Thought on Kendal Briles

JoeMorrisonLives

Joined Nov 16, 2020
Nov 20, 2020
6,373
10,259
113
I've long thought that the Art Briles offense just isn't effective against the top defenses. Just look at Tennessee in '22. The only teams with great DBs across the board on their schedule was us and UGA.

We were weak as he'll up front, so they got their yards, largely in the ground but we took away yards after the catch they destroyed Bama with.

UGA was great at all 11. They allowed no free releases, they went heavy man coverage, so the wide alignment didn't create gaps to exploit. In a year that Hooker usually knew who would be open before the snap, and was the most efficient passer in the nation, he held onto the ball until he was buried by the DL. The decent pro-spread teams UGA played had much more success. That was the best offense that system produced, and it only scored 13 against the one team they played that could just line up, man-up and have the athletes to keep up in bump- and- run.

Now when i look up Arkansas with Briles, TCU with Briles, and watching us Saturday, I see a lot more 12, or even 21 personnel, when the Briles offense traditionally was 11 personnel. I see all receivers running patterns, not half the field loafing because they're actually not targets, etc. I don't see a lot of stacked receivers, guys sitting outside the numbers, RPO more plays than not. We had a good mix of called runs, called passes abs RPOs as well.

All this to say, that the Briles system, like Lebby runs at MSST, and similar to what Heupel runs, has a very defined set of rules, that KB seems to not fit in the way he once did. Now, i know a lot has been made of the impact KB had on Kiffin, with Kiffin incorporating more option routes, RPOs, tempo, and focusing on a playbook small enough for college kids to master as part time football players. My question is, did KB move just as much towards Kiffin? He did call the plays for Kiffin when Kiffin evolved his system at FAU. Not to say anyone else is Kiffin, he's the brightest offensive kind active in FBS right now. I'm just thinking we're closer to the third SEC team with Lane Kiffin's offense, than the third team with Art Briles's offense.

Just some thoughts.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Cackmandu

JoeMorrisonLives

Joined Nov 16, 2020
Nov 20, 2020
6,373
10,259
113
Watching Smitty on YouTube, one of the passes he broke down was the third read. Across the field from the first 2. Veer and shoot is traditionally half-field read, with 2 reads and a check down, with 2 being inactive, so that confirmed in a film break down one of the things i thought i saw.
 

Sleepyhead

Senior
Jul 23, 2023
539
417
63
I think he’s in a pretty good position to be the next head coach. I like Beamer for the most part aside from some of his theatrics. He’s recruited exceptionally well and has the programs in a really good spot. I just don’t think you can justify letting Briles get away from the staff if things continue to go well.
 

Lurker123

All-American
May 4, 2020
7,013
5,766
113
I think he’s in a pretty good position to be the next head coach. I like Beamer for the most part aside from some of his theatrics. He’s recruited exceptionally well and has the programs in a really good spot. I just don’t think you can justify letting Briles get away from the staff if things continue to go well.

How do you get rid of Beamer if things are going well, in order to promote Briles?
 
  • Like
Reactions: RAtheOLcoach

kidrobinski

All-Conference
Jul 27, 2004
1,513
1,345
113
I think he’s in a pretty good position to be the next head coach. I like Beamer for the most part aside from some of his theatrics. He’s recruited exceptionally well and has the programs in a really good spot. I just don’t think you can justify letting Briles get away from the staff if things continue to go well.
Beamer reminds me a great deal of Mark Richt. Good man who’s not equipped to deal with douchebags at the present and hence comes off amateurish when presented with one. I see him as a good manager who’s hopefully learned a valuable lesson in the treacherous world of coaching and will ultimately be successful.

Having said that, Briles looks like he checks the boxes, one of which is a Joe Morrison badass sideline presence.
 

Sleepyhead

Senior
Jul 23, 2023
539
417
63
How do you get rid of Beamer if things are going well, in order to promote Briles?
It’s not typically how things are done but it can be done. Like I said, I think Beamer has the program loaded right now and I like what he’s doing. It’s really early to even be making statements like this but it does seem like Briles has a really high ceiling.
 

atlanta cock#

Heisman
Jun 1, 1998
14,541
35,827
98
I think he’s in a pretty good position to be the next head coach. I like Beamer for the most part aside from some of his theatrics. He’s recruited exceptionally well and has the programs in a really good spot. I just don’t think you can justify letting Briles get away from the staff if things continue to go well.
Lort. One game against a high school. This brings back bad memories when some clowns around here wanted Lorenzo Ward for HC.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Sirgolfalot

Lurker123

All-American
May 4, 2020
7,013
5,766
113
It’s not typically how things are done but it can be done. Like I said, I think Beamer has the program loaded right now and I like what he’s doing. It’s really early to even be making statements like this but it does seem like Briles has a really high ceiling.

