Last time State executed a fake punt for a touchdown?

The Fatboy

Senior
Oct 18, 2005
2,782
744
83
I was watching a post on Instagram from SECN showing a bunch of clips of previous SEC TDs and I can't remember the last time we scored on one. Anybody?
 

jethreauxdawg

Heisman
Dec 20, 2010
11,876
17,131
113
Scored?

I can’t remember one that got a first down. Maybe we’ve done that recently and I’m just still numb from Mullen attempting and failing so badly every time.
 

Maroon Eagle

All-American
May 24, 2006
18,584
8,561
102
I think 1982. Dana Moore threw a pass on a fake punt to Michael Haddix that went 40 yards for a TD against Georgia.
 
Last edited:

MSUDC11

Redshirt
Aug 23, 2012
7,316
0
0
I can think of zero good memories regarding MSU and fake punts.

The fake punt call against Auburn in 2014 when we were up 21-0 may for real be the dumbest play call in school history.
 

patdog

Heisman
May 28, 2007
60,467
31,681
113
Historically, Mississippi State has to be the worst program in the country at pulling off trick plays. Not just FCS, all divisions, NAIA, any pro league and probably even any high school league.
 

kb549

Sophomore
Oct 6, 2014
835
141
43
And it’s even more frustrating when you see Logan Cooke pull them off in Jacksonville. I’m note sure what his successful conversion percentage is after this year, but I think at one point last year, he was 100% on every one he had attempted since making it to the NFL.
 

SwampDawg

Sophomore
Feb 24, 2008
2,193
122
63
Historically, Mississippi State has to be the worst program in the country at pulling off trick plays. Not just FCS, all divisions, NAIA, any pro league and probably even any high school league.
Yes. We always look like The Three Stooges trying to run out of a door.
 

Swede39

Junior
Jan 29, 2016
361
365
63
I was watching a post on Instagram from SECN showing a bunch of clips of previous SEC TDs and I can't remember the last time we scored on one. Anybody?
If I remember correctly both of mine we didn't even get past the first down.

2011 vs Memphis Mullen wanted to do a pop pass type thing. Me to Ladarius Perkins. Loss of 4 but hey I completed the pass.
I'm pretty sure we did one in 2012 and I want to say it was against A&M at home when Manziel mopped the floor with us. It was supposed to look like a roll out punt and I flipped to Jamerson Love on a reverse. Didn't get the first down.

So funny story. 2012 at Ole Miss (It was FREEZING btw). Wrapping up the 3rd quarter and we're down probably 3 touchdowns. Ole Miss has the game in hand basically. Mullen had completely given up. You could just see it in his eyes.

Anyways, the stadium is rocking because Ole Miss is beating their not-real rival by 3 touchdowns so rightfully so. I can hardly hear anything. Punt team is called. Mullen calls "Speed Ringo In" which is basically a right punt with the gunners pulled in to have a little more protection.

I trot out there. Great snap and as I punt the ball I can just feel that something is off. It was weird. I run down to cover and fortunately the returner called fair catch. But there was like one other teammate down there to cover. Odd I thought.

I shrug and jog off the field. Mullen is just standing there on the sidelines with a glazed look over his face and he motions me over. I'm thinking "Yeah dude these guys didn't even cover the punt, wtf.". I go over to him and he says "I called a fake you dumbass." I look at him and go "You said Speed Ringo In, what are you talking about?". He said, "I said Speed Rodeo. The fake". Then he just walked away.

Lol so two morals of the story there. One I needed to get better a lip reading. And two, don't name a fake play that sounds anywhere near another play because I can barely hear you when the stadium is loud.

Happy Monday gents.
 

LawDawg97

Redshirt
Sep 7, 2012
1,138
0
0
Fantastic story

thanks for sharing. And yeah, not the best idea to use two names that can be so easily misheard.
 

Maroon Eagle

All-American
May 24, 2006
18,584
8,561
102
Agreed. Great story.

