OT: Starlink accepting preorders

Arthur2478

Redshirt
Oct 17, 2010
1,407
2
38
Starlink and its future competitors will be a game changer for rural internet service.
 

engie

Sophomore
May 29, 2011
10,763
106
63
How much does it cost?

$499 hardware
$50 shipping
$38.43 tax

$99/mo service

It's more cost prohibitive than I was hoping early on... No idea how it compares to others. Was hoping for a reasonable alternative for deer camp since my AT&T was sketchy there and CSPIRE has been worse, although they lie and claim 2 bars of LTE while ATT at least accurately projected their service situation. Guess it's on to Verizon next.
 
Nov 16, 2005
29,290
24,406
113
I found it. Signed up our farm for it. We have no broadband option other than satellite and the cell service is pretty terrible. And with all the technology we use now it’s important we have a good fast and reliable internet connection.
 

jethreauxdawg

Heisman
Dec 20, 2010
11,876
17,131
113
I’ll sign up

The next time AT&T gives me a price increase. It’s a matter of principle. I’m tired of calling and complaining and playing the stupid game in order to keep my price the same. Don’t care that starlink will be more a little expensive. I’m willing to cut off my nose to spite my face.
 

msstatelp1

All-Conference
Aug 21, 2012
2,100
1,286
113
I've preordered it. I live in the Magnolia area of Olive Branch and am stuck with Xfinity or 18thCenturylink. I currently use Xfinity as its the lesser of the two evils but speeds are inconsistent. The fiber companies have run fiber passed my neighborhood to higher priced subdivisions east of me but won't service the my area. The electrical coop (Northcentral) won't commit to when they'll have figer in the area so my options are limited.
 

The Fatboy

Senior
Oct 18, 2005
2,782
744
83
China and other closed internet countries are going to lose their **** when it is available worldwide.
Russia is already considering fines. I'm sure they won't stop there.
 

o_Hot Rock

Senior
Jan 2, 2010
2,061
958
113
I don't need it, but I suspect others might

https://www.starlink.com/
I have been waiting to see the cost for some time now. I use a cell tower service company through AT&T but it goes out 2 or 3 times a month.

I paid 400 for equipment and 95 a month for limited coverage with at best 25 mbs download and usually less than 10mbs with a cap at 300 GB a month which is not enough. To get unlimited it's $149 a month.

I went to every cell phone provider in the area Cspire, ATT, Verizon.. no one would sell me a set up for internet in my house. I found a service that does it.

HughesNet and other satellite based companies are even higher and they cap the service as well. Cspire's unlimilted slows after 25gb in a month.

I have been waiting and waiting for decent internet out in the rural areas for years. Now, my power company is running cables out for service. I hope it's cheaper than Starlink. I will try it first if it gets here.
 
Last edited:

WhiteShepherd07

Redshirt
Sep 2, 2012
226
8
13
I don't need it, but I suspect others might

https://www.starlink.com/

I pre ordered it a couple weeks ago. Ever ring delivery late summer.

For others who have no option, check out u2connectnow.com. I started a lease option with them 2 weeks ago and it runs off 4g Lte UNLIMITED data. They send you a router with a pre loaded SIM card. $115/mo for the router lease + data. I’ve been more than pleased so far.
 

catvet

All-American
May 11, 2009
4,262
5,636
113
The start up cost is steep but if you have no alternatives then it is what the market bears. I really like what the rural electric associations are doing in several areas of Mississippi. They are offering fiber internet to their customers. Tallahatchie Valley Electric is building out their system and said it would take about 5 years to complete: they are one year in. 300 mb is 59.99 and 1 Gig is 79.99. More than reasonable and several coops are doing this as well. Its good for rural residents to finally have options.
 
Oct 29, 2009
2,704
579
113
What is it?

$499 hardware
$50 shipping
$38.43 tax

$99/mo service

It's more cost prohibitive than I was hoping early on... No idea how it compares to others. Was hoping for a reasonable alternative for deer camp since my AT&T was sketchy there and CSPIRE has been worse, although they lie and claim 2 bars of LTE while ATT at least accurately projected their service situation. Guess it's on to Verizon next.