Don't disagree. Just struggling with the scenario that would allow it to happen.
 

JoeMorrisonLives

Joined Nov 16, 2020
Nov 20, 2020
6,373
10,259
113
I think he’s in a pretty good position to be the next head coach. I like Beamer for the most part aside from some of his theatrics. He’s recruited exceptionally well and has the programs in a really good spot. I just don’t think you can justify letting Briles get away from the staff if things continue to go well.
Umm, Beamer put together what is on paper the most talent Briles has ever coached, and it's been a game. This is an absurd take.
 
  • Haha
Reactions: Lurker123

JoeMorrisonLives

Joined Nov 16, 2020
Nov 20, 2020
6,373
10,259
113
Who cares about "on paper", how does Madden rate the talent?
You really need to get a life. I was demonstrating something as getting so obvious anyone who's played Madden would know. I've never even owned a single Madden game. That's not where my knowledge or opinions come from. Keep up with the same lame joke 3 years later.

Edit: And when I say on paper, I'm referring to blue-chip ratio. We're just shy of 50%. He's never had that much to work with, even under his dad at Baylor.
 

Lurker123

All-American
May 4, 2020
7,013
5,766
113
You really need to get a life. I was demonstrating something as getting so obvious anyone who's played Madden would know. I've never even owned a single Madden game. That's not where my knowledge or opinions come from. Keep up with the same lame joke 3 years later.

I have no doubt you want people to forget that embarrassing debacle. Part of what makes it even funnier to me.

Did you call your friends to ask them how "intelligent" you sound again too?
 

JoeMorrisonLives

Joined Nov 16, 2020
Nov 20, 2020
6,373
10,259
113
I have no doubt you want people to forget that embarrassing debacle. Part of what makes it even funnier to me.

Did you call your friends to ask them how "intelligent" you sound again too?
None of what you said i said is what i was saying. Stop bullshitting.
 

Lurker123

All-American
May 4, 2020
7,013
5,766
113
None of what you said i said is what i was saying. Stop bullshitting.

Lol

You know they keep old posts on record, right?

Have you ever paid madden, or any game where you control the strategy?

And here's where you phoned some friends.

I've been hitting up football minds I know, and they're saying I'm right on all of the theory,

I cant tell you how impressed I am that the friends you called said you were right. That really seals the deal for me.

And you know the kicker? This was from a thread where you were arguing how awesome our OL was. And you even argued it would be top half of fhe SEC in 2025.

Again, no wonder you dont want people remembering this stuff. :)
 

JoeMorrisonLives

Joined Nov 16, 2020
Nov 20, 2020
6,373
10,259
113
And I'll add, Jamey Chadwell has had a continuous downward trend. Heupel has just as many victories vs top 10 teams in more attempts than Beamer. We were competitive in all but 2 games going into the 4th quarter last season, despite Beamer hiring the quest OC in the damn country, so i dtand by what i said. Outside of Vandy finding a great option QB, the spread option hasnt worked atthis level. Vandy just scored 28 points against a bad FCS team, so i stands by it. The spread- option is a gimmick that'll never have great success in the SEC, and the veer and shoot has a hard ceiling, because great man coverage and DL play take away its schematic advantages, and Tennessee will prove it against this year like they do every year.
 
  • Like
Reactions: RAtheOLcoach

Lurker123

All-American
May 4, 2020
7,013
5,766
113
I've never even owned a single Madden game.

Thats odd, you are the one who brought Madden up, and even admitted playing it.

You're strawmanning again. I haven't played a football videogame in a couple of years,

I suppose this is where you play games with the semantics. You brought up Madden, but only admitted to playing "football videogames", and didn’t say you owned them, just played them.

Kind of covers all the bases, right? Like predicting anywhere from 6 to 9 wins and then claiming you were clairvoyant if the total hit any one of those targets?
 

