in a cone for a hurricane something crazy like 5 different times one year without I don’t think ever being hit. Probably like 5 years ago?

ETA: looks like it was 2020 and there were 6 cones that touched them before finally getting hit by zeta.
 

PCHSDawg

Junior
Nov 12, 2014
362
338
63
I guess a benefit of the dry summer is the ground is as hard as I've seen it so the wind will have to work to uproot my trees.
 

Col. Forbin

Junior
Oct 2, 2012
1,370
251
63
Is the NHC relying heavier on Google AI modeling over the traditional models on this one? The Google AI model run has this storm hitting more east around pensacola than the others from what I have seen.
 

Coast_Dawg

Senior
Nov 16, 2020
1,338
725
113
Several of the morning model runs are in. Here is their current thinking as far as landfall location, strength, and landfall timing.

GFS Gulf Shores Cat 1 Overnight Friday
Canadian Biloxi Cat 1 Saturday morning.
ICON Pensacola Cat 1 Overnight Friday
UKMET MS/AL line. Cat 2 Saturday morning
GFSAI Pensacola Cat 1 Saturday morning
NAM Gulf Shores Trop Strm Overnight Friday
RDPS Bay St Louis Cat 1/2 Overnight Friday
Euro Biloxi Cat 1. Saturday morning

Edited to add Euro.
Canadians, Euro’s, UK’s, RDPS can respectfully go 17 themselves. That is all. Thank you for the updates.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Darryl Steight
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Football Recruiting 2028 4-star RB Zaiden Jernigan talks Mississippi State visit
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football 2027 Mississippi State commit Julian "Juju" McDonald shuts down recruitment
  3. 03 Maroon and White Baseball "This is Home": 2028 OF Axton Westmoreland commits to Mississippi State
  4. 04 Maroon and White Basketball Mississippi State MBK Assistants speak on size and length added to 26-27 squad
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football "Go make the play": Mississippi State HC Jeff Lebby on Defense and responding to Alabama game