If that is just internet, thats insane costs....our power association just ran the lines to our neighborhood over the last 3 weeks....goes live in a month.....1Gig for $75 a month, no contracts, no rental on routers, etc...

this is first ive heard of starlink and the link doesn't tell me anything about it
 

MaroonOldCrow

Senior
Aug 22, 2012
585
479
63
If that is just internet, thats insane costs....our power association just ran the lines to our neighborhood over the last 3 weeks....goes live in a month.....1Gig for $75 a month, no contracts, no rental on routers, etc...

this is first ive heard of starlink and the link doesn't tell me anything about it

Broadband internet provided via a low-earth orbit satellite constellation. It's in beta now with users in more northerly latitudes, and everyone that has it is raving about how well it works. It's best for people so far out in the boonies that they have little to no cell reception and no good alternatives for internet service (e.g. HughesNet). Lots of youtube videos on it with people showing unboxing, installation (very easy), and speed testing.
 

TrueMaroonGrind

All-Conference
Jan 6, 2017
4,129
1,699
113
Wth is it? I want to know what I am preordering

Low orbit satellite internet. It has increased speed and less lag than the traditional satellite internet options. It is better because they are using many more satellites to build a reliable coverage grid at a much lower orbit. Lower orbit means there is less distance the data has to travel which makes it faster.

That is my basic understanding of it.
 
Dec 9, 2018
913
863
93
The start up cost is steep but if you have no alternatives then it is what the market bears. I really like what the rural electric associations are doing in several areas of Mississippi. They are offering fiber internet to their customers. Tallahatchie Valley Electric is building out their system and said it would take about 5 years to complete: they are one year in. 300 mb is 59.99 and 1 Gig is 79.99. More than reasonable and several coops are doing this as well. Its good for rural residents to finally have options.
Changing the law to allow rural electric co-ops to do this is the best thing the MS legislature has done for rural folks in quite a while. They deserve to be applauded for this.
 

drail14me

Redshirt
Jul 20, 2008
1,349
14
38
Starlink and its future competitors will be a game changer for rural internet service.

Not as much as the electric coops in Mississippi offering fiber. That basically kills Satellite internet in Mississippi. Good riddance.
 

msstatelp1

All-Conference
Aug 21, 2012
2,100
1,286
113
Not as much as the electric coops in Mississippi offering fiber. That basically kills Satellite internet in Mississippi. Good riddance.

well if you can wait 5-6 years before getting fiber with the possibility of them not providing it to you anyway. I live 3 miles from the Northcentral EPA Main Office in Olive Branch and have their high voltage supply lines running down one side of my yard but I can't get a commitment from them as to if or when they may provide services to me.
 

archdog

Redshirt
Aug 22, 2012
1,882
0
0
The start up cost is steep but if you have no alternatives then it is what the market bears. I really like what the rural electric associations are doing in several areas of Mississippi. They are offering fiber internet to their customers. Tallahatchie Valley Electric is building out their system and said it would take about 5 years to complete: they are one year in. 300 mb is 59.99 and 1 Gig is 79.99. More than reasonable and several coops are doing this as well. Its good for rural residents to finally have options.


If Elon's system ever become publicly traded, I am buying it. The amount of money he is going to make is going to be astronomical off of this system.
 

llmsudawg

Redshirt
Mar 3, 2008
538
17
18
I pre-ordered it a week ago. I pay $80 a month for 15mbps where I am. It will be up to 10 years before my coop gets me fiber. This is a no-brainer for me. $20 more, for up to 10 times the speed. I'll eat the $500 equipment charge. I have kids and a wife and have to work from home frequently.

Look up the beta test videos on Youtube, if any are not familiar with it. The more people who sign up and get it, the lower the cost will be, eventually. But yes, it is good to have options.
 

kired

All-Conference
Aug 22, 2008
7,131
2,539
113
My parents live off in the middle of nowhere, on NE Power out of Oxford. Got hooked up on fiber late last year. We joke because now they have faster speeds than my comcast.

That's going to be a huge benefit to people living in rural communities. I know a lot of people I grew up with that would never consider living there because there was no reliable high speed internet (me included).
 

WhiteShepherd07

Redshirt
Sep 2, 2012
226
8
13
If Elon's system ever become publicly traded, I am buying it. The amount of money he is going to make is going to be astronomical off of this system.

Space X which owns Starlink announced like 2 weeks ago it was planning an IPO this year.
 