Lurker123

All-American
May 4, 2020
7,013
5,766
113
And I'll add, Jamey Chadwell has had a continuous downward trend. Heupel has just as many victories vs top 10 teams in more attempts than Beamer. We were competitive in all but 2 games going into the 4th quarter last season, despite Beamer hiring the quest OC in the damn country, so i dtand by what i said. Outside of Vandy finding a great option QB, the spread option hasnt worked atthis level. Vandy just scored 28 points against a bad FCS team, so i stands by it. The spread- option is a gimmick that'll never have great success in the SEC, and the veer and shoot has a hard ceiling, because great man coverage and DL play take away its schematic advantages, and Tennessee will prove it against this year like they do every year.

Gotcha, so the option wont work, except for when it did. And UT isn't any better than us, except for their actual results. But hey, Chadwell is struggling.

Its not like youre deviating from your norm of throwing a bunch of spaghetti on a wall and hoping something sticks.
 
Last edited:

JoeMorrisonLives

Joined Nov 16, 2020
Nov 20, 2020
6,373
10,259
113
You're not seriously saying that Spurrier made a great choice and selecting Ward, are you?
How is that what you got it if my comment? I'm not talking about Ward. But Ward is definitely not the only thing that caused the decline. Our recruiting evals went to crap. Connelly didn't get the results Fitz got. Deke Adams was an awful DL coach. Culture fell apart. Does anyone else remember the guys walking out of the tunnel vs TAMU? Dead give away it was gonna be bad in 2014. I think a gar as coaches on that team, the only ones with as much or more prestigious jobs as they had 2014 were Grady Brown, Spurrier Jr (as receiver coach, not RC or Co-OC), and Elliott. Most of those coaches didn't deserve the job, let alone Ward.

Beamer is the only HC to get back to back top 10 wins. His blue water approach of trying to find a pro-OC that isn't very sought after in college failed miserably, but every other aspect of the job, he's done very well at. Improving the roster again, and not having much turnover outside of OL, many of which we didn't fight for, shows he's built a culture people want to be a part of. His teams have each improved as the season has gone on. He nailed S&C and DC coaches, both being very controversial at the time, no one wanted White, but he's led a defense that has been top 2 in turnovers in the SEC, all but I've year when we were 3rd. I'm pretty sure we were also top 25 in snap by snap efficiency for most of lady season on defense, but we started dropping off because the 120th O left then it there too much.

Hell, if anything, Clayton White has done more to be indispensable to this point that KB, who people really want as HC based in what his dad did at Baylor, while calling Beamer a nepo-hire.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: kidrobinski
Feb 11, 2006
267
398
63
He was not loafing around like Mike Shula on the sideline looking like he just wants to hang out with Beamer, he seems to be actually paying attention to the game and working.

I will give him that, so its a good start, but lets keep it up against stiffer competition,
 
Last edited:

PrestonyteParrot

All-Conference
May 28, 2024
3,240
3,209
113
The offense, and Sellers in particular, seem less confused about the plan on offense and thus execution seemed much crisper. Organization is a major improvement!
 
  • Like
Reactions: 3USC1801

JoeMorrisonLives

Joined Nov 16, 2020
Nov 20, 2020
6,373
10,259
113
He not loafing around like Mike Shula on the sideline looking like he just wants to hang out with Beamer, he seems to be actually paying attention to the game and working.

I will give him that, so its a good start, but lets keep it up against stiffer competition,
I know it's Kent State, but i loved everything i saw. He adjusted quickly to what the defense was calling, mixed in tempo well, everyone played fast, you could see the confidence Sellers has in how quickly he made his choices. I'm sure it also helps everyone play fast when they don't need to remember an encyclopedia worth of plays. Randy Clements is also probably just as big an addition, the OL did a great job exchanging against stunts, everyone kept good form, communicated and picked up the blitzes, looked aggressive.

Also worth mentioning, just being in the top 100 offenses and keeping Sellers confident and not turning the ball over, we would've bowled last year. It's ridiculous how much we could've done with an offense that was only terrible.
 

JoeMorrisonLives

Joined Nov 16, 2020
Nov 20, 2020
6,373
10,259
113
The offense, and Sellers in particular, seem less confused about the plan on offense and thus execution seemed much crisper. Organization is a major improvement!
Absolutely agree. You can see everyone playing with speed. Even if we just don't match up in some games on offense, it should still be better week to week.
 

