PSA - never order checks from your bank...

dawgstudent

Heisman
Apr 15, 2003
40,522
22,252
113
I didn't realize this until a few months ago that you could order checks from WalMart or CostCo. My bank - it was costing $25 for 80 checks. Through Costco - I got 500 checks for $15.
 

patdog

Heisman
May 28, 2007
60,459
31,670
113
Good lord, that's highway robbery. Of course, these days 80 checks would last me 2-3 years.
 

The Peeper

Heisman
Feb 26, 2008
16,698
12,426
113
I used WalMart for years while I was still writing checks. Can't remember the last time I wrote one now though, I just log in and tell the bank to send one now.
 

Shmuley

Heisman
Mar 6, 2008
24,321
12,296
113
God bless you for this valuable public service. Those MFers associated with the bank may summarily go sexually penetrate themselves, along with the horses they rode in on.
 
Last edited:

Mobile Bay

All-Conference
Jul 26, 2020
4,242
2,184
113
Why are you using a bank? Credit Unions are simply a better experience in every way.
 

Ralph Cramden

Redshirt
Jan 7, 2020
2,696
0
0
Yes. I assumed that was well known. I never wrote checks anymore. Probably 5 or 6 years. I have had a couple times that I had to use a check so I do have a few left but it might be one a year. Had to write one of insurance a couple months ago. Luckily he told me in advance.
 

Jeffreauxdawg

All-American
Dec 15, 2017
8,891
8,003
113
Yowza...

Was looking the other day and my check register calendar only went to 2012. I haven't gotten new checks in a decade and have moved 3 times.
 

GloryDawg

Heisman
Mar 3, 2005
20,650
19,401
113
Their biggest profit comes from NSF fees. I write very few checks so 80 would last me several years.
 

patdog

Heisman
May 28, 2007
60,459
31,670
113
He waits till the cashier has rung everything up and given him the total before he even reaches for his checkbook to start writing the check.
 

kired

All-Conference
Aug 22, 2008
7,128
2,537
113
We've always gotten a little M-State logo in the corner of our checks. Last time I re-ordered they sent us a book with Ole Miss in place of the M-State. I assume ESPN must have been involved somehow.

Shredded those bastards.
 

GloryDawg

Heisman
Mar 3, 2005
20,650
19,401
113
He waits till the cashier has rung everything up and given him the total before he even reaches for his checkbook to start writing the check.

It's probably still in his back pocket and he too cheap to buy carbon copy checks and he stands there writing the check number and amount in the ledger.
 

TrueMaroonGrind

All-Conference
Jan 6, 2017
4,128
1,699
113
I found that out a couple of years ago. I have enough checks to last a lifetime. Thanks Costco.
 

johnson86-1

All-American
Aug 22, 2012
15,177
5,721
113
Why are you using a bank? Credit Unions are simply a better experience in every way.

That's going to be pretty specific to which credit union you are using. I have an account with a credit union and they would be great for non-mortgage loans if I needed one, but otherwise it's not much use. Internet banking is low functionality. Poor atm network. Interest on deposits are slightly higher, but I don't keep cash in deposit accounts if I don't need it pretty easily.

Some of the larger credit unions are probably more sophisticated and more like your typical regional bank.
 

o_Hot Rock

Senior
Jan 2, 2010
2,061
958
113
I had to be a fiduciary over a VA account for my DAD until he passed away last year. I wrote checks for the sitters since most of them didn't or wouldn't use a cash app. Sitters tend to be retired people themselves and many times are not tech savvy.

Now, I am handling my mom's funds, I still write a few for her. She is 91 and does not get online banking at all. I am also still using sitters for her but luckily most of them now have a cash app.

Thanks for the tip - I hope I never buy any again, since I just got some, but I won't be ordering from the bank if I do.
 

jxndawg

Sophomore
Dec 26, 2009
273
129
43
I'm the same way. I used to say that the only times I wrote checks anymore were for church and my housekeeper. Now my church lets me contribute online, so my little Regions book of checks lasts me about 2 years now.
 

greenbean.sixpack

All-American
Oct 6, 2012
9,406
8,834
113
I didn't realize this until a few months ago that you could order checks from WalMart or CostCo. My bank - it was costing $25 for 80 checks. Through Costco - I got 500 checks for $15.

As you are this concerned about such a trivial amount of money, I'm assuming you are getting a stimulus check? Just ribbing you!
 

jethreauxdawg

Heisman
Dec 20, 2010
11,868
17,102
113
Try asking your bank to do them for free

They should anyway, especially if you’ve been a customer a long time.
 

tatedog

Redshirt
Mar 28, 2015
8,739
0
0
Add me to this list, but also include "he likes to thumb lick through until he gets to the check he wants to use."
 

tribaldawg

Sophomore
Sep 1, 2012
502
173
43
We've always gotten a little M-State logo in the corner of our checks. Last time I re-ordered they sent us a book with Ole Miss in place of the M-State. I assume ESPN must have been involved somehow.

Shredded those bastards.


Or possibly somebody in Nashville.
 

Herbert Nenninger

All-Conference
Feb 9, 2019
851
1,265
93
Usually my wife handles the bills. when she was down for a while, I took over. I find it important to leave creative comments on the "for" line. one day she called to ask a question about a bill. to verify, the nice lady on the phone asked her: "Now, it was for a total of __ dollars, and specified for 'life-size david hasselhoff poster'; does this sound correct?" then I got my access to the checkbook rescinded.
 

patdog

Heisman
May 28, 2007
60,459
31,670
113
If you're eligible, USAA FSB is the only choice for checking. Savings and CD rates are only OK though.
 

RocketDawg

All-Conference
Oct 21, 2011
20,001
2,778
113
Didn't know you could order through Costco. Can you get the MSU ones there? 100 MSU ones through Redstone Federal Credit union are $42.
 

JungRebel

Redshirt
Aug 23, 2012
2,606
0
0
The only people I know that use checks (outside of their workplace) are using them to buy something other than what the memo says.
 

TaleofTwoDogs

All-Conference
Jun 1, 2004
4,335
2,131
113
DS - look close, that $25 consist of $8.16 for 80 checks and $16.84 for security shipping (tracking). I chose the first class mail option for $3.00 with no tracking. Unfortunately, with today's snail mail it took almost 2 weeks after shipping to receive the box. Eighty checks will last about a year or so.
 

Watchdog999

Redshirt
Mar 3, 2020
22
0
0
BankPlus Primeplus club checks are free if you 50 or over

 
Last edited:

dawgstudent

Heisman
Apr 15, 2003
40,522
22,252
113
DS - look close, that $25 consist of $8.16 for 80 checks and $16.84 for security shipping (tracking). I chose the first class mail option for $3.00 with no tracking. Unfortunately, with today's snail mail it took almost 2 weeks after shipping to receive the box. Eighty checks will last about a year or so.
Nope it's $25 for 80. I can pay $4.50 for "FraudArmor". It would be $39 if I want expedited shipping.
 

Motodawg

Senior
Apr 19, 2018
607
578
93
I casually asked the bank teller to order some checks for my business account a year or so back... I nearly shat when she gave me a price of 300 bucks.
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White No. 16 Mississippi State vs. No. 7 Alabama: How, where and when to watch the Bulldogs
  2. 02 Maroon and White Mississippi State Soccer preps for No. 11 South Carolina
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State's Zakari Tillman Out vs. Alabama
  4. 04 Maroon and White Football Will Mississippi State's secondary be the difference on Saturday?
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State sells out Davis Wade Stadium for 2nd week running