OT: Your Christmas wish list

punterjoe

Redshirt
Nov 12, 2009
235
0
0
I "accidentally" found out Santa was bringing me a new set of German knives in a badass case. I asked for a diamond watch.
 

pDigital32Dawg

Freshman
Aug 29, 2009
2,996
85
48
Milwaukee Tool has multiple facilities across Mississippi. They get the nod in my book simply for the boost to the local economy. However, I say that without any idea if Dewalt has a similar footprint in MS.
 
Nov 16, 2005
29,308
24,469
113
My dad has one. It's so badass. I still have the air compressor and air impact in my truck but this thing blows it away in tourque.
 

AssEndDawg

Freshman
Aug 1, 2007
3,183
54
48
I'm getting a DigiQ for my Green Egg. It's a digital temperature controller for smoking that will handle the airflow. Anyone else got one of these things? I've been doing a lot of slow and low lately and I'm tired of getting up at 4am to start cooking....
 

Dawgzilla

Redshirt
Mar 3, 2008
5,406
0
0
I've seen them in operation at the BGE store. Seems like it takes all the fun out of cooking, though.
 

jethreauxdawg

Heisman
Dec 20, 2010
11,883
17,157
113
I use one with my smoker.

I'm getting a DigiQ for my Green Egg. It's a digital temperature controller for smoking that will handle the airflow. Anyone else got one of these things? I've been doing a lot of slow and low lately and I'm tired of getting up at 4am to start cooking....

It's awesome. Get an extra thermocouple, it sucks when your only one gets a kink in it during a cook.
 

Dawgbite

Heisman
Nov 1, 2011
9,900
11,332
113
I'm getting a DigiQ for my Green Egg. It's a digital temperature controller for smoking that will handle the airflow. Anyone else got one of these things? I've been doing a lot of slow and low lately and I'm tired of getting up at 4am to start cooking....

Very good present. I have cooked 21 hours on one load of charcoal before. I got a party Q as well if I cooking somewhere that doesn't have easy access to 120v since it runs on batteries. If you don't already have a plate setter, it is a must have also. One piece of advice, don't light your fire and get the egg up to temp before hooking up the Q. Hook up the Q, light the fire, put the meat on and let it do its thing. It will learn to ramp up the temp without overshooting the temp. There is a learning curve about where to set the top vent, less is more. Let the guru force the air out, if you open it too much it will draw through the top and overshoot your temp.
 
Nov 12, 2007
26,031
10,196
113
Which WWII enemy are you going with?

Or you could get in the lottery for this guy: http://kramerknives.com/

You've got to get into a lottery to get a custom knife. He does hold auctions occasionally if you're ready to put down $30k. Even Anthony Bourdain didn't get one until last year. It's made from a meteorite.

/These are not the Kramer by Zwilling licensed design ones obviously, though I've heard those are really good knives.


Haven't decided but I am certain it will not be the high dollar one I would like to have.

As for the Kramer, I always wished I could do something like that. One of my great cousins was one of the last blacksmiths around in Amory. Used to spend time watching him work when I was a kid.
 
Nov 12, 2007
26,031
10,196
113
Hunt of a lifetime. I'll never top it and don't care that I won't. I just wish I had it on film.

Don't it always work out that way? You have a hunt like that and wish it was on video. I did video some that I will always remember but I would give anything to have had a camera on one turkey hunt my middle child and I did on youth day years ago. Called a gobbler and his hen across a large field till she passed us and then he followed. Thing is, we had no blind or cover... We just laid on our bellies on top of a teeny tiny patch of grass between that field and the next. Creek on our right and vine covered fence on our left, so it was the only way to go. She damned near stepped on my son when she came by. Two-year-old that gobbled his *** off till he was about 20 steps before my boy broke the longbeard's neck.
 

J-Dawg

Junior
Mar 4, 2009
2,232
325
83
i asked for a franchi instinct, but I'm not keeping my hopes up. Friend of mine owns a gun/archery/hunting/fishing store and I told my wife to ask him.

On my list as well.... Eventually. I bought a Franchi Intensity on a whim a couple of years ago and was sold on Franchi.
 

seshomoru

Senior
Apr 24, 2006
5,657
445
83
Wustohf Classic 8" is hard to beat. $99 on Amazon right now if you want to drop some hints. Victorinox 8" Fibrox Pro always gets high marks from Cook's Illustrated and Serious Eats for the budget category (for any category really). It's only $28 bucks on Amazon right now.
 