Lurker123

All-American
May 4, 2020
7,013
5,766
113
It's interesting to me how fast some people got quiet when their quotes were brought out. Well, not "quiet" altogether, just unable to answer certain posts. :)
 

Sirgolfalot

Sophomore
Dec 12, 2025
185
185
43
Pretty damn easy. Beams is no prize.
So who is your prize? Think of it this way. You get rid of your loyal wife because she doesnt dress well enough,. Trade her in for a sexy dresses manicured husy who will trade you in in a minute. Beamer hasnt had the money. 4-8 was atrocious however not typical, Without the money we are a 7-5 8-4 team
 

JoeMorrisonLives

Joined Nov 16, 2020
Nov 20, 2020
6,373
10,259
113
We'll probably see it before you ever admit to your own words. :)
I don't even remember my own words. The only thing I remember is using Madden as an example of how basic some bit of football knowledge you failed to understand is. Give me the quote, exactly, if you want to relitigate it. But you wanted Chadwell, and he sucks. He went 4-8, and was less competitive than us at a lower level at a school that usually has enough results to be a resume builder for coaches.

Edit: Or better yet, you can grow up, act your boomer *** age and get off my jock over the way you choose to twist one thing i said 2 or 3 years ago. In such in Arky right now and want to be able to discuss my team without sine malcontented redneck making lazy boomer jokes off of twisting my words. At this point it's harassment. Seriously get a life.
 

JoeMorrisonLives

Joined Nov 16, 2020
Nov 20, 2020
6,373
10,259
113
So who is your prize? Think of it this way. You get rid of your loyal wife because she doesnt dress well enough,. Trade her in for a sexy dresses manicured husy who will trade you in in a minute. Beamer hasnt had the money. 4-8 was atrocious however not typical, Without the money we are a 7-5 8-4 team
We had the money. '23 we had no OL. Last season, Beamer gets no pass. Shula was an awful hire. But that's not enough to part ways.
 

Lurker123

All-American
May 4, 2020
7,013
5,766
113
I don't even remember my own words. The only thing I remember is using Madden as an example of how basic some bit of football knowledge you failed to understand is. Give me the quote, exactly, if you want to relitigate it. But you wanted Chadwell, and he sucks. He went 4-8, and was less competitive than us at a lower level at a school that usually has enough results to be a resume builder for coaches.

Edit: Or better yet, you can grow up, act your boomer *** age and get off my jock over the way you choose to twist one thing i said 2 or 3 years ago. In such in Arky right now and want to be able to discuss my team without sine malcontented redneck making lazy boomer jokes off of twisting my words. At this point it's harassment. Seriously get a life.

I have no doubt you dont remember your own words. You strike me as someone who has "diarrhea of the mouth" as the old saying goes. I posted them for you just a few posts ago, and you conveniently ignored them.

Funny how Chadwell sucks at 4-8. Remind me again what our record was last year? And has Chadwell had 2 losing seasons in the last 3 years? Somehow I think those numbers would be important to you if you chose to argue the other side.

And harassment? Lmao. Are you 12? Maybe the pay side is better for you and your delicate feelings. But thanks for that laugh. That was great.
 

JoeMorrisonLives

Joined Nov 16, 2020
Nov 20, 2020
6,373
10,259
113
Thats odd, you are the one who brought Madden up, and even admitted playing it.



I suppose this is where you play games with the semantics. You brought up Madden, but only admitted to playing "football videogames", and didn’t say you owned them, just played them.

Kind of covers all the bases, right? Like predicting anywhere from 6 to 9 wins and then claiming you were clairvoyant if the total hit any one of those targets?
I missed this because i only took you off ignore when i realized you were blowing up my thread again. You said we'd have a losing season, you were wrong.

I didn't claim i was an authority because of video games, i was saying y you're so wrong anyone who's even played a game would know.

I said or ceiling was 9 games that year, but I only guaranteed 6-winw because i didn't know what the other teams would look like. You said we'd have a losing season. You were outright wrong.

Now again, stake a claim, who did you prefer that's done better? I'm not gonna defend Beamer hiring Shula, but we still were competitive in every game. Liberty was competitive in their losses, but each season he's been there has been worse than the one before, and Liberty is easier to build to compete for CUSA than SC is to build to compete in the SEC. No one was arguing b bringing in Cignetti, that is the only guy I'd bet on bringing hardware here with hindsight. Everyone argued for Chadwell, who has fallen behind each season in an easier conference, and Napier, who has 3 out of 4 losing seasons.

Heupel has more money to work with, has consistently had a better roster, and doesn't win the big game at all, which is what i always claimed for the Veer and Shoot, that it doesn't have an impact against the top defenses in the big games.
 

