OT: UPS(venting)

engie

Sophomore
May 29, 2011
10,763
106
63
Anyone else still waiting on stuff that was due early last week? I understand the disruption of the storm. But I've had a package sitting in Jackson since Saturday the 13th that just missed that Saturday truck, yet still hasn't made it to me. Would have seemed like good practice to run Sunday and Monday with the obvious coming weather, but I still understand that part. Two more that managed to make it to Jackson on Wed and Fri but still haven't made the truck.

What I don't understand is those items failing to make the truck for 3 business days after the storm has cleared. I'm venting because one of them is a $7 part to finish a $500 job that's holding me hostage while waiting on it. Anyone else experienced similar? It's as if once the delivery guarantees get voided by the storm, those items go to and stay at the back of the line. Just frustrating.

I've been ready to go postal on USPS since the excuse of COVID allowed them to start taking 3 weeks for priority mail while the rest of us are having to scrap just to get by. But this is a new one on me with UPS. Have MyChoice for Business, and all it tells me is delivery information is unavailable, check back tomorrow. For the past 3 days. FedEx delivered my one that was stuck in Memphis as expected/storm allowed yesterday afternoon.
 

Leeshouldveflanked

All-American
Nov 12, 2016
14,591
9,725
113
My mail hasn’t ran since Feb 13th...lots of people not getting meds because of Post Offices Week off
 

Cooterpoot

Redshirt
Aug 29, 2012
4,239
2
0
That Jackson hub has lost so much stuff I've ordered, I filed a complaint. Everything that goes missing, does so there.
 

johnson86-1

All-American
Aug 22, 2012
15,177
5,721
113
That Jackson hub has lost so much stuff I've ordered, I filed a complaint. Everything that goes missing, does so there.

We have two locations in Mississippi where the post office is a black hole. Will have a bunch of stuff people claim they've mailed to us, and it doesn't show up for a month or month and a half, and then we'll randomly show up and our PO Box be stuffed with enveloped post marked anywhere from 3 days to 6 weeks before. I have no clue what the 17 they do with all that mail in the interim, or why they pick one day to deliver it all. Really a pain in the *** because a lot of times it's checks, and when sketchy counterparties are telling us they sent a check the week before, we have no clue if they're telling the truth or not.
 

jethreauxdawg

Heisman
Dec 20, 2010
11,876
17,130
113
I wonder if a postal employee

That Jackson hub has lost so much stuff I've ordered, I filed a complaint. Everything that goes missing, does so there.

Works in the JSU athletic department. Sounds like there are a lot of Prime items going missing in both places.
 
Last edited:

TrueMaroonGrind

All-Conference
Jan 6, 2017
4,129
1,699
113
You’ll start seeing stuff moving again today. Lots of sorting happened Saturday, Sunday and Today
 

The Peeper

Heisman
Feb 26, 2008
16,702
12,431
113
Had a box shipped to me Feb 5 via UPS from California to Starkville house. One of my outdoor cameras sent me a text last night about 9:00, it was the UPS man still out delivering. I like him though, don't blame him. He's very good, knows I'm not there a lot and where I like my stuff left even though its not convenient for him. I'm going to get the tracking number when I get there today and see what path it took.
 

kired

All-Conference
Aug 22, 2008
7,130
2,539
113
For work, I've got $6000 worth of parts supposedly stuck in Jackson. Picked up by UPS in Birmingham on Wednesday, made it to Jackson Saturday afternoon and no update since. Just says check back tomorrow.

Had an interesting one with Amazon. Placed an order middle last week - scheduled delivery is this Friday, which is understandable. Placed another order around 10pm last night that'll be here Thursday. Guess I should have just held off on the one last week, lol
 

mstateglfr

All-American
Feb 24, 2008
16,885
6,692
113
UPS, FedEx, USPS, and all national LTL carriers are swamped. Add Amazon's private final delivery fleet to this too.
Absolutely swamped overall.

- drivers have left driving jobs and taken newly created warehouse jobs that have sprung up everywhere due to how much e-retail has grown in the last few years and especially in the last year. This means fewer drivers for more freight. It also means higher pay for drivers in certain high demand areas, which increases costs.
- when drivers are sick due to covid(or anything), there isnt always a replacement driver ready to go right away. This slows the delivery of freight.
- when dock and warehouse workers are sick due to covid(or anything), there isnt always a replacement worker ready to go right away. This delays pickups and deliveries since drivers have to wait longer.
- weather delays transportation everywhere since for-hire trucks dont just move back and forth, but rather in a web and one location being closed affects many others even if they are open.


All the above helps explain challenges in business and consumer small parcel and LTL shipping. Poorly run terminals then amplify all the issues and add their own issues to the mix.
 

Dawg1979

Redshirt
Jun 23, 2015
1,546
0
0
waiting on UPS to deliver a AR-15 i ordered. was supposed to deliver last tuesday. still not here.

i get the storm, but like you, sitting in jackson for over a week now.
 

Dawgsnsaints

Redshirt
Aug 30, 2012
379
0
0
Yep, delayed by a damn week and the package was in Montgomery. Wife ordered a candle warmer on the 17th and Fedx had it on our door step on the 19th as a contrast.
 

WilCoDawg

All-Conference
Sep 6, 2012
5,264
3,654
113
Prime loves the hood but won’t live in the hood? <insert confused face>
 

GloryDawg

Heisman
Mar 3, 2005
20,654
19,408
113
Works in the JSU athletic department. Sounds like there are a lot of Prime items going missing in both places.

