PSU Recruiting Thread

OhioLion

All-Conference
Oct 12, 2021
1,090
2,308
113
I’m thinking Cael wouldn’t have tolerated Zahid’s lifestyle very well.
Interesting you say that. I visited with a staff member following the Ohowihate match. I asked about some recruits and how 2 big names went west.
He indicated that one of them was not the type person Penn State has on the team. He left it at that.
I mentioned Marcus Blaze and the staff member’s reaction was - there is a great kid. Marcus is a really good person.
 

LB99

Heisman
Oct 27, 2021
10,776
15,669
113
Interesting you say that. I visited with a staff member following the Ohowihate match. I asked about some recruits and how 2 big names went west.
He indicated that one of them was not the type person Penn State has on the team. He left it at that.
I mentioned Marcus Blaze and the staff member’s reaction was - there is a great kid. Marcus is a really good person.
Interesting. There’s another high profile kid at another B1G school that I heard wasn’t a top priority at PSU for the same reasons.
 
  • Like
Reactions: OhioLion

El_Jefe

Heisman
Oct 11, 2021
3,868
15,940
113
Chalk his query up to a lazy Monday afternoon, but amidst all his amazing recruiting success, I wondered who was the best recruit (non-Spencer Lee division) that Cael has really wanted & has not gone to PSU? I ask with the caveat that the recruit also went on to achieve significant success at his chosen school. Thoughts?
Snyder and Gwiazdowski.

TBD if Figueroa and Mendez become multiple champs.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: Gronky

El_Jefe

Heisman
Oct 11, 2021
3,868
15,940
113
Interesting. There’s another high profile kid at another B1G school that I heard wasn’t a top priority at PSU for the same reasons.
Guessing this is one of 2 guys.

Sasso had some off-the-mat issues before his HS JR year and possibly worse, hung out with some guys (like Chlebove) who got into bigger trouble. He did clean that up while in HS, but by then Cael had seen enough and didn't seriously pursue him.

Maybe Steveson? The talent was always obvious, but he didn't treat the sport like a profession until after Cassar beat him twice AND he got into legal trouble.
 

LB99

Heisman
Oct 27, 2021
10,776
15,669
113
Guessing this is one of 2 guys.

Sasso had some off-the-mat issues before his HS JR year and possibly worse, hung out with some guys (like Chlebove) who got into bigger trouble. He did clean that up while in HS, but by then Cael had seen enough and didn't seriously pursue him.

Maybe Steveson? The talent was always obvious, but he didn't treat the sport like a profession until after Cassar beat him twice AND he got into legal trouble.
Neither.
 

El_Jefe

Heisman
Oct 11, 2021
3,868
15,940
113
Edmond Ruth? He had that bad drug arrest in North Carolina while at Lehigh.

Otherwise I'm struggling to figure out who is (1) B10, (2) high profile, (3) might have had a team fit issue for whatever reason.
 

El_Jefe

Heisman
Oct 11, 2021
3,868
15,940
113
What’s the word on Desmond? Will he be ready to go when he arrives at PSU?
Only thing I know is that he sat out the National Preps qualifier, so his folk season is over.

No idea if he plans to do freestyle this offseason.

I'd imagine the plan was always to shirt him unless Lilledahl can't make 125, and we're not hearing of that being an issue so far.
 

LB99

Heisman
Oct 27, 2021
10,776
15,669
113
Edmond Ruth? He had that bad drug arrest in North Carolina while at Lehigh.

Otherwise I'm struggling to figure out who is (1) B10, (2) high profile, (3) might have had a team fit issue for whatever reason.
You are getting closer. He is in Columbus and is redshirting this year.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Georgialion

El_Jefe

Heisman
Oct 11, 2021
3,868
15,940
113
An answer so obvious, I missed it. Recalling Welsh had a list of 10 schools and we weren't on it.

IDK specifically about him, but Waynesboro in general produces guys who don't fit Cael's program.
 

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
86,054
69,333
113

Gronky

All-Conference
Nov 10, 2021
1,229
2,212
113
Saw this quote on Flo (free stuff):

Tom Ryan on 184: “This was a tough situation for us. Rocco committed to a multi-year NIL deal. I’m not sure what happened there, but we’re super excited about Fishback and bringing him back home to Ohio.

I'm just fascinated that PSU would offer Rocco a multi-year NIL deal when there wasn't even a guarantee that he would start-at any point during his PSU tenure. Or, does that multi-year deal mean that they knew Ryder was leaving and/or not up to snuff & needed to win a bidding war to get him over Okie St? Or, is this just PSU's standard practice these days with high-end recruits? Like I said, I just found it interesting...
 

