Tropical Depression 9

Hugh's Burner Phone

All-American
Aug 3, 2017
5,450
6,394
113
Has now formed in the Gulf. Consensus has it becoming a hurricane and making landfall Friday evening / night. Current projected path has that somewhere between Pascagoula and Mobile, but that will always shift between now and then. Anybody from Nola to Gulf Shores should be thinking about preparing for this storm just in case there's a larger than expected deviation from the current projected path.

As a reminder, we have a Skycam in Biloxi and will more than likely have a chaser or two down there. I may be one of them. If anybody would like to sponsor the Biloxi camera it will be getting a lot of views as the storm approaches and we could have your logo on the live feed. Not to mention it would greatly help us out. I'll put the link to the camera in the comments shortly.


IMG_2772.png
 

ckDOG

All-American
Dec 11, 2007
10,418
6,813
113
Wouldn't that front and all the dry air that came through crap all over the development?
 

mcdawg22

Heisman
Sep 18, 2004
13,673
12,184
113
Some dipshìt filled up 9 cans of gas. God I hate these new people. We’ll run out of gas for a cat 2 and people that need to go to work will be struggling to find stations with gas. On another note, I felt bad bad for my neighbor that spent all day putting up Halloween decorations Thursday. They were putting them back up this afternoon.
 

Hugh's Burner Phone

All-American
Aug 3, 2017
5,450
6,394
113
Wouldn't that front and all the dry air that came through crap all over the development?
No. Dew points over the Gulf are in the mid 70's and water temps are still more than sufficient to sustain development. The biggest thing that could hinder strengthening would be wind shear and, unfortunately, that looks to be at a minimum through the week.
 

Hugh's Burner Phone

All-American
Aug 3, 2017
5,450
6,394
113
And I'm going to go ahead and shamelessly put my hat in hand and ask if anybody is willing to donate anything...even $5...we'd be extremely appreciative. Besides our cameras that we have sponsorship slots for (besides Grenada), we also have our automatic alert system. Anytime a watch, warning, or advisory is issued anywhere in the state, it automatically makes a post on our Facebook and X pages. They typically get a lot of views so it would get quite a bit of visibility statewide.

I'll be honest...we lost a few donors and sponsors and we're now where we have several camera locations where we could install cameras but don't have the funds to do so. We also have a site down that's going to take a new camera that we can't currently replace. So if anybody has a couple of spare Washingtons laying around, I humbly request you send them our way. I've been working with local officials today on a possible new site on the I-20 corridor that's all but approved. Also with locations over in the delta and across north MS just waiting on us to be able to put cameras up.
 

ckDOG

All-American
Dec 11, 2007
10,418
6,813
113
No. Dew points over the Gulf are in the mid 70's and water temps are still more than sufficient to sustain development. The biggest thing that could hinder strengthening would be wind shear and, unfortunately, that looks to be at a minimum through the week.
Bored Will And Grace GIF by Cameo
 

Darryl Steight

All-American
Sep 30, 2022
4,769
8,024
113
Has now formed in the Gulf. Consensus has it becoming a hurricane and making landfall Friday evening / night. Current projected path has that somewhere between Pascagoula and Mobile, but that will always shift between now and then. Anybody from Nola to Gulf Shores should be thinking about preparing for this storm just in case there's a larger than expected deviation from the current projected path.

As a reminder, we have a Skycam in Biloxi and will more than likely have a chaser or two down there. I may be one of them. If anybody would like to sponsor the Biloxi camera it will be getting a lot of views as the storm approaches and we could have your logo on the live feed. Not to mention it would greatly help us out. I'll put the link to the camera in the comments shortly.


View attachment 1472182
These might be super dumb questions, but don't gulf hurricanes typically come in from the east and gain momentum over the water? Why is this one coming from the west, and how did it form this quickly (I assume) over Mexico?
 

57stratdawg

Heisman
Dec 1, 2004
148,711
24,584
113
I got Phish tickets this weekend at Orion. Feeling like it’s going to get cancelled.

40mph, 90% chance of rain on Saturday.
 

mcdawg22

Heisman
Sep 18, 2004
13,673
12,184
113
These might be super dumb questions, but don't gulf hurricanes typically come in from the east and gain momentum over the water? Why is this one coming from the west, and how did it form this quickly (I assume) over Mexico?
October hurricane and weirdly early May/June Hurricanes commonly do this. I think it’s because the Gulf Stream weakens a little so the Atlantic doesn’t have as much influence on the Gulf. Milton and Opal were both October storms like this
 
  • Like
Reactions: Darryl Steight

Hugh's Burner Phone

All-American
Aug 3, 2017
5,450
6,394
113
These might be super dumb questions, but don't gulf hurricanes typically come in from the east and gain momentum over the water? Why is this one coming from the west, and how did it form this quickly (I assume) over Mexico?
They can form anywhere over the tropical Atlantic basin. This time of year, the Gulf is a prime area to watch for development. It formed over water in the Bay of Campeche. It did organize quickly, but that's not uncommon when the systems are in favorable locations.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Darryl Steight

OG Goat Holder

Heisman
Sep 30, 2022
14,214
13,058
113
No. Dew points over the Gulf are in the mid 70's and water temps are still more than sufficient to sustain development. The biggest thing that could hinder strengthening would be wind shear and, unfortunately, that looks to be at a minimum through the week.
They’ve all been talking about this “shear” until now. Obviously now that this thing will strengthen, it’s a concern, a Cat 2 is nothing to play with....but did this shear suddenly disappear? Are we certain it won’t dissipate once it hits it?

I’m just asking questions….
 

Hugh's Burner Phone

All-American
Aug 3, 2017
5,450
6,394
113
They’ve all been talking about this “shear” until now. Obviously now that this thing will strengthen, it’s a concern, a Cat 2 is nothing to play with....but did this shear suddenly disappear? Are we certain it won’t dissipate once it hits it?

