OT: Potential Winter Storm on 3/7-8

Knight Shift

Heisman
May 19, 2011
91,013
89,156
113
Can you take a quick ride to Rumson and let me know the conditions over there? Ever since you moved I have not gotten my Rumson weather reports. I need to know if I should pack my caviar for lunch today.
I forget who it was, but he used to get all wound up when I would give a report from Rumson, like I was showing off. I changed my reports to "near Sea Bright."
My electrician and a plumber that did work for us both live in Rumson. Other than the large estates, most of the neighborhoods have affordable housing stock--it is becoming harder to come by since most older homes have been torn down and new homes have been built.

Perhaps in John O's thread, we should recommend that kids should skip college and train to become a plumber or electrician.
 

KingHigh

All-American
Apr 12, 2005
21,293
9,216
0
I forget who it was, but he used to get all wound up when I would give a report from Rumson, like I was showing off. I changed my reports to "near Sea Bright."
My electrician and a plumber that did work for us both live in Rumson. Other than the large estates, most of the neighborhoods have affordable housing stock--it is becoming harder to come by since most older homes have been torn down and new homes have been built.

Perhaps in John O's thread, we should recommend that kids should skip college and train to become a plumber or electrician.

Is it true that there are tons of swingers over there? When I fantasize about living in Rumson, I imagine a lot of swingers. Please tell me it's true
 
  • Like
Reactions: RUDead

RU848789

Heisman
Jul 27, 2001
65,440
44,455
113
One more post tonight. I expect the NWS will take note of the more bullish model near consensus and expand the warnings to all of NJ, except maybe Atlantic, Cape May and Cumberland (and to the rest of LI/CT), as well as raise the snowfall forecasts to something like 12-18” just NW of 95, 8-14” likely along and within maybe 20-25 miles SE of 95, where mixing with rain should be minimal (and confined to the locations closer to the coast in that swath) and even 4-8” for coastal sections, This is actually pretty similar to what Lee Goldberg on Channel 7 showed earlier (see above), as he also increased snowfall amounts significantly vs. earlier this evening.

Having said all that, even at this late stage, with the storm taking shape, it's highly unlikely, but possible, that the outcome could change to a wetter solution, like it was earlier today or an even less wet solution, by a track shift of ~25 miles either way, but shifts greater than that are extremely unlikely. But have happened at least 2X that I can think of this late for this big of a storm, resulting in major busts - March 2001 and Jan 2015 - I'm sure more than a few are wishing for that. Be safe out there and try to enjoy the beauty of it all and/or go out and play in it with your kids.

So, the NWS-Philly almost did what I thought, as they expanded the warnings to the NJ counties along the Delaware River from Salem to Burlington and to Western Monmouth and upped snowfall amounts everywhere else, as per the map below, although not as much as I thought, as they have 4-8" along and just SE of the NJTPK from DE to Woodbridge (a swath maybe 10-15 miles wide) and 8-12" along and just NW of the TPK from DE to Woodbridge (a swath about 25 miles wide) - personally, I would've had that whole area at 6-12". They did increase everywhere NW of a line about 20-25 miles NW of 95/TPK to 12-18" (with maxes to 20"), which seems about right. Snowfall maps are below, as is the map of warnings (pink) and advisories (blue).

They issued advisories for coastal Monmouth and Cumberland (1-3" with up to 5" possible in spots), but did not issue advisories for Ocean, which surprises me; they have Ocean/Atlantic/Cape May/SE Burlington with no advisory, with <1" forecast, but their maps have a few inches for NW portions of Ocean. And the NWS-NYC extended the warnings to southern NYC, Nassau and the rest of CT, but not Suffolk, which just has an advisory. They also have 8-12" along 95 into NYC and 12-18" about 20 or so miles NW of a line, along 95, from NYC to New Haven. Note that most of the models are showing the 10-18" amounts extending to the 95/TPK corridor, so a fair amount more than the NWS forecast is possible; same for coastal sections. I still like Lee Goldberg's map, especially for areas SE of 95, which is also below.

As I've been saying, this is a powerful, potentially dangerous storm and while it doesn't look like much yet for most (maybe an inch in some places and light to moderate snow now through mid-morning with nothing on the roads), by mid/late morning, expect the snow to really pick up and to start accumulating, at least within 10-20 miles SE of 95 and all points NW of there. Where it's all/mostly snow, there will occasionally be blizzard conditions and roads will become treacherous by the afternoon and through the evening. And with heavy wet snow sticking to trees and 30-40 mph gusts, there will likely be downed trees/power lines and power outages.

