RIP Marvin Hagler

Mobile Bay

All-Conference
Jul 26, 2020
4,242
2,184
113
I remember tuning in to his fight with Sugar Ray Leonard on an old transistor radio in my bed, when I was a kid who should have been asleep. Somehow the atmosphere was right for me to find a radio signal from either Chicago or St' Louis. My dad coming in to fuss at me because I should have been asleep, and then laying in the bed next to me to listen to the fight.

It wasn't long after my parents divorced.
 

mcdawg22

Heisman
Sep 18, 2004
13,648
12,148
113
Hagler Hearns and Gatti Ward are the greatest boxing rounds of all time.
 

Bill Shankly

Redshirt
Nov 27, 2020
2,095
0
0
Boxing when I was young in the late 60s, 70s, and early 80s was just different. It was BIG. We ALL knew who the heavyweight champ was, and we all knew the better ones in the lower divisions like Hagler. I can't even name a current boxer now. That I can't name the current heavyweight champ actually shocks me. I hadn't given it a thought in years. What happened? I mean besides Don King what happened? He can't get the entire blame no matter how hard he tried.
 

dog12

Senior
Sep 15, 2016
1,950
592
113
Boxing when I was young in the late 60s, 70s, and early 80s was just different. It was BIG. We ALL knew who the heavyweight champ was, and we all knew the better ones in the lower divisions like Hagler. I can't even name a current boxer now. That I can't name the current heavyweight champ actually shocks me. I hadn't given it a thought in years. What happened? I mean besides Don King what happened? He can't get the entire blame no matter how hard he tried.

MMA.

Boxing is too tame when compared to MMA.

If we ever bring back gladiators fighting to the death, then MMA will soon be done too.
 

SwampDawg

Sophomore
Feb 24, 2008
2,193
122
63
Boxing when I was young in the late 60s, 70s, and early 80s was just different. It was BIG. We ALL knew who the heavyweight champ was, and we all knew the better ones in the lower divisions like Hagler. I can't even name a current boxer now. That I can't name the current heavyweight champ actually shocks me. I hadn't given it a thought in years. What happened? I mean besides Don King what happened? He can't get the entire blame no matter how hard he tried.

I quit watching when it went to Pay Per View. When it was on network TV I would invite friends and neighbors over to watch. Once I had prizes for guessing the number of rounds won by each. First place was a bottle of very cheap wine, second place was two bottles of the same. When they went PPV I said screw 'em.
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State Keys to Victory against Alabama
  2. 02 Maroon and White No. 16 Mississippi State vs. No. 7 Alabama: How, where and when to watch the Bulldogs
  3. 03 Maroon and White Mississippi State Soccer preps for No. 11 South Carolina
  4. 04 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State's Zakari Tillman Out vs. Alabama
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football Will Mississippi State's secondary be the difference on Saturday?