Nov 16, 2005
29,308
24,469
113
We've had both Dewalt and Milwaukee power tools for years on the farm. There's no difference. They're both good.
 

punterjoe

Redshirt
Nov 12, 2009
235
0
0
Wustohf Classic 8" is hard to beat. $99 on Amazon right now if you want to drop some hints. Victorinox 8" Fibrox Pro always gets high marks from Cook's Illustrated and Serious Eats for the budget category (for any category really). It's only $28 bucks on Amazon right now.

The Victorinox is what I keep around for my kitchen guys to use. Great knives for the price. I'll second the Wustohf suggestion in a big way. That's a knife you'll keep a long long time.
 

aspendawg

Junior
Sep 10, 2009
432
230
43
I asked my wife to start a multi-million dollar startup so I can retire and be a man of leisure for a living.
 

Xenomorph

Heisman
Feb 15, 2007
16,128
10,672
113
God, I hope you don't live in my neighborhood...

bringing "my kids" a custom built golf cart to cruise the 'hood with a Bluetooth sound system, bench seat on the back, traffic package (blinker, lights, horn), and 14" wheels.

\
 

AssEndDawg

Freshman
Aug 1, 2007
3,183
54
48
I've seen them in operation at the BGE store. Seems like it takes all the fun out of cooking, though.
I understand the sentiment, but when cooking for 18 hours on a Boston Butt I'm fine with some help to keep from making millimeter adjustments to the vents instead of sleeping.
 

bulldogcountry1

Redshirt
Jun 4, 2007
2,311
1
38

vocaldawg

Redshirt
Aug 28, 2012
21
0
1
Wustohf Classic 8" is hard to beat. $99 on Amazon right now if you want to drop some hints. Victorinox 8" Fibrox Pro always gets high marks from Cook's Illustrated and Serious Eats for the budget category (for any category really). It's only $28 bucks on Amazon right now.

I recently took Bourdain's advice on a new Global knife.... I got the larger Santoku. It's amazing. Global also has a new line out as well with a slightly different handle. It takes a $100 knife up to about $150-175 or so with the new styling.

Also.... for handmade, http://www.bloodrootblades.com/

These guys are incredible. While they do custom knives, they hold a lottery type system each month where they send out an email and you can bid on the purchase of one of the 15-20 or so monthly knives. The price doesn't change, but you bid to buy and they randomly choose a winner for each knife. price ranges from 350-1200 bucks or so. I think I read that their custom orders are on a near 4 year waitlist. These guys were featured on a Netflix documentary called "Crafted" .... interesting piece.
 

Dawgzilla

Redshirt
Mar 3, 2008
5,406
0
0
Yeah, I should have said "it takes SOME of the fun out of cooking". I enjoy the micro adjustments, but its not the best part. The guys in the BGE store were not very complimentary of the whole idea of automation. They made me feel kind of bad for even looking at it, and I was just curious about how it worked.
 

punterjoe

Redshirt
Nov 12, 2009
235
0
0
What kind of smokers do you guys use?

I use a couple Southern Pride DH-65's for work. I have an old hickory and a couple Oklahoma Joe's. I'm wanting the vertical offset that OK Joe has out. I like using the cheap offsets and making modifications to them for use at home. Competition and business I have to go with the quality pits.
 

Coast Dawg

Redshirt
Feb 28, 2008
364
0
0
112 lbs Thr, Minn Kota I-Pilot

for my bay boat

wasn't taking any chances and just bought it myself
 

HotMop

All-American
May 8, 2006
8,591
7,348
113
3 gallons of Dales and a Salt Block. I have 4 drumsticks that need to marinate 72 hours.
 
Nov 12, 2007
26,031
10,196
113
Wustohf Classic 8" is hard to beat. $99 on Amazon right now if you want to drop some hints. Victorinox 8" Fibrox Pro always gets high marks from Cook's Illustrated and Serious Eats for the budget category (for any category really). It's only $28 bucks on Amazon right now.

Perfect! Thanks man. If things go well I can get the Wustohf, if not the Victorinox.

Nice thing is my birthday is the end of January so I can make the pitch again.
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Football Anthony Evans III posts highest PFN WR grade of Week 5
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football Standout Stats: No. 7 Alabama 56-23 No. 16 Mississippi State
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football Unpacking Mississippi State's offensive unraveling against Alabama
  4. 04 Maroon and White Football "Learning Moments": Mississippi State HC Jeff Lebby speaks on rough outing for QB Kamario Taylor
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football "We let ourselves down": Isaac Smith and Anthony Evans III speak on Mississippi State's defeat to Alabama