By the way, TWC is forecasting 12-18" from Philly to NYC, along 95 and even about 10 miles SE of that line and, obviously for quite a ways NW of that line and they have 8-12" about 10-25 miles SE of that line, with the 8" line running from about Glassboro to Belmar and then they have snowfall amounts rapidly going down to near zero along a line from about Vineland to Toms River. Wish I could find/post that map, as I think it's very well done, showing the greater snowfall potential SE of 95 (where I think the NWS is underdone). And if the 6Z NAM is correct, those amounts may be underdone, lol (but the NAM often overdoes precip).








 
Last edited:

Knight Shift

Heisman
May 19, 2011
91,013
89,156
113
So, the NWS-Philly almost did what I thought, as they expanded the warnings to the NJ counties along the Delaware River from Salem to Burlington and to Western Monmouth and upped snowfall amounts everywhere else, as per the map below, although not as much as I thought, as they have 4-8" along and just SE of the NJTPK from DE to Woodbridge (a swath maybe 10-15 miles wide) and 8-12" along and just NW of the TPK from DE to Woodbridge (a swath about 25 miles wide) - personally, I would've had that whole area at 6-12". They did increase everywhere NW of a line about 20-25 miles NW of 95/TPK to 12-18" (with maxes to 20"), which seems about right. Snowfall maps are below, as is the map of warnings (pink) and advisories (blue).

They issued advisories for coastal Monmouth and Cumberland (1-3" with up to 5" possible in spots), but did not issue advisories for Ocean, which surprises me; they have Ocean/Atlantic/Cape May/SE Burlington with no advisory, with <1" forecast, but their maps have a few inches for NW portions of Ocean. And the NWS-NYC extended the warnings to southern NYC, Nassau and the rest of CT, but not Suffolk, which just has an advisory. They also have 8-12" along 95 into NYC and 12-18" about 20 or so miles NW of a line, along 95, from NYC to New Haven. Note that most of the models are showing the 10-18" amounts extending to the 95/TPK corridor, so a fair amount more than the NWS forecast is possible; same for coastal sections. I still like Lee Goldberg's map, especially for areas SE of 95, which is also below.

As I've been saying, this is a powerful, potentially dangerous storm and while it doesn't look like much yet for most (maybe an inch in some places and light to moderate snow now through mid-morning with nothing on the roads), by mid/late morning, expect the snow to really pick up and to start accumulating, at least within 10-20 miles SE of 95 and all points NW of there. Where it's all/mostly snow, there will occasionally be blizzard conditions and roads will become treacherous by the afternoon and through the evening. And with heavy wet snow sticking to trees and 30-40 mph gusts, there will likely be downed trees/power lines and power outages.








That 0" white band in the NWS map yesterday afternoon did not extend up to Toms River. Now the band is narrower right along the coast, and it looks like 0-1" (white and very light blue) extends into South (maybe even central) Monmouth along the coast.
https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...ter-storm-on-3-7-8.141179/page-7#post-3212030
 

Knight Shift

Heisman
May 19, 2011
91,013
89,156
113
Is it true that there are tons of swingers over there? When I fantasize about living in Rumson, I imagine a lot of swingers. Please tell me it's true
Have no idea. We moved there at the urging of a very good friend of mine. We left 12 years later, and my only true friend that still lives there is my good friend. Got the impression if you were not in investment banking, you were not part of the in club. We should have left years ago.
 

KingHigh

All-American
Apr 12, 2005
21,293
9,216
0
Have no idea. We moved there at the urging of a very good friend of mine. We left 12 years later, and my only true friend that still lives there is my good friend. Got the impression if you were not in investment banking, you were not part of the in club. We should have left years ago.

It's like that here in Freehold, except instead of investment banking, you have to be on the PTO LOL
 

Knight Shift

Heisman
May 19, 2011
91,013
89,156
113
It's like that here in Freehold, except instead of investment banking, you have to be on the PTO LOL
We detected something strange up in that area soon after we moved there. The people were very parochial. I've stated this before here--we lived at our last address for 7 years, and we were friendly with one neighbor to our right. I used to clear the sidewalk in front of my neighbor's house on the left when it snowed. We never got a thank you or anything (not that I was looking for anything, but a thank you or an invite to swing would have been nice). Little did we know, they sold their house and moved, and we did not find out until 7 or 8 months after the fact.
It is completely different in Wall. We are friendly with and know more about our neighbors in less than 6 months than after 7 years in Rumson.
 

koleszar

Heisman
Jan 1, 2010
37,961
59,980
113
Have no idea. We moved there at the urging of a very good friend of mine. We left 12 years later, and my only true friend that still lives there is my good friend. Got the impression if you were not in investment banking, you were not part of the in club. We should have left years ago.
Am I correct it looks like it's going to change over to snow sometime around 10 am for our area? I know you're a little closer to the shore than I am but this looks to be the change over time.
 

knightfan7

Heisman
Jul 30, 2003
96,923
70,646
113

CodyRU

Heisman
Nov 28, 2007
112,803
13,180
100
Here is western gloucester county (exit 1 NJTP, exit 10 rt295) very large flakes starting to come down. Sticking to the grass but not so much the roads yet. Hoping it stays warmish so not too much sticks to the roadways
 

Knight Shift

Heisman
May 19, 2011
91,013
89,156
113
Very confusing. NWS as of an hour ago projects 1-2" here. Other sites have anywhere from 5-10".