Lurker123

All-American
May 4, 2020
7,013
5,766
113
I missed this because i only took you off ignore when i realized you were blowing up my thread again. You said we'd have a losing season, you were wrong.

I said or ceiling was 9 games that year, but I only guaranteed 6-winw because i didn't know what the other teams would look like. You said we'd have a losing season. You were outright wrong.

Ignore is probably your best bet. Running away from your own words is defibitely your style. Anytime I simply point out what you yourself said, like Madden or calling your friends to tell you how smart you are, you break down and start crying about how mean I am.

If you cant handle answering to your own words, you really need to hang out on a more delicate board.

As for your prediction, youre once again forgetting the entire point about it. You picked a spread of games so wide that you were practically guaranteed of being "right". Then tried to come back and beg people to tell you how smart you were for an overly large spread on your prediction.

But now youre going to cry when I remind you of that? Equal parts pathetic and entertaining.

And I noticed you dodged the Chadwell/Beamer question again. Maybe no one will notice if you just ignore whenever its brought up. :)
 

JoeMorrisonLives

Joined Nov 16, 2020
Nov 20, 2020
6,373
10,259
113
Ignore is probably your best bet. Running away from your own words is defibitely your style. Anytime I simply point out what you yourself said, like Madden or calling your friends to tell you how smart you are, you break down and start crying about how mean I am.

If you cant handle answering to your own words, you really need to hang out on a more delicate board.

As for your prediction, youre once again forgetting the entire point about it. You picked a spread of games so wide that you were practically guaranteed of being "right". Then tried to come back and beg people to tell you how smart you were for an overly large spread on your prediction.

But now youre going to cry when I remind you of that? Equal parts pathetic and entertaining.

And I noticed you dodged the Chadwell/Beamer question again. Maybe no one will notice if you just ignore whenever its brought up. :)
I didn't ignore it. Read literally the next post.
 

JoeMorrisonLives

Joined Nov 16, 2020
Nov 20, 2020
6,373
10,259
113
Ignore is probably your best bet. Running away from your own words is defibitely your style. Anytime I simply point out what you yourself said, like Madden or calling your friends to tell you how smart you are, you break down and start crying about how mean I am.

If you cant handle answering to your own words, you really need to hang out on a more delicate board.

As for your prediction, youre once again forgetting the entire point about it. You picked a spread of games so wide that you were practically guaranteed of being "right". Then tried to come back and beg people to tell you how smart you were for an overly large spread on your prediction.

But now youre going to cry when I remind you of that? Equal parts pathetic and entertaining.

And I noticed you dodged the Chadwell/Beamer question again. Maybe no one will notice if you just ignore whenever its brought up. :)
And you said they'd miss a bowl. Would you be happy with a coach that can't win more than 4 in C-USA?
 

Lurker123

All-American
May 4, 2020
7,013
5,766
113
I didn't ignore it. Read literally the next post.

Yes, you ignored it. Ill repeat it for you.


Funny how Chadwell sucks at 4-8. Remind me again what our record was last year? And has Chadwell had 2 losing seasons in the last 3 years? Somehow I think those numbers would be important to you if you chose to argue the other side.

There are two sentences in there with question marks at the end. That means they are questions. And those are the ones you never answered.
 
Last edited:

atlanta cock#

Heisman
Jun 1, 1998
14,541
35,827
98
So who is your prize? Think of it this way. You get rid of your loyal wife because she doesnt dress well enough,. Trade her in for a sexy dresses manicured husy who will trade you in in a minute. Beamer hasnt had the money. 4-8 was atrocious however not typical, Without the money we are a 7-5 8-4 team
I don't think you understand the comment I was responding to. Beams is Dabo. Not a great coach and certainly no tactician. Good recruiter. Probably as good as anyone at SC could be, but others have recruited equally well.

Upsets do happen, but Shane is not beating a good coach with similar talent in a meaningful game where the other team takes us seriously.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Lurker123
GamecockCentral

Latest

  1. 01 GamecockCentral Football 10 takeaways from South Carolina's loss to Kentucky
  2. 02 GamecockCentral Football Sunday update on Shane Beamer, South Carolina football
  3. 03 GamecockCentral Football PFF Grades: South Carolina's Week 5 loss to Kentucky
  4. 04 GamecockCentral Football Sunday injury update on South Carolina DB Quay'Sheed Scott
  5. 05 GamecockCentral Football Everything Shane Beamer said during Sunday teleconference following Kentucky loss