SEC-only stats

May 28, 2020
1,387
0
0
Playeravgabh2b3bhrtbslg%bbhbpsoob%sfops
Allen, Tanner0.3738331535570.68768110.45521.141
Jordan, Rowdey0.3298227413420.512118100.45500.968
James, Kamren0.2827822304370.474141200.38920.864
Tanner, Logan0.2417919605400.506110190.33300.840
Hancock, Luke0.2507218102250.34710480.35640.703
Skinner, Brayland0.1855410201150.27873150.31300.590
Dubrule, Scotty0.2336014200160.26761100.31300.580
Forsythe, Lane0.2117115200170.23961270.27520.514
Hatcher, Josh0.1476810301160.23510170.15900.395
Cumbest, Brad0.360259101130.5203060.41410.934
Leggett, Tanner0.19226510060.2312390.32300.553
Clark, Kellum0.0001000000.0000110.50000.500
Meche, Davis0.0001000000.0000000.00000.000
McDonald, Kyte0.0002000000.0000010.00000.000
Pimentel, Brandon0.0002000000.0000010.00000.000
Totals0.256704180304222840.40377301550.349110.753
Opponents0.233712166253262750.3868982540.32360.709

<tbody>
</tbody>

Playereraipherbbso2b3bhrabb/avghbpsfa
Bednar, Will3.7536.0311512535161330.23331
MacLeod, Christian4.1934.1311612454071320.23511
Fristoe, Jackson7.3024.2282021394241000.28000
Sims, Landon0.4918.171630100600.11700
Harding, Houston4.2015.0147517103560.25000
Johnson, Preston6.529.277613001330.21210
Smith, Brandon5.799.1116411202410.26810
Tullar, Cam2.009.072112100330.21202
Simmons, Stone5.009.085412100350.22900
Stinnett, Parker2.706.22259200230.08710
Patrick, Chase2.254.05111001140.35700
Koestler, Carlisle9.004.06424101160.37501
Tepper Mikey12.273.25543200160.31300
Cerantola, Eric7.712.1023200070.00010
Carmouche, Dylan6.751.1311210070.42901
Hunt, KC18.001.0121100140.25000
Price, Spencer0.000.1000000010.00000
Self, Riley0.000.1001000010.00000
Totals4.57189.01669689254253267120.23386
Opponents4.99184.018010277155304227040.2563011

<tbody>
</tbody>
 

MSUDawg25

Redshirt
Jan 21, 2010
2,088
1
38
Man, these stats would not strike fear into the hearts of many opponents if you showed them in a vacuum without a team name attached.
 

57stratdawg

Heisman
Dec 1, 2004
148,684
24,532
113
Yeesh - Fristoe with 21 walks in 24 innings. Add in 28 hits and that’s a WHIP of basically 2.00.
 

NOATLDAWG

Redshirt
Dec 29, 2020
309
0
0
The .147 avg and 68 ABs isn't even the most irritating thing about Hatcher... It is the 17 Ks/1 BB...
 

8dog

All-American
Feb 23, 2008
15,069
7,298
113
Macloud and Bednars BAA, K rate and whip seem like they would produce a better ERA but I guess thats what short stints do to you.

Need the large Skinner fanbase to look hard at these numbers.
 

dawgstudent

Heisman
Apr 15, 2003
40,472
22,009
113
I was hoping Cerantola would get more innings this weekend. I think he can still be useful.
 

Hump4Hoops

Redshirt
May 1, 2010
6,611
13
38
I don't know who's still demanding to see Skinner at this point.

Cumbest is doubling up his BA in conference play.
 

Russ Wheeler

Redshirt
Aug 3, 2020
2,430
0
0
Man, these stats would not strike fear into the hearts of many opponents if you showed them in a vacuum without a team name attached.
Stats are useless without the rest of the SEC to compare. I can't seem to find conference-only stats anywhere, so just going by overall, we're average in hitting and above average in pitching. That can win a national championship.
 

Xenomorph

Heisman
Feb 15, 2007
16,104
10,616
113
Cumbest in the 7 hole changes the entire complexion of the bottom of our order. You might strike him out.. but if you 17 up he's going shopping at the gap.
 