Am I correct it looks like it's going to change over to snow sometime around 10 am for our area? I know you're a little closer to the shore than I am but this looks to be the change over time.

I have my construction salamander heater that I have from Sandy and my gas grill fired up and pointed toward the sky. It ain't going to snow around my house!!!!

Knightfan7 is right- the forecasts are in conflict. And what actually happens is really up to Mother Nature at this point. Still raining hard here in the Allenwood section (which, by the way is THE MOST FANCY SECTION of WALL (for @KingHigh :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:). Wall is so damn confusing. My neighbor has an Allenwood mailing address, and we have a Manasquan mailing address. I think we need to move again. . . . . .
 
  • Like
Reactions: koleszar

koleszar

Heisman
Jan 1, 2010
37,961
59,980
113
Very confusing. NWS as of an hour ago projects 1-2" here. Other sites have anywhere from 5-10".
Ha [laughing], I literally just got a call from my Pole Barn guy, "he said let's see what happens with this snow before we call in for any inspections". We finally after 2 1/2 years got our permit last week. We were supposed to start Monday and now this. They all know me now down at the town after this escapade. When I picked it up they said finally huh you must be excited, I said, "No, you guys sucked all the joy out of it".
 

Knight Shift

Heisman
May 19, 2011
91,013
89,156
113
Ha [laughing], I literally just got a call from my Pole Barn guy he said let's see what happens with this snow before we call in for any inspections. We finally after 2 1/2 years got our permit last week. We were supposed to start Monday and now this. They all know me know down at the town. When I picked it up they said finally huh you must be excited, I said, "No, you guys sucked all the joy out of it".
2 1/2 years for a pole barn permit on a farm? WTF? You should get @KingHigh after them.
 

knightfan7

Heisman
Jul 30, 2003
96,923
70,646
113
Ha [laughing], I literally just got a call from my Pole Barn guy, "he said let's see what happens with this snow before we call in for any inspections". We finally after 2 1/2 years got our permit last week. We were supposed to start Monday and now this. They all know me now down at the town after this escapade. When I picked it up they said finally huh you must be excited, I said, "No, you guys sucked all the joy out of it".

I hear ya. You get so beat up that you just don't care anymore.
 
  • Like
Reactions: koleszar

RU848789

Heisman
Jul 27, 2001
65,440
44,455
113
Very confusing. NWS as of an hour ago projects 1-2" here. Other sites have anywhere from 5-10".

Many forecasters are thinking the very steep gradient that the NWS has near and just SE of 95 will more likely be about 20 miles SE of there (imagine moving all those snowfall amounts on the map SE 20 miles), meaning western Monmouth and Ocean could be getting 6-12" and there could be 3-6" even down to the coast in Monmouth and maybe 1-3" down to the coast in at least northern Ocean. Big differences. As I've said, I think the NWS forecasts for SE of 95 are underdone, but we'll see soon.

4" being reported in Exton PA about 20 miles west of Philly and 1-2" in the Philly/SNJ area - the heavy stuff is on its way and should get to CNJ in the next 2-3 hours. It may take some time for the snow to accumulate on the roads with temps in the mid-30s and the midday sun, but heavy snowfall will overcome that. Going to be quite a show from maybe 11 am to 7 pm.
 

koleszar

Heisman
Jan 1, 2010
37,961
59,980
113
2 1/2 years for a pole barn permit on a farm? WTF? You should get @KingHigh after them.
It's been a friggin nightmare with getting LOI with the wetlands and everything. 1st we had a fight with the state they wanted to include a man made drainage channel as wetlands. We finally won that one, they wanted to take 1/4 of my property. Then the town zoning officer was using outdated maps, they actually showed a stream on my property. He didn't know how to read a LOI, had to send my Environmental engineer down there twice to school him on how to read it.

Then the retaining wall to level the land was a fight. I've been building these things for over 25 yrs. and go straight by manufacturer specs. Howell has their own specs straight from who the hell knows, they wouldn't provide me with a source. Lost that one had to have drawings redrawn up.

