No reason for optimism

1vagamecock

All-Conference
Jan 19, 2022
1,892
1,416
113
Years ago I remember working at Bi-Lo in Greenville as the Gamecocks played Navy. I was a huge Gamecock fan as a 16 year old, and I was listening as we took on Navy for a chance to be ranked #1 in the country.
We all know how that turned out. Now some 44 years later ( I think) Im still a Gamecock fan. I've seen more down times than up. I've watched maybe 6 really good football teams, maybe 4 really good basketball teams and many good baseball teams over the last 44 years.
Folks this is who we are. I never thought I'd be one of those "older guys " that lost all hope in Gamecocks sports but here I am.
Our Football team our basketball team (mens) and our Baseball team are all made fun of by other schools in the SEC.
Im still a Gamecock fan for life but if the last 44 years have taught me anything it's that nothing in mens athletics is going to change........except my hope.
 

18IsTheMan

Heisman
Oct 1, 2014
20,937
17,841
113
Years ago I remember working at Bi-Lo in Greenville as the Gamecocks played Navy. I was a huge Gamecock fan as a 16 year old, and I was listening as we took on Navy for a chance to be ranked #1 in the country.
We all know how that turned out. Now some 44 years later ( I think) Im still a Gamecock fan. I've seen more down times than up. I've watched maybe 6 really good football teams, maybe 4 really good basketball teams and many good baseball teams over the last 44 years.
Folks this is who we are. I never thought I'd be one of those "older guys " that lost all hope in Gamecocks sports but here I am.
Our Football team our basketball team (mens) and our Baseball team are all made fun of by other schools in the SEC.
Im still a Gamecock fan for life but if the last 44 years have taught me anything it's that nothing in mens athletics is going to change........except my hope.
You know, it's what bonds generations of Gamecock fans together. A son, father and grandfather have all had the exact same, identical fan experience.
 

1vagamecock

All-Conference
Jan 19, 2022
1,892
1,416
113
You know, it's what bonds generations of Gamecock fans together. A son, father and grandfather have all had the exact same, identical fan experience.
I remember years ago when going to a Gamecock football game was a social gathering and if you happened to win that was a bonus. Football games were fun but no one expected to win the big game.
 
  • Like
Reactions: kidrobinski

Swifty

Junior
Jan 21, 2022
358
305
53
I will never give up the hope that we crest that mountain top in football and basketball like we did for a time in baseball. The only difference over the past few years is that I don't get down about it like I used to. I get frustrated during the games with the missed reads, over/underthrown balls, fumbles, dropped passes, whiffs on shoulder missile "tackles", wasted timeouts/uncalled timeouts. All that BS. But I don't throw the remote or my glasses or swear at the TV. It really is just a stupid game and, as Jerry Seinfeld once posited, we're rooting for laundry.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1vagamecock

PrestonyteParrot

All-Conference
May 28, 2024
3,273
3,232
113
I remember years ago when going to a Gamecock football game was a social gathering and if you happened to win that was a bonus. Football games were fun but no one expected to win the big game.
So, nothing has changed.
Except TV viewership instead of live attendance.
 

Dabo's Weenie

All-Conference
Nov 30, 2024
998
1,071
93
Years ago I remember working at Bi-Lo in Greenville as the Gamecocks played Navy. I was a huge Gamecock fan as a 16 year old, and I was listening as we took on Navy for a chance to be ranked #1 in the country.
We all know how that turned out. Now some 44 years later ( I think) Im still a Gamecock fan. I've seen more down times than up. I've watched maybe 6 really good football teams, maybe 4 really good basketball teams and many good baseball teams over the last 44 years.
Folks this is who we are. I never thought I'd be one of those "older guys " that lost all hope in Gamecocks sports but here I am.
Our Football team our basketball team (mens) and our Baseball team are all made fun of by other schools in the SEC.
Im still a Gamecock fan for life but if the last 44 years have taught me anything it's that nothing in mens athletics is going to change........except my hope.

Here's some good news - it's only been 42 years since that game, which means you've had 2 years added to your lifespan! And you didn't even have to diet or exercise! :D

Of course, you could choose to view that as having an additional 2 years of Gamecock Suffering. :unsure::D
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1vagamecock

18IsTheMan

Heisman
Oct 1, 2014
20,937
17,841
113
we're rooting for laundry.

Sadly, it didn't used to be that way for college football. For the most part, your players were your players and you followed for 3 or 4 years. Yeah, you were cheering for the team, but there was an undeniable connection to the specific players as well. You recruited them, developed them, watched them move from backup to starter.

Now with the portal, there's next to no connection.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Swifty

Swifty

Junior
Jan 21, 2022
358
305
53
Sadly, it didn't used to be that way for college football. For the most part, your players were your players and you followed for 3 or 4 years. Yeah, you were cheering for the team, but there was an undeniable connection to the specific players as well. You recruited them, developed them, watched them move from backup to starter.

