Schiano's Response When Asked About Rivalry With PSU

RU848789

Heisman
Jul 27, 2001
65,439
44,456
113
I'll add that, while I'm waiting for the season to conclude before engaging in any crow consumption, what I've seen so far from Schiano since his hiring has gone a long way towards assuaging some of my fears about the hire. He's a changed person, a changed coach, since he was last here. And, so far, changed in what appear to be some good ways.

For sure I have more hope than I have had about the program in a long time.
You could have just listened to what I said last year, lol...
 

RUinPAC10land

All-Conference
Jul 30, 2011
4,408
2,159
0
And, as Schiano points out, beating them once or twice will not convey rivalry status upon us. Rivalries are born of regularly competitive, close, hard-fought contests. We have regional closeness, so a future rivalry is possible in that sense. But we have to raise the level of the program, particularly in terms of consistency, before a true rivalry can emerge.

I like what he said (and I'm paraphrasing here) about how people can't just declare a rivalry. They have to evolve from what happens on the field.

Then, how is Michigan still rivals with OSU?
 

Plum Street

Heisman
Jun 21, 2009
27,306
23,010
0
Eh. To me a rivalry transends the on-field action between the lines. Like UConn, we beat them handily for most of the last few years we played them. But I still despise their fans, the school and all their sports teams. The same can be said for Rutgers alumni and Penn State alumni. It is a natural rivalry. They MAY like to say out loud that we are not their rivals, but trust me .... PSU fans hate Rutgers with a burning passion. It's not an equivalent football rivalry (kind of like Rutgers over Temple), but there is no love lost between the fan bases.

Anyone from PSU that tries to say they view Rutgers the same as Illinois, Purdue or "just any other" Big Ten school is totally lying, period. Just because our team hasn't won lately doesn't mean they don't hate us. And we hate them
Yes , but we still need to win once in a while .
 

RUforlife

All-Conference
Oct 27, 2002
3,444
4,218
0
Yes , but we still need to win once in a while .
Exactly, without winning there is no rivalry, Schiano is spot on. Not only that, but exactly how many 4 and 5 star kids have chosen Rutgers over Penn State in the last 25 years. Maybe a half a dozen, but not enough to impact their program. Start winning games and impact their recruiting, then you become a real rival to the people within the programs, not just a wannabe fan board rival.
 

Plum Street

Heisman
Jun 21, 2009
27,306
23,010
0
Exactly, without winning there is no rivalry, Schiano is spot on. Not only that, but exactly how many 4 and 5 star kids have chosen Rutgers over Penn State in the last 25 years. Maybe a half a dozen, but not enough to impact their program. Start winning games and impact their recruiting, then you become a real rival to the people within the programs, not just a wannabe fan board rival.
You gotta win the games to impact recruiting or you gotta win the recruiting to impact the games ?
 

srru86

All-Conference
Jul 25, 2001
17,883
4,204
113
Greg is right.

For what, 100 years, we thought Princeton was our rival. But in fact nobody in Nassau Hall every thought that. They were looking at Penn, Yale and Harvard. We start beating them badly and regularly - and they're out.

Until we routinely beat PSU and the bulk of football talent from Harrisburg to Philly scorns Happy Valley for The Banks they will insist their rivals are Michigan and Ohio State. Even if no one in Ann Arbor or Columbus believes them.
 
  • Like
Reactions: RUB1GTime

RUB1GTime

Junior
Oct 26, 2020
272
377
0
Sorry but there are plenty rivalries across the nation that were lopsided for 20-70 years, that were never competitive to begin with, simply based on borders and whatnot. Can’t agree with Greg on this one or anyone else. A lot of “coach speak” right there, during game week, which makes sense.
Between this and the Coastal Carolina thread, you've made some truly silly assertions over the past 48 hours. Greg Schiano has coached and recruited this area for more than a decade and if he doesn't see a rivalry yet, there simply isn't one. Win on Saturday and that starts to change. That's not "coach speak," it's reality.
 

mikershoein

All-American
Dec 4, 2006
9,946
8,108
58
I very much appreciated Schiano's response, in his game week presser, when he was asked about rivalries with PSU or MD. I have a feeling some of you aren't going to like it much, if at all. But to me, it's an honest and realistic assessment. And it sets out the task ahead for all to understand.

