I transferred to State January '82 about the first or second week of the year. No other students on campus yet, just us mid year transfers up for Orientation. Couple of us went to Shakey's Pizza which was on Academy Rd and had some beers. They shut down at midnight or before and a couple guys in there told us about Mac's and we agreed to follow.
We got there (I couldn't believe there was going to be a bar open out there in the middle of nowhere at 1:00 a.m. as we drove there) Mac said "you ain't never been here have you?" I said no sir and he said "well, your first beer here is always free, what'll you have?" I ordered a PBR which turned out to be a 16oz tall one. Mac looked at the guy next to me (I had no idea who he was) and said that'll be $3 (or whatever amount) for his PBR. Guy said I didn't order that. Mac says "well the first beer here is always free and somebody has to pay for it and tonight's your night. How the hell do you expect me to make a living giving out here giving out free beers all the time?" The guy paid for it........ I offered later to pay him back but he said no, we became friends while I was here and still run into each other maybe once a year at ballgames and such. Mac was definitely a classic one of a kind