That said, I’ll be the nitpicker and take the side that it’s a good idea to have fake punt calls be similar to real punt calls if only because you never know if someone on the other side is listening in or reading lips.

Swede likely saved State from further embarrassment considering our history.
 

Drebin

Heisman
Aug 22, 2012
22,511
27,479
113
Stories like this one are why I pay for my SPS premium subscription.
 

vhdawg

All-Conference
Sep 29, 2004
4,888
2,806
113
You did us (and Mullen) a service with your poor lipreading ability.

Edited to add: I looked up the box score, and this must have been the punt on the drive after Ole Miss went up 34-17. Let's set the situation in which our dumbass coach wanted to fake: It's 4th-and-8, at the MSU 40 yard line, and Baker punted 47 yards to the Ole Miss 13 where it was fair catched (fair caught?) by Jeff Scott with 1:43 remaining in the 3rd. Ole Miss scored on the next drive regardless, on an 11-play drive that was ten runs followed by a touchdown pass. MSU followed THAT drive up by Tyler Russell throwing an incomplete pass and getting sacked twice, and then for some stupid reason Baker couldn't punt it but 35 yards, COME ON BAKER WHAT ARE YOU EVEN DOING OUT THERE???

Again, thank you Baker for mishearing him and giving us all one less thing to ***** about after that game.
 
Last edited:

kired

All-Conference
Aug 22, 2008
7,131
2,539
113
Ha, this must be the series. What a miserable game that was. I haven't been back since, after having to listen to that feed moncrief crap all night. Nice punt.



  • [h=3]1st & 10 at MSST 24[/h]
    (3:11 - 3rd) Tyler Russell pass complete to Chris Smith for 14 yards to the MisSt 38 for a 1ST down.​
  • [h=3]1st & 10 at MSST 38[/h]
    (2:36 - 3rd) LaDarius Perkins rush for a loss of 1 yard to the MisSt 37.​
  • [h=3]2nd & 11 at MSST 37[/h]
    (2:29 - 3rd) Tyler Russell pass incomplete to Chris Smith.​
  • [h=3]3rd & 11 at MSST 37[/h]
    (1:57 - 3rd) LaDarius Perkins rush for 3 yards to the MisSt 40.​
  • [h=3]4th & 8 at MSST 40[/h]
    (1:43 - 3rd) Baker Swedenburg punt for 47 yards, fair catch by Jeff Scott at the Miss 13.​
 

Swede39

Junior
Jan 29, 2016
361
365
63
You did us (and Mullen) a service with your poor lipreading ability.

Edited to add: I looked up the box score, and this must have been the punt on the drive after Ole Miss went up 34-17. Let's set the situation in which our dumbass coach wanted to fake: It's 4th-and-8, at the MSU 40 yard line, and Baker punted 47 yards to the Ole Miss 13 where it was fair catched (fair caught?) by Jeff Scott with 1:43 remaining in the 3rd. Ole Miss scored on the next drive regardless, on an 11-play drive that was ten runs followed by a touchdown pass. MSU followed THAT drive up by Tyler Russell throwing an incomplete pass and getting sacked twice, and then for some stupid reason Baker couldn't punt it but 35 yards, COME ON BAKER WHAT ARE YOU EVEN DOING OUT THERE???

Again, thank you Baker for mishearing him and giving us all one less thing to ***** about after that game.

I was just trying to do my civic duty lol
 

Go Budaw

Redshirt
Aug 22, 2012
7,321
0
36
Can’t read that story without thinking about the incoherent Coach Klein rant in The Waterboy.

”He pretends to fake. He doesn’t fake at all! I don’t know where I am.”
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Football Last Call: Week 5 Predictions for No. 16 Mississippi State vs. No. 7 Alabama
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State Keys to Victory against Alabama
  3. 03 Maroon and White No. 16 Mississippi State vs. No. 7 Alabama: How, where and when to watch the Bulldogs
  4. 04 Maroon and White Mississippi State Soccer preps for No. 11 South Carolina
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State's Zakari Tillman Out vs. Alabama