Summer Doldrums Thread: What's the Pack Reading?

RocketDawg

All-Conference
Oct 21, 2011
19,993
2,774
113
Just finished John Sandford's novel Extreme Prey.

I have several other books, both fiction and non-fiction, in my "to read" queue.
 

Dawgbite

Heisman
Nov 1, 2011
9,872
11,270
113
Lonesome Dove is probably the most accurate representation of a book by a movie that I have ever saw, very true to the book. The four book series is probably close to 2500 pages and I have read it in about a months time.
 

was21

Senior
May 29, 2007
10,002
635
113
Series of Harry Bosch novels. Everybody is an ******* except Harry
 

OrrDawg

Redshirt
Mar 3, 2008
487
1
18
The Bridge at Andau (Michener), Killing the Rising Sun (O'Reilly), Three Days in January: Dwight Eisenhower's Final Mission (Baier)
 

PineGroveBully

Redshirt
Nov 13, 2007
8,508
2
0
Must be one helluva book then.

For anyone that's ever attempted to write Augustus is one of those characters you'd give anything to have created.
 

garndawg

Redshirt
Jan 8, 2008
202
0
11
For those that like a little history story told really well

Six Frigates: The Epic History of the Founding of the U.S. Navy by Ian W. Toll

Just a neat story involving most of the figures of that era. If you've read the recent John Adams bio, you'd love this one.

The part about search for Live Oaks to build them is great!
 

Xenomorph

Heisman
Feb 15, 2007
16,114
10,631
113
I read Spandau Phoenix and Black Cross several years ago. Loved them so I picked up Mortal Fear... It went into some weird territory.. Tried his next (forget the name) and put it down. Is the MS trilogy good?
 

Xenomorph

Heisman
Feb 15, 2007
16,114
10,631
113
Anyone who's never read James Clavell's SHOGUN should do so immediately if not sooner. In fact his entire Asian saga is great. Especially Tai Pan and Noble House.

I just read Skunk Works again. Man I hope our government is still investing in private defense contractors like those guys...
 

lanceharbor7

Freshman
Feb 24, 2008
923
64
28
Yes. Mississippi Blood opened at #1 on the NYTimes Best Seller list.

I read Spandau Phoenix and Black Cross several years ago. Loved them so I picked up Mortal Fear... It went into some weird territory.. Tried his next (forget the name) and put it down. Is the MS trilogy good?

Hopefully there will be a TV/Movie series made based on the trilogy as well.
 

msudawg12

Senior
Dec 9, 2008
3,965
714
113
I read Spandau Phoenix and Black Cross several years ago. Loved them so I picked up Mortal Fear... It went into some weird territory.. Tried his next (forget the name) and put it down. Is the MS trilogy good?


Its fantastic. The first 3 books arent necessary and the final trilogy stands on its own but I read Natchez Burning and the Bone Tree, then went back and read the first three and a half while waiting on Mississippi Blood. All are good in their own right but the final trilogy is fantastic
 

Xenomorph

Heisman
Feb 15, 2007
16,114
10,631
113
Are y'all serious? I just read the Amazon synopsis. ....More tripe about the KKK, the 60's and (likely) how none of us have air conditioning. Glad y'all found something you like, but I'm out.
 

msudawg12

Senior
Dec 9, 2008
3,965
714
113
Are y'all serious? I just read the Amazon synopsis. ....More tripe about the KKK, the 60's and (likely) how none of us have air conditioning. Glad y'all found something you like, but I'm out.

Thats a **** synopsis if that is what you took from it.
 

JungRebel

Redshirt
Aug 23, 2012
2,606
0
0
Unfortunately, power of habit is the closest thing to a behaviorism revival on the shelves I've seen right now. Not a bad book, though it drifts in and out of self-help (especially the follow up).
 

lanceharbor7

Freshman
Feb 24, 2008
923
64
28
Are y'all serious? I just read the Amazon synopsis. ....More tripe about the KKK, the 60's and (likely) how none of us have air conditioning. Glad y'all found something you like, but I'm out.

The NCAA laughs at your ****** due diligence.
 

HeCannotGo

Junior
Feb 23, 2011
313
375
63
Jesus the King by Timothy Keller.

Originally published under the title of King's Cross. Outstanding read and very insightful. Keller takes you through the Gospel of Mark.

The overall theme is that we often see Jesus depicted as a helpless baby in the manger or hanging lifeless on the cross. These images are not inaccurate, but they are incomplete. Keller brings out the Gospel assertions that Jesus is much more than this: He is the Creator and Lord of the universe. Very powerful stuff.
 

QuadrupleOption

All-Conference
Aug 21, 2012
1,283
1,404
93
I'm reading the Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson. It's supposed to be a must-read for all fantasy fans, and I've never read it. It's like Game Of Thrones on steroids.
This was one of my favorites as well, but I do think it went off the rails in the last three books or so. He always challenges you to try and understand what exactly is going on, and it took me a few re-reads to pick up on things that were happening in some instances. Unfortunately as the series progresses, he gets away from the characters of the first few books and doesn't really wrap up storylines for a lot of them.
 

RevDawg

Redshirt
May 17, 2013
24
0
0
I've been reading "The Fire This Time" which was edited by Jackson's own Jesmyn Ward. She teaches at Tulane now, but is an awesome person. It is a series of poems and essays by black intellectuals and their experience as people of color in America. It really is an incredible book!

I also love the Harry Hole by Nesbo and the Dublin Murder Mysteries by Tana French.

Hillbilly Elegy was okay. Dispatches from Pluto was incredible.
 

Maroon Eagle

All-American
May 24, 2006
18,575
8,548
102
Just finished reading the first two volumes of Shigeru Mizuki's four-volume Showa: A History of Japan series. Interesting to see the buildup to World War II and the first part of the war from 1. The perspective of a Japanese & 2. Seeing it in Manga format. My father served in the Pacific Theater in WWII so I've been perhaps a bit more interested in this in comparison to the European Theater.

I'll go through volumes 3 & 4 after Independence Day.
 
Aug 22, 2012
324
0
0
Sanford's "Prey" series is the best out there. Great characters with intriguing and funny story lines. I would be jealous of any one who hasn't read them who could start with Rules of Prey and read them all.
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State Week 5 Preview: Who Controls the Skies?
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football "Complementary team football is what they're doing really well": Alabama HC Kalen DeBoer on Mississippi State matchup
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football SEC Nation returns to Starkville, beginning with Friday Finebaum show
  4. 04 Rivals Basketball Recruiting OTE Pro Day Recruiting Intel: Latest buzz on Beckham Black, Paul Osaruyi and more
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State Week 5 Preview: Alabama Players to Know