Plans for barn that passed 3 yrs. ago were denied by building official who passed those same exact plans 3yrs. ago on a similar building we built. That was another fight, had to eventually have new plans redrawn up. It's a total sh*t show in Howell and advise no one to ever move here. I've dealt with a lot of towns through out the years and this one and Bradley Beach by far have hired the most morons.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Knight Shift

goru1869

All-Conference
Nov 16, 2005
7,239
3,630
113
2 inches on the ground in Flanders and starting to stick to the pavement. Oh and the Devils won 6-4 last night.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Finster Baby

RU848789

Heisman
Jul 27, 2001
65,440
44,455
113
It's nowcasting and short range, high resolution mesoscale model time. Here's the latest high res HRRR model snowfall map through tonight and the most recent high resolution NAM (high resolution means 3 km grid spacing for both; most global models use in the range of 12 km grid spacing). Looking at the high res HRRR and NAM is why some forecasters are upping their snowfall amounts, especially for 95 and SE of there. Note that these are 10:1 ratio maps which are likely overdone for SE of 95 and probably even 95, as ratios may be more like 7-8:1 - same mass of snow falls either way, this number just affects the snow depth - for purposes of snow removal and weight on trees, the ratio is irrelevant, the mass is all that matters, which is why I like using the 10:1 maps. We'll see...



 

Knight Shift

Heisman
May 19, 2011
91,013
89,156
113
It's nowcasting and short range, high resolution mesoscale model time. Here's the latest high res HRRR model snowfall map through tonight and the most recent high resolution NAM (high resolution means 3 km grid spacing for both; most global models use in the range of 12 km grid spacing). Looking at the high res HRRR and NAM is why some forecasters are upping their snowfall amounts, especially for 95 and SE of there. Note that these are 10:1 ratio maps which are likely overdone for SE of 95 and probably even 95, as ratios may be more like 7-8:1 - same mass of snow falls either way, this number just affects the snow depth - for purposes of snow removal and weight on trees, the ratio is irrelevant, the mass is all that matters, which is why I like using the 10:1 maps. We'll see...



Am I reading that right? 17.2" in/around New Brunswick?
If that turns out to be correct, will that be $400 (4X $100)?
 

Postman_1

Heisman
Mar 12, 2017
8,513
13,560
113
Raining here in Hamilton thats all. Light dusting on the grass and some cars
 

JMORC2003

All-Conference
Dec 22, 2008
4,609
2,535
0
Still nada but a light drizzle in Cranford. On a bus into the city and playing it by ear. Hopefully get a solid few hours before calling it a day
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: Knight Shift

RU848789

Heisman
Jul 27, 2001
65,440
44,455
113
Am I reading that right? 17.2" in/around New Brunswick?
If that turns out to be correct, will that be $400 (4X $100)?
Yes, of course, that was a rider in the bet, no? All kidding aside, this one is now a lock for me. There's simply no way NB doesn't get at least 8" at this point. I don't think those maps will verify for depth, but I do think that amount of snow (mass) will fall and be really hard to shovel, plow, and will be responsible for many power outages (would be better for that if the snow were dry and didn't stick to the trees). My best guess for NB right now is 12" on the ground, but 16" if it were 10:1 ratio. I'll say 13" on the ground at my house - a bit more than the 6-8" I was thinking until last night.
 

RU848789

Heisman
Jul 27, 2001
65,440
44,455
113
By the way, it's 35F and snowing lightly to moderately - been doing so since maybe 5 am (was light alternating rain/snow from 2 to 5 am) and we have about 3/4" on the grass to show for it, due to melting, as expected (probably about 2" worth has fallen). Ready for the big show to start in about 1-2 hours.
 

Knight Shift

Heisman
May 19, 2011
91,013
89,156
113
Yes, of course, that was a rider in the bet, no? All kidding aside, this one is now a lock for me. There's simply no way NB doesn't get at least 8" at this point. I don't think those maps will verify for depth, but I do think that amount of snow (mass) will fall and be really hard to shovel, plow, and will be responsible for many power outages (would be better for that if the snow were dry and didn't stick to the trees). My best guess for NB right now is 12" on the ground, but 16" if it were 10:1 ratio. I'll say 13" on the ground at my house - a bit more than the 6-8" I was thinking until last night.
It turned to sleet here in Wall an hour a go and now it is back to all rain. Hoping that 0" narrow NWS band up the Ocean/Monmouth Coast holds.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Local Shill
The Knight Report

Latest

  1. 01 The Knight Report Early Recruit Visitor list for Rutgers Football versus Indiana
  2. 02 The Knight Report Football ESPN FPI projects Rutgers Football's 2026 schedule - Week Four
  3. 03 The Knight Report Rutgers vs Indiana odds: Point spread released on Scarlet Knights, Hoosiers
  4. 04 The Knight Report Football Every throw from Rutgers Football QB Dylan Lonergan versus Howard
  5. 05 The Knight Report Rutgers Football PFF Grades + Snap Counts versus Howard