I’m just asking questions….
I looked at the latest GFS and it was showing very minimal shear over the Gulf this week. I know earlier they were expecting there to be enough shear to keep it weak. Evidently, that has changed. With water temps what they are, if shear is minimal, then there is nothing to prevent this from steadily increasing in strength and a category 2 is certainly not out of the question. A further west path may hamper strengthening some as it'll go over land sooner than a more eastern track.
 
  • Like
Reactions: OG Goat Holder

skipperDawg

Senior
Dec 23, 2023
710
631
88
Thanks Hugh
For us old retired Dawgs on the Alabama coast appreciate this ..
Looks like we could possibly get hit with a cat 2.
 

mcdawg22

Heisman
Sep 18, 2004
13,673
12,184
113
Curious if they cancel the Exhibition basketball game Saturday. It should be past us in Pcola by then but could hamper travel.
 

TaleofTwoDogs

All-Conference
Jun 1, 2004
4,345
2,141
113
Curious if they cancel the Exhibition basketball game Saturday. It should be past us in Pcola by then but could hamper travel.
As of today, I think the basketball game in Pensacola is still on against FSU this Saturday. Friday's baseball exhib. game against Auburn in Biloxi has been moved from this Friday back to Thursday. The Saturday game against USM has been cancelled.
 

Hotdiggydawg

Redshirt
Aug 23, 2012
85
14
8
And I'm going to go ahead and shamelessly put my hat in hand and ask if anybody is willing to donate anything...even $5...we'd be extremely appreciative. Besides our cameras that we have sponsorship slots for (besides Grenada), we also have our automatic alert system. Anytime a watch, warning, or advisory is issued anywhere in the state, it automatically makes a post on our Facebook and X pages. They typically get a lot of views so it would get quite a bit of visibility statewide.

I'll be honest...we lost a few donors and sponsors and we're now where we have several camera locations where we could install cameras but don't have the funds to do so. We also have a site down that's going to take a new camera that we can't currently replace. So if anybody has a couple of spare Washingtons laying around, I humbly request you send them our way. I've been working with local officials today on a possible new site on the I-20 corridor that's all but approved. Also with locations over in the delta and across north MS just waiting on us to be able to put cameras up.
Can you provide a link to make a donation? If I missed it I apologize.
 

Dawgbite

Heisman
Nov 1, 2011
9,914
11,354
113
The City Of Gulf Shores had a post on Facebook this morning announcing that the shrimp festival is still on and asking residents to allow vendors and guests to evacuate first if and when an evacuation is announced. In my opinion vendors and guests shouldn’t be there, they had a choice and 17em, they’re on their own.
 

Hugh's Burner Phone

All-American
Aug 3, 2017
5,450
6,394
113
I don't understand that logic. They admit there's a distinct possibility of an event that would necessitate an evacuation yet they're still holding an event that will bring in 1,000's of extra people. Reminds me of the mayor in Jaws refusing to close the beaches and then trying to justify it after the attack.
The City Of Gulf Shores had a post on Facebook this morning announcing that the shrimp festival is still on and asking residents to allow vendors and guests to evacuate first if and when an evacuation is announced. In my opinion vendors and guests shouldn’t be there, they had a choice and 17em, they’re on their own.
 

OG Goat Holder

Heisman
Sep 30, 2022
14,214
13,058
113
The City Of Gulf Shores had a post on Facebook this morning announcing that the shrimp festival is still on and asking residents to allow vendors and guests to evacuate first if and when an evacuation is announced. In my opinion vendors and guests shouldn’t be there, they had a choice and 17em, they’re on their own.
No matter what, even if it's not inherently dangerous, it's going to be miserable conditions for a festival. I think I'd just make that call now if I was the City. It sucks but nothing good comes out of trying to keep it going.
 
  • Like
Reactions: mcdawg22

Hugh's Burner Phone

All-American
Aug 3, 2017
5,450
6,394
113
Most everywhere I look still has it weakening pretty rapidly once it hits the north gulf
There's a chance shear develops near the coastline Friday and if that does it'll weaken. However, it's still forecast to be a hurricane and even a minimal hurricane is nothing to take lightly. I'm also not convinced the forecast track doesn't shift back west into MS. A lot of of the overnight models are showing this so interested in seeing what the morning runs show.
 
Nov 16, 2005
29,327
24,515
113
Most everywhere I look still has it weakening pretty rapidly once it hits the north gulf. Once you get past all the click bait
Depends on how fast it moves. If it slows down there’s enough shear there to weaken it before landfall but if it speeds up it will be stronger at landfall because the shear won’t have time to knock it back. Still quite a bit of spread on the forecast models too with intensity and location but that will probably tighten up later today.
 

HotMop

All-American
May 8, 2006
8,612
7,377
113

mcdawg22

Heisman
Sep 18, 2004
13,673
12,184
113
Most everywhere I look still has it weakening pretty rapidly once it hits the north gulf. Once you get past all the click bait
Yeah. The shear is supposed to do that but it’s also gonna spin up tornadoes on the east side. That is my problem. Plus i just got all the leaves out of the pool from this weekends storm!
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Baseball "This is Home": 2028 OF Axton Westmoreland commits to Mississippi State
  2. 02 Maroon and White Basketball Mississippi State MBK Assistants speak on size and length added to 26-27 squad
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football "Go make the play": Mississippi State HC Jeff Lebby on Defense and responding to Alabama game
  4. 04 Maroon and White Basketball Mississippi State WBK to play exhibition at Choctaw Central HS
  5. 05 Rivals Football Recruiting WR Darion Moseley backs off pledge to Arkansas, has Big Ten and SEC schools on his list