8dog

All-American
Feb 23, 2008
15,069
7,298
113
Im not sure that would help us if he could. If you leave James at DH that just puts Skinner in for Hancock which - as bad as Hancock has been- makes us worse.
 

dog12

Senior
Sep 15, 2016
1,950
592
113
Are we sure he can't play 1B?

Have we considered moving Kamren James to first base?

He is tall and makes a good target to throw to.

Also, I'd rather have Luke Hancock playing DH, so he can come into the game and play catcher if necessary.
 
Feb 23, 2008
1,708
0
0
Same here. It's going to suck 1 day watching him start in the majors for someone. He's got the stuff to do it. I think he just needs a pro sports psychologist that can spend more time with him than college coaches can.
 

Russ Wheeler

Redshirt
Aug 3, 2020
2,430
0
0
Cumbest in the 7 hole changes the entire complexion of the bottom of our order. You might strike him out.. but if you 17 up he's going shopping at the gap.
Agree. This is going to make us instantly better. The rest, I don't really care. I don't think you'll see a huge difference however you mix it up. I guess Hancock needs to play, maybe he can play 1B or 3B, who cares. I don't care if Leggett is SS or Forsythe, though I would like to settle the middle infield. Hatcher/James at 1B, who cares. Cumbest being a regular starter is bigger than any of it and has been the obvious move for a few weeks now.

Skinner's time will come next year. Same with Kyte McDonald, McGowan, Forsythe, etc.
 

Dawgg

Heisman
Sep 9, 2012
10,535
10,793
113
Man, these stats would not strike fear into the hearts of many opponents if you showed them in a vacuum without a team name attached.

Yancy made a similar statement on Twitter last week, showing Ole Miss's statistical advantage over State in various offensive categories. He was systematically dunked on by State Twitter.
 

wsjmsu75

Junior
Sep 29, 2017
2,421
210
63
Im not sure that would help us if he could. If you leave James at DH that just puts Skinner in for Hancock which - as bad as Hancock has been- makes us worse.

News to me. Seems to me like he has been one of our better hitters. Has a good eye and draws a good many walks too.
 

wsjmsu75

Junior
Sep 29, 2017
2,421
210
63
Same here. It's going to suck 1 day watching him start in the majors for someone. He's got the stuff to do it. I think he just needs a pro sports psychologist that can spend more time with him than college coaches can.

If that is what he needs, then why haven't we used one? Is that ever done in college baseball?
 

8dog

All-American
Feb 23, 2008
15,069
7,298
113
He went 3-22 against OM and Vandy and at least 2 of those hits were weak groundballs that found a gap in the shift. He bounced back with a nice weekend against a really bad opponent but still didnt just barrel it up every hit. He has not been able to hit it hard opposite field at all lately. Like I said, much better than putting Skinner up there.
 
Feb 23, 2008
1,708
0
0
Good question. Not sure of the resources available in college but probably

something that could be done in the offseason. I'd imagine it's just harder to shuffle time between school and regular baseball activities than it is for the pros. Then again, we're talking about a sport that's only allowed 11.7 scholarships. I'm sure any additional resources would take an act of congress.
 
Last edited:

thekimmer

All-Conference
Aug 30, 2012
8,822
2,951
113
Stats are useless without the rest of the SEC to compare. I can't seem to find conference-only stats anywhere, so just going by overall, we're average in hitting and above average in pitching. That can win a national championship.

Looking at the SEC only stats for everybody we are 10th in batting average and 4th in ERA. The hitting numbers are concerning but the thing that gives me hope is we have the least Ks in the league which tells me we are at least able to put the ball in play which means we could start finding some outfield grass with some of those eventually. It also helps explain our success because if you have good pitching and you are able to at least put the ball in play you can manufacture enough run production to win games.
 

thekimmer

All-Conference
Aug 30, 2012
8,822
2,951
113
Are we sure he can't play 1B?

I'm sure he can but then he is right handed and lefty's have an advantage at 1st. That is definitely not a show stopper but we already have a lefty at 1st with Hancock who is going to be in the line up anyway. So it might make sense next year. But then we will probably have to find a spot for Kellum Clark.
 

missouridawg

Junior
Oct 6, 2009
9,406
308
83
Same here. It's going to suck 1 day watching him start in the majors for someone. He's got the stuff to do it. I think he just needs a pro sports psychologist that can spend more time with him than college coaches can.

