Todays game has been cancelled

Go Budaw

Redshirt
Aug 22, 2012
7,321
0
36
Didn’t have much at all to gain from playing them so no big deal.

Nonsense. I was told all our players needed innings, coachable moments, etc. against crappy competition, we had to honor the scheduled games, cancelling them would be a loser mentality, and so forth. I guess a lot of folks are going to be upset.
 

MSUDC11

Redshirt
Aug 23, 2012
7,316
0
0
Nonsense. I was told all our players needed innings, coachable moments, etc. against crappy competition, we had to honor the scheduled games, cancelling them would be a loser mentality, and so forth. I guess a lot of folks are going to be upset.

I think outright cancelling them because “your RPI is bad so we don’t want to play you” is a little disrespectful to the other team that agreed to bus several hours to your ballpark so they could probably lose by 8-10 runs. That said, sometimes bad weather is not the worst thing when you’re scheduled to play one of those types of teams.
 

basedawg

Senior
Aug 22, 2012
1,034
810
113
It hurts somewhat on pitchers who need the work. I'd rather play but I have a little more interest.
 

Bill Shankly

Redshirt
Nov 27, 2020
2,095
0
0
I take it y'all haven't looked at the weather forecast for Starkville tonight. There is little chance they would get the game in tonight.
 

DoggieDaddy13

All-Conference
Dec 23, 2017
3,925
2,317
113
According to MSU Baseball twitter account.

Craptacular weather.... would have taken 6 plus hours to play and likely been called. Hate it, because I really love listening to the games during the week. They are usually more relaxing.

And you get to listen to Jim complain about how long the game is going. Always fun.
 

The Peeper

Heisman
Feb 26, 2008
16,669
12,365
113
The left side of the infield sure as hell needs innings to try and learn to make a throw across the diamond
 

Go Budaw

Redshirt
Aug 22, 2012
7,321
0
36
I think outright cancelling them because “your RPI is bad so we don’t want to play you” is a little disrespectful to the other team that agreed to bus several hours to your ballpark so they could probably lose by 8-10 runs. That said, sometimes bad weather is not the worst thing when you’re scheduled to play one of those types of teams.

Disrespectful or not, it happens all the time in college baseball. If we really wanted to play this game, we could easily reschedule this game for the Monday before Jacksonville State next week (UT Martin will already be heading to MS to play Ole Miss on the following Tuesday anyway, and also have a Thurs-Sat series this weekend like we do). Or, for an even easier solution, we could have pulled it ahead to an afternoon start time. But we won’t, because we don’t really want to play it that badly. Just like we didn’t want to play the MVSU game in spite of multiple opportunities to do so. The reasoning there was the same. And it’s not just RPI....it’s risk of injuries as well. The latter of which is a much bigger concern than any potential RPI impact.
 
Last edited:
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Rivals Football Recruiting Wiltfong Whiparound: Mega prediction for Kentucky; Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi State all made big recruiting moves in week four
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football Sunday Notebook: No. 24 Mississippi State 31-24 No. 19 Mizzou
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State's defense bends without breaking again
  4. 04 Maroon and White Mississippi State PFF Grades from 31-24 win over Mizzou
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State's Week 5 date with No. 8 Alabama set for early window