No reason for optimism

1vagamecock

All-Conference
Jan 19, 2022
1,890
1,415
113
Years ago I remember working at Bi-Lo in Greenville as the Gamecocks played Navy. I was a huge Gamecock fan as a 16 year old, and I was listening as we took on Navy for a chance to be ranked #1 in the country.
We all know how that turned out. Now some 44 years later ( I think) Im still a Gamecock fan. I've seen more down times than up. I've watched maybe 6 really good football teams, maybe 4 really good basketball teams and many good baseball teams over the last 44 years.
Folks this is who we are. I never thought I'd be one of those "older guys " that lost all hope in Gamecocks sports but here I am.
Our Football team our basketball team (mens) and our Baseball team are all made fun of by other schools in the SEC.
Im still a Gamecock fan for life but if the last 44 years have taught me anything it's that nothing in mens athletics is going to change........except my hope.
 

18IsTheMan

Heisman
Oct 1, 2014
20,915
17,814
113
Years ago I remember working at Bi-Lo in Greenville as the Gamecocks played Navy. I was a huge Gamecock fan as a 16 year old, and I was listening as we took on Navy for a chance to be ranked #1 in the country.
We all know how that turned out. Now some 44 years later ( I think) Im still a Gamecock fan. I've seen more down times than up. I've watched maybe 6 really good football teams, maybe 4 really good basketball teams and many good baseball teams over the last 44 years.
Folks this is who we are. I never thought I'd be one of those "older guys " that lost all hope in Gamecocks sports but here I am.
Our Football team our basketball team (mens) and our Baseball team are all made fun of by other schools in the SEC.
Im still a Gamecock fan for life but if the last 44 years have taught me anything it's that nothing in mens athletics is going to change........except my hope.
You know, it's what bonds generations of Gamecock fans together. A son, father and grandfather have all had the exact same, identical fan experience.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1vagamecock

1vagamecock

All-Conference
Jan 19, 2022
1,890
1,415
113
You know, it's what bonds generations of Gamecock fans together. A son, father and grandfather have all had the exact same, identical fan experience.
I remember years ago when going to a Gamecock football game was a social gathering and if you happened to win that was a bonus. Football games were fun but no one expected to win the big game.
 
  • Like
Reactions: kidrobinski

Swifty

Junior
Jan 21, 2022
357
303
53
I will never give up the hope that we crest that mountain top in football and basketball like we did for a time in baseball. The only difference over the past few years is that I don't get down about it like I used to. I get frustrated during the games with the missed reads, over/underthrown balls, fumbles, dropped passes, whiffs on shoulder missile "tackles", wasted timeouts/uncalled timeouts. All that BS. But I don't throw the remote or my glasses or swear at the TV. It really is just a stupid game and, as Jerry Seinfeld once posited, we're rooting for laundry.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1vagamecock

PrestonyteParrot

All-Conference
May 28, 2024
3,271
3,231
113
I remember years ago when going to a Gamecock football game was a social gathering and if you happened to win that was a bonus. Football games were fun but no one expected to win the big game.
So, nothing has changed.
Except TV viewership instead of live attendance.
 

Dabo's Weenie

All-Conference
Nov 30, 2024
995
1,068
93
Years ago I remember working at Bi-Lo in Greenville as the Gamecocks played Navy. I was a huge Gamecock fan as a 16 year old, and I was listening as we took on Navy for a chance to be ranked #1 in the country.
We all know how that turned out. Now some 44 years later ( I think) Im still a Gamecock fan. I've seen more down times than up. I've watched maybe 6 really good football teams, maybe 4 really good basketball teams and many good baseball teams over the last 44 years.
Folks this is who we are. I never thought I'd be one of those "older guys " that lost all hope in Gamecocks sports but here I am.
Our Football team our basketball team (mens) and our Baseball team are all made fun of by other schools in the SEC.
Im still a Gamecock fan for life but if the last 44 years have taught me anything it's that nothing in mens athletics is going to change........except my hope.

Here's some good news - it's only been 42 years since that game, which means you've had 2 years added to your lifespan! And you didn't even have to diet or exercise! :D

Of course, you could choose to view that as having an additional 2 years of Gamecock Suffering. :unsure::D
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1vagamecock

18IsTheMan

Heisman
Oct 1, 2014
20,915
17,814
113
we're rooting for laundry.

Sadly, it didn't used to be that way for college football. For the most part, your players were your players and you followed for 3 or 4 years. Yeah, you were cheering for the team, but there was an undeniable connection to the specific players as well. You recruited them, developed them, watched them move from backup to starter.

Now with the portal, there's next to no connection.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Swifty

Swifty

Junior
Jan 21, 2022
357
303
53
Sadly, it didn't used to be that way for college football. For the most part, your players were your players and you followed for 3 or 4 years. Yeah, you were cheering for the team, but there was an undeniable connection to the specific players as well. You recruited them, developed them, watched them move from backup to starter.

Now with the portal, there's next to no connection.
Yup. That started with basketball with the 'one & done" players. No more Leattner, Montross, Webber, etc for 3-4 years to love or hate.
 

Johnnysurf

Joined Aug 11, 2018
Feb 1, 2021
371
692
93
Years ago I remember working at Bi-Lo in Greenville as the Gamecocks played Navy. I was a huge Gamecock fan as a 16 year old, and I was listening as we took on Navy for a chance to be ranked #1 in the country.
We all know how that turned out. Now some 44 years later ( I think) Im still a Gamecock fan. I've seen more down times than up. I've watched maybe 6 really good football teams, maybe 4 really good basketball teams and many good baseball teams over the last 44 years.
Folks this is who we are. I never thought I'd be one of those "older guys " that lost all hope in Gamecocks sports but here I am.
Our Football team our basketball team (mens) and our Baseball team are all made fun of by other schools in the SEC.
Im still a Gamecock fan for life but if the last 44 years have taught me anything it's that nothing in mens athletics is going to change........except my hope.
same except I was working at the piggly wiggly 🤣
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1vagamecock

kidrobinski

All-Conference
Jul 27, 2004
1,528
1,353
113
So, nothing has changed.
False. To the nth.

Everybody in the country expects to win now or they want someone’s head. If ‘they’ did it why can’t we, etc.

Someone posted above that the rest of the conference makes fun of us; is that not what we do too (‘it’s JUST Miss st, Kentucky, Vanderbilt’)?

I (1)never disrespect an opponent and (2)don’t give a rats arse what other schools or fans chortle about.
 
GamecockCentral

Latest

  1. 01 GamecockCentral Basketball South Carolina men's basketball tipoff times, TV information announced
  2. 02 GamecockCentral Football 'He hit a gear': Kendal Briles evaluates LaNorris Sellers' latest performance
  3. 03 GamecockCentral Football An updated look at South Carolina football's top roster talent in the On3 Impact Rankings
  4. 04 GamecockCentral Football Gamecocks in the NFL: Week 4 recap, Week 5 preview
  5. 05 GamecockCentral Womens Basketball South Carolinan women's basketball: Notes from Big Ten media day