About once a month, I tell someone new that Brandon Woodruff through about 10 quality innings for us in 3 years. And I cry a little inside each time.
 

jblailock

Redshirt
Feb 26, 2013
76
2
8
Hancock hits lefy, but he throws righty.

I'm sure he can but then he is right handed and lefty's have an advantage at 1st. That is definitely not a show stopper but we already have a lefty at 1st with Hancock who is going to be in the line up anyway. So it might make sense next year. But then we will probably have to find a spot for Kellum Clark.
 

johnson86-1

All-American
Aug 22, 2012
15,155
5,705
113
something that could be done in the offseason. I'd imagine it's just harder to shuffle time between school and regular baseball activities than it is for the pros. Then again, we're talking about a sport that's only allowed 11.7 scholarships. I'm sure any additional resources would take an act of congress.

It's actually the opposite. Since there aren't limitations on non-scholarship spending, fewer scholarships means more money for everything else, all else being equal.

I don't think it's a resources issue as much as it is a time issue. He's going to go to the minors and he'll be able to focus solely on pitching, but probably much more importantly, developing him will be more important than winning, so he is going to get some innings and presumably get the chance to work through some bad outings. Just knowing they won't have a quick hook may be all he needs to get him to relax and just pitch, and then maybe get enough game reps that he conquers whatever mental issues he has.
 

Russ Wheeler

Redshirt
Aug 3, 2020
2,430
0
0
Looking at the SEC only stats for everybody we are 10th in batting average and 4th in ERA. The hitting numbers are concerning but the thing that gives me hope is we have the least Ks in the league which tells me we are at least able to put the ball in play which means we could start finding some outfield grass with some of those eventually. It also helps explain our success because if you have good pitching and you are able to at least put the ball in play you can manufacture enough run production to win games.
I have no stat to back this up but it FEELS like we have a huge amount of balls that are blasted but the outfielders pick them off with great plays.
 
May 28, 2020
1,387
0
0
Looking at the SEC only stats for everybody we are 10th in batting average and 4th in ERA. The hitting numbers are concerning but the thing that gives me hope is we have the least Ks in the league which tells me we are at least able to put the ball in play which means we could start finding some outfield grass with some of those eventually. It also helps explain our success because if you have good pitching and you are able to at least put the ball in play you can manufacture enough run production to win games.

I'm not concerned about SEC-only batting average SEC rank. We are 10th with a team SEC-only batting average 0.005 below the league average. So we are roughly an "average SEC hitting team". That plus being an "above-average SEC pitching team" will go along way against teams that haven't played an SEC schedule.

Another example: Arkansas is arguably the best offensive team in the SEC. They rank 8th in SEC-only batting average, 0.004 below Tennessee, ranked 5th.
 

wsjmsu75

Junior
Sep 29, 2017
2,421
210
63
About once a month, I tell someone new that Brandon Woodruff through about 10 quality innings for us in 3 years. And I cry a little inside each time.

That did suck for us. I think usually when this happens, it's just a matter of these pitchers having matured more by the time they leave college, plus as others have said they can devote full time to development of their skills once they go pro. I'm sure there are a lot of college programs that have had similar situations. Oh well, it is what it is. That does not aggravate me as much as losing big time signees to the draft.
 

wsjmsu75

Junior
Sep 29, 2017
2,421
210
63
It seems as though I heard something a while back about LSU using sports psychologists in their baseball program. Could be just my imagination.
 

Seinfeld

All-American
Nov 30, 2006
11,611
7,827
113
A&M outfielders had at least 3 web gems that I saw live this past weekend, and I missed watching half the series.
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Rivals Football Recruiting Wiltfong Whiparound: Mega prediction for Kentucky; Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi State all made big recruiting moves in week four
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football Sunday Notebook: No. 24 Mississippi State 31-24 No. 19 Mizzou
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State's defense bends without breaking again
  4. 04 Maroon and White Mississippi State PFF Grades from 31-24 win over Mizzou
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State's Week 5 date with No. 8 Alabama set for early window