It is kind of crazy. We pay them to deliver stuff for us but they ask us to buy insurance just in case they lose it.
 

The Peeper

Heisman
Feb 26, 2008
16,702
12,431
113
Got the tracking number for this and all is shows is it departed California 2/8 and was out for delivery 2/22, shows nothing in between.
 

RocketDawg

All-Conference
Oct 21, 2011
20,008
2,780
113
The Post Office closed many of the mail handling facilities a few years ago. I believe the only ones left in Mississippi are in Jackson and on the coast (plus Memphis, of course).

Ours in Huntsville was one of the ones closed, and services moved to B'ham. Now, if I send a letter to my nextdoor neighbor, it goes to B'ham and comes back two or three days later (if lucky).

Our service has really tanked since the closure, and it sounds like Jackson's is even worse. They probably are responsible for a pretty wide area and are just overwhelmed, not to mention the recent weather.
 

bulldogcountry1

Redshirt
Jun 4, 2007
2,311
1
38
In the last 4 months, I’ve had numerous items (both UPS and USPS) get to Jackson and sit there for days or weeks. Some show up lost on the tracking and then suddenly show up at my house.
 

kired

All-Conference
Aug 22, 2008
7,130
2,539
113
I rate them as follows:

1. UPS
2. FedEx.
3-99 Anybody else
100. USPS

I ordered some dog food off amazon back in December. Normally use Petco and it comes via UPS, never had a problem. But Amazon was $3 cheaper so... anyway, it shipped via USPS. For about 2 weeks it was showing delivery to be the next day. I figured they were just backed up with the holidays so I call the post office to see if I can pick it up - they don't have it. I end up getting a refund from Amazon.

2 weeks ago, and almost 2 months since my order - my now free bag of dog food randomly shows up
 

Dawgbite

Heisman
Nov 1, 2011
9,888
11,299
113
Live in Monroe County and have a business a couple of miles away. My home and my business are in different zip codes. If I mail a letter from my business, it goes to Amory, to Tupelo, to Memphis, to Jackson, to Columbus, to Aberdeen, to my home. All this for .51 cents. Can't believe that they are losing money.
 

vhdawg

All-Conference
Sep 29, 2004
4,888
2,806
113
I'd pay extra for UPS to not hand my packages off to USPS.
 

missouridawg

Junior
Oct 6, 2009
9,407
309
83
Business owner here... we ship 20-40 packages a day amongst various carriers. They are ALL still backed up in Houston. Last week, none of our carriers did pickups on Thursday and Friday, only deliveries. This week they are back to picking up, but a lot of the LTL carriers are slammed full and can’t get to everyone each day.
 

RocketDawg

All-Conference
Oct 21, 2011
20,008
2,780
113
Didn't know that. It's probably worthwhile if you order a fair amount. Do you still get Sunday deliveries?
 

HamSammich

Freshman
Nov 9, 2016
910
63
28
UPS driver here. We finally got to start back attempting to make deliveries yesterday. I worked 13 hours yesterday, 13 today and this will go on until we can catch up. I know it sucks guys but we are trying really hard. Thanks to the 2 different people who came and pulled me out just today (Calhoun and Yalobusha county). It’s mind blowing to me how awful roads are right now that do not see sunlight.
 

Maroon Eagle

All-American
May 24, 2006
18,584
8,561
102
I went out of town visiting family and was planning to be gone just for that weekend. I expected a package to arrive then so I asked them to hold my mail and had to extend the time twice because of the storm.

I expected the mail to arrive yesterday but it didn't. I went to the local post office earlier today and picked up the mail they'd held for me.
 

engie

Sophomore
May 29, 2011
10,763
106
63
Update: one came yesterday, one showing today, one showing tomorrow. Finally got the ducks in a row!

I guess the part I don’t understand is how stuff backs up at the sorting center like it did with ups this time. If the conditions are too bad for the people in the sorting center to go in to work, they are too bad for the trucks to arrive at said sorting center theoretically, but the stuff was making it to Jackson. I guess it basically has to back up somewhere with stuff being shipped but not delivered though.
 

Maroon Eagle

All-American
May 24, 2006
18,584
8,561
102
Yeah. I track my mail and have a few items that have been en route since last week. Many of them finally showed movement today except for the mail the post office had held for me.
 

RocketDawg

All-Conference
Oct 21, 2011
20,008
2,780
113
When there was a mail distribution center here, we would have to sort our mail and put it in separate drop boxes (not talking business - personal mail). Local (356xx, 357xx, and 358xx) went in one box, everything else went in another for distrubution to major centers (like Memphis and Atlanta), and so on. Local stuff stayed here for delivery by letter carrier, and next-day delivery was the norm. It's much worse now - a local letter is like 3-5 days if everything works like it's supposed to.
 

johnson86-1

All-American
Aug 22, 2012
15,177
5,721
113
But if you could focus on MY package, please.***

This is why the government never should have shut down sex solicitation on craigslist and backpage. All it does is move the activity to more civilized places like sixpack.**
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Football Last Call: Week 5 Predictions for No. 16 Mississippi State vs. No. 7 Alabama
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State Keys to Victory against Alabama
  3. 03 Maroon and White No. 16 Mississippi State vs. No. 7 Alabama: How, where and when to watch the Bulldogs
  4. 04 Maroon and White Mississippi State Soccer preps for No. 11 South Carolina
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State's Zakari Tillman Out vs. Alabama