WV lion

All-Conference
Oct 17, 2021
1,453
2,042
113
Saw this quote on Flo (free stuff):

Tom Ryan on 184: “This was a tough situation for us. Rocco committed to a multi-year NIL deal. I’m not sure what happened there, but we’re super excited about Fishback and bringing him back home to Ohio.

I'm just fascinated that PSU would offer Rocco a multi-year NIL deal when there wasn't even a guarantee that he would start-at any point during his PSU tenure. Or, does that multi-year deal mean that they knew Ryder was leaving and/or not up to snuff & needed to win a bidding war to get him over Okie St? Or, is this just PSU's standard practice these days with high-end recruits? Like I said, I just found it interesting...
Pretty sure ryan meant Rocco committed to NIL deal at tOSU, not PSU.
 

Gronky

All-Conference
Nov 10, 2021
1,229
2,212
113
If today was the first day coaches could contact '27 guys, who is PSU targeting? I know that numbers are tight, so it's likely not many guys...
 
  • Like
Reactions: LB99

El_Jefe

Heisman
Oct 11, 2021
3,868
15,940
113
If today was the first day coaches could contact '27 guys, who is PSU targeting? I know that numbers are tight, so it's likely not many guys...
Dice's spreadsheet (pinned thread) catches most of the likely targets. I'd add Jayden James' teammate Cameron Sontz (125) as a possibility. And of course Cael will find someone we didn't consider, as he always does.

This will likely be a light claas for PSU. It's not as good overall as 2025 or 2026, and we loaded up in both of those years, and there's the roster limit.

Miller, Bachmann, and Villasenor will likely go to Iowa, Lehigh, and OKST respectively.

I'm not sure we get Sidun. Fantastic talent but not the long/lean body type Cael targets. He would need to be a 125 but even then he's more of a fire hydrant. And he'll obviously be in high demand. Would love to get him, and trust Cael either way.
 

GregPickel

Hall of Famer
Staff member
Jul 25, 2021
48,993
107,895
113
If today was the first day coaches could contact '27 guys, who is PSU targeting? I know that numbers are tight, so it's likely not many guys...
Jefe has you covered in the post above this one.

I will say that for the second year of in a row, there was no immediate social media buzz of guys posting Penn State had contacted them, etc.
 

El_Jefe

Heisman
Oct 11, 2021
3,868
15,940
113

jtothemfp

Junior
Aug 24, 2010
155
323
63
An answer so obvious, I missed it. Recalling Welsh had a list of 10 schools and we weren't on it.

IDK specifically about him, but Waynesboro in general produces guys who don't fit Cael's program.
Point of order, Your Honor! Rocco is from WaynesBURG.

Waynesboro, glorious hometown of yours truly, produces guys who don't fit Cael's program b/c we're usually not good enough lol. Although we do also like to and tend to claim Levi, who hails from Waynesboro rival Biglerville, for pretty much this same reason.
 

Corby

All-Conference
Mar 3, 2013
1,694
1,880
113
Dice's spreadsheet (pinned thread) catches most of the likely targets. I'd add Jayden James' teammate Cameron Sontz (125) as a possibility. And of course Cael will find someone we didn't consider, as he always does.

This will likely be a light claas for PSU. It's not as good overall as 2025 or 2026, and we loaded up in both of those years, and there's the roster limit.

Miller, Bachmann, and Villasenor will likely go to Iowa, Lehigh, and OKST respectively.

I'm not sure we get Sidun. Fantastic talent but not the long/lean body type Cael targets. He would need to be a 125 but even then he's more of a fire hydrant. And he'll obviously be in high demand. Would love to get him, and trust Cael either way.
I posted about Sontz on the other boards awhile ago that he should be a target for you guys. You know Iowa fans always do that 🤣🤣
 

WexfordWarrior

All-Conference
Jun 3, 2025
506
1,292
93
Innocent people don't defend themselves unprompted.
 
  • Haha
Reactions: Corby
BWI

Latest

  1. 01 BWI Penn State's Chase Sowell Is the Offense's Lone Bright Spot. Here's How to Use Him More
  2. 02 BWI Football Penn State postseason projections: Could Matt Campbell face his old team in a bowl game?
  3. 03 BWI Recruiting Penn State-USC visitor list reaches 80 prospects ahead of pivitol recruiting weekend
  4. 04 BWI Football What time will Penn State-Michigan start on Oct. 17? Here's what we know
  5. 05 BWI Football Rocco Becht has been here before. Now Penn State needs him to lead it out.