Dec 9, 2018
913
863
93
It’s great if your power association does it. The one up here has no plans at the moment.
That sucks, but you are not powerless.

They are called an association because its costumers are basically it's stockholders. The association members can vote in a Board of Directors who would be more receptive to expanding service.
 

Xenomorph

Heisman
Feb 15, 2007
16,125
10,665
113
I’m on gigabit fiber through my EPA. I get 970 up and down for $80 per month. Turned off Directv immediately and went to YTTV.
 

SheltonChoked

Redshirt
Feb 27, 2008
1,786
0
0
Changing the law to allow rural electric co-ops to do this is the best thing the MS legislature has done for rural folks in quite a while. They deserve to be applauded for this.

Even more so in a post COVID world where companies found out 80% of their office workforce can work from anywhere.

There are millions of people that would move somewhere with a couple to 10 acres, as long as they had high speed internet to get their work done. Especially within a 45 minute drive to a college town.
 

RocketDawg

All-Conference
Oct 21, 2011
20,030
2,794
113
Gotta wonder if the transfer from satellite to satellite is seamless. During one internet session, it would have to transfer many time since they're at such a low altitude. A huge advantage is that there is no noticeable lag like there is with geosynch satellites. A disadvantage is that the program is cluttering low Earth orbit. But - another advantage is that they're low enough so at least they'll eventually fall back to Earth because of atmospheric drag.
 

xxxWalkTheDawg

Redshirt
Oct 21, 2005
4,262
0
25
$499 hardware
$50 shipping
$38.43 tax

$99/mo service

It's more cost prohibitive than I was hoping early on... No idea how it compares to others. Was hoping for a reasonable alternative for deer camp since my AT&T was sketchy there and CSPIRE has been worse, although they lie and claim 2 bars of LTE while ATT at least accurately projected their service situation. Guess it's on to Verizon next.

All you need is a cell phone repeater. Get a YAGI antenna, point it toward the tower, and you are set.
 
Nov 16, 2005
29,290
24,406
113
They’re great people and all their employees are great but things like that are just not on the radar right now.
 

dstatechamps

Sophomore
Oct 15, 2006
270
163
43
They’re great people and all their employees are great but things like that are just not on the radar right now.

I work for a co-op and the company that is handling our install gave us a guarantee that if at any time we didn't want it, they would buy it from us. Keep in mind our board tends to be a bit tight, but they approved phase two of our project six months before they were due to. We visited another power company in Missouri before we started that funds 80% of their electric operations cost from their internet subsidiary.

Curious as to why your folks won't pull the trigger.
 
Dec 9, 2018
913
863
93
I work for a co-op and the company that is handling our install gave us a guarantee that if at any time we didn't want it, they would buy it from us. Keep in mind our board tends to be a bit tight, but they approved phase two of our project six months before they were due to. We visited another power company in Missouri before we started that funds 80% of their electric operations cost from their internet subsidiary.

Curious as to why your folks won't pull the trigger.

Do you mind stating which co-op you work for? If there is a privacy issue, totally understand. I am wondering how many of the co-ops are pursuing this. Seems like a no brainer to me.
 

greenbean.sixpack

All-American
Oct 6, 2012
9,411
8,837
113
Not as much as the electric coops in Mississippi offering fiber. That basically kills Satellite internet in Mississippi. Good riddance.

There are plenty of rural Mississippians who will not get fiber through Co-Ops. Additionally there are plenty of deer camps that don't have power or cell service.
 

WhiteShepherd07

Redshirt
Sep 2, 2012
226
8
13
Can the satellite receiver be moved around (or RVing, Deer Camp, etc), or does it have to remain in the original location it was set up in?

Phase 1 will have to stay in place. The signal will remember your geo location or something so you can’t transport it far.

Phase 2 they hope to have it portable for RV’rs and backpackers going into remote areas. Would be cool bc it could replace satellite phones.
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Football Live Updates: Mississippi State vs. Alabama
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football Last Call: Week 5 Predictions for No. 16 Mississippi State vs. No. 7 Alabama
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State Keys to Victory against Alabama
  4. 04 Maroon and White No. 16 Mississippi State vs. No. 7 Alabama: How, where and when to watch the Bulldogs
  5. 05 Maroon and White Mississippi State Soccer preps for No. 11 South Carolina