Now with the portal, there's next to no connection.
Yup. That started with basketball with the 'one & done" players. No more Leattner, Montross, Webber, etc for 3-4 years to love or hate.
 

Johnnysurf

Joined Aug 11, 2018
Feb 1, 2021
371
692
93
Years ago I remember working at Bi-Lo in Greenville as the Gamecocks played Navy. I was a huge Gamecock fan as a 16 year old, and I was listening as we took on Navy for a chance to be ranked #1 in the country.
We all know how that turned out. Now some 44 years later ( I think) Im still a Gamecock fan. I've seen more down times than up. I've watched maybe 6 really good football teams, maybe 4 really good basketball teams and many good baseball teams over the last 44 years.
Folks this is who we are. I never thought I'd be one of those "older guys " that lost all hope in Gamecocks sports but here I am.
Our Football team our basketball team (mens) and our Baseball team are all made fun of by other schools in the SEC.
Im still a Gamecock fan for life but if the last 44 years have taught me anything it's that nothing in mens athletics is going to change........except my hope.
same except I was working at the piggly wiggly 🤣
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1vagamecock

kidrobinski

All-Conference
Jul 27, 2004
1,531
1,357
113
So, nothing has changed.
False. To the nth.

Everybody in the country expects to win now or they want someone’s head. If ‘they’ did it why can’t we, etc.

Someone posted above that the rest of the conference makes fun of us; is that not what we do too (‘it’s JUST Miss st, Kentucky, Vanderbilt’)?

I (1)never disrespect an opponent and (2)don’t give a rats arse what other schools or fans chortle about.
 

bayrooster

All-American
Aug 21, 2003
15,638
8,054
113
Yes, but seems to be on the same path as Bi-Lo. Every time one opens in our vicinity, it's not long before it closes its doors. There are about 1/3 the number of stores in SC as there were 20 years ago.
They only succeed in areas where there's little to no competition.
 

KingWard

All-American
Feb 15, 2022
8,601
8,774
113
Years ago I remember working at Bi-Lo in Greenville as the Gamecocks played Navy. I was a huge Gamecock fan as a 16 year old, and I was listening as we took on Navy for a chance to be ranked #1 in the country.
We all know how that turned out. Now some 44 years later ( I think) Im still a Gamecock fan. I've seen more down times than up. I've watched maybe 6 really good football teams, maybe 4 really good basketball teams and many good baseball teams over the last 44 years.
Folks this is who we are. I never thought I'd be one of those "older guys " that lost all hope in Gamecocks sports but here I am.
Our Football team our basketball team (mens) and our Baseball team are all made fun of by other schools in the SEC.
Im still a Gamecock fan for life but if the last 44 years have taught me anything it's that nothing in mens athletics is going to change........except my hope.
42 years this year. Happened in 1984.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1vagamecock

Traildust57

Freshman
Sep 22, 2019
293
93
28
If one hangs one's hat on the successes or failures of 20 year old dumb and full of ____ dudes, then the problem is indeed a problem.
 

rockingamecock

Joined Aug 28, 2001
Feb 2, 2022
1,295
2,110
113
Only one time have we finished in the top 10. If you take out Spurrier's time here we've basically done nothing . . . even Lou Holtz had a losing record at Carolina. It will never change.
 

PD-Cock

All-American
Jan 29, 2022
4,312
9,445
113
same except I was working at the piggly wiggly 🤣

And both have suffered similar fates. :unsure:

Y'all should be ashamed of what you did to these once thriving companies.
I must've destroyed A & P working as a bag boy! Shoulda stayed w/ paper bags. Knew the moment our Mgr introduced us to "latest & greatest" modernized addition to the world of bagging groceries, "The "T" SHIRT" plastic bag!
We all hooted, scoffed & hissed @ the sight! Gonna save the trees, they told us. Shoulda unionized right on the spot.
Think of all the gallons of milk, Clorox, glass jars of pickles, relish & other pantry items left to curdle & smell on the asphalt parking lots of these once proud bastions that became neighborhood gathering places.
For us kids, demise of the ole paper ice cream bag changed the dynamics of taking lunch to school forever.
You youngsters could never appreciate how great you had it w/ metal lunch boxes.
Taking bagged homemade lunch to school was the precursor of fast food, drive thrus, take outs, meals on wheels, now, Door-Dash!
Multimillion dollar fast food industry sprang up, all because we kids hated .25c school lunch & warm milk.
OK, Last part quite the stretch.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1vagamecock
GamecockCentral

Latest

  1. 01 GamecockCentral Football Carolina Confidential - Final thoughts on South Carolina vs. Florida
  2. 02 GamecockCentral Football Three keys to a South Carolina win over Florida
  3. 03 TheBigSpur Football South Carolina's Top Players are Making Critical Mistakes at Bad Times
  4. 04 GamecockCentral Football Behind Enemy Lines: Florida reporter breaks down Gators ahead of South Carolina game
  5. 05 GamecockCentral Football Advanced stats of the week ahead of South Carolina-Florida: Bad pass defenses