Here's the video, queued up to where he answers...


love the response... a win and Rutgers can start to build a rivalry, until then we are still the same "joke" to PSU. I don't say that lightly, but their fans made a better showing than ours did to our home games in the last few years
 
  • Like
Reactions: RUB1GTime

RUforlife

All-Conference
Oct 27, 2002
3,444
4,218
0
You gotta win the games to impact recruiting or you gotta win the recruiting to impact the games ?
You gotta coach up lesser talent and win games and then start winning the recruiting battles for the next level talent. That is why Schiano and his staff are so invaluable, they have the ability to find and develop kids that may not be on the radar of the PSU, OSU level programs and develop them into great college players.
 

Media Fan

Redshirt
Jul 2, 2001
60
27
0
Greg nailed it. As much as we despise them, we are a complete afterthought to them and their games against UM and OSU.
Why would you despise us? I got the horror show of a decade ago, and maybe you get something out of bringing that up again and again. What’s the point of despising us?
 

RW90

All-American
Feb 2, 2002
8,390
7,659
113
Why would you despise us? I got the horror show of a decade ago, and maybe you get something out of bringing that up again and again. What’s the point of despising us?
Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?
 
  • Like
Reactions: ScarletDave

AreYouNUTS

Heisman
Aug 1, 2001
125,346
59,949
113
Between this and the Coastal Carolina thread, you've made some truly silly assertions over the past 48 hours. Greg Schiano has coached and recruited this area for more than a decade and if he doesn't see a rivalry yet, there simply isn't one. Win on Saturday and that starts to change. That's not "coach speak," it's reality.

lol What is this your 25th different moniker?
 
  • Haha
Reactions: RUB1GTime

koleszar

Heisman
Jan 1, 2010
37,961
59,980
113
Such an ugly word- hate.
One of the things that I derive enjoyment from is Rutgers sports. Anything that interrupts that enjoyment for me I "HATE".

Put it like this, when you go on vacation and a hurricane hits, you "Hate" that named hurricane. I went to Happy Valley, but fvcking hurricane "Allen" hit, man did that vacation suck. Now if "Allen" didn't hit I'm sure Happy Valley sucks anyway but what you truly hate is hurricane "Allen". See it's what caused the vacation to suck that you really hate.
 
  • Like
Reactions: goru1869

DJ Spanky

Heisman
Jul 25, 2001
50,727
62,720
113
One of the things that I derive enjoyment from is Rutgers sports. Anything that interrupts that enjoyment for me I "HATE".

Put it like this, when you go on vacation and a hurricane hits, you "Hate" that named hurricane. I went to Happy Valley, but fvcking hurricane "Allen" hit, man did that vacation suck. Now if "Allen" didn't hit I'm sure Happy Valley sucks anyway but what you truly hate is hurricane "Allen". See it's what caused the vacation to suck that you really hate.
So the takeaway from this is: "State Penn SUCKS!"
 
  • Like
Reactions: goru1869

scarletbergen

Senior
Aug 17, 2006
2,278
746
66
Why would you despise us? I got the horror show of a decade ago, and maybe you get something out of bringing that up again and again. What’s the point of despising us?

Are you kidding? The Creep State culture is despicable! Any everybody knows it!

I just want Creep State to go away and stay away.
 
The Knight Report

Latest

  1. 01 The Knight Report Football College Football 27 Sim - Rutgers Football versus Indiana Hoosiers
  2. 02 On3 Football Senate passes Protect College Sports Act, sends bill to House
  3. 03 The Knight Report Football Everything Curt Cignetti said ahead of the Indiana / Rutgers game
  4. 04 The Knight Report Early Recruit Visitor list for Rutgers Football versus Indiana
  5. 05 On3 Football College Football Hot Seat: USA Today identifies coaches facing mounting pressure