Just returned from Caravan in Lexington

Son_Of_Saul

Hall of Famer
Dec 7, 2007
45,963
102,176
113
For the record , the 8 year old at 4 ' 3" asking for an autograph -- Thats a KID , The 6'8" 240 guy in college is a young adult . Like old enough to go to war . You dont have to be Mr Rogers , but dont be totally rude . Esp at a public event where interaction with the public is expected .

You were there?
 

Son_Of_Saul

Hall of Famer
Dec 7, 2007
45,963
102,176
113
Apparently, it's not enough to get their autograph. Now they have to act as if you are acquaintances. People are so damn entitled these days. Get your autograph and move on.

Chris Farley as a UK fan: "Hey remember that time you beat Louisville?"

UK player: "Yeah, I remember.

UK fan: "That was awesome."
 

irishcat1965

Heisman
Apr 22, 2012
21,203
45,715
113
I can’t imagine the BS these players hear. On the occasions I listen to Cal’s weekly show, I cringe at the idiots telling him how he needs to coach. “Coach, I’m Billy Bob from Monkey’s Eyebrow. I have followed the cats for 50 years. When I coached grade school basketball, I (enter moronic advice). Hope that helps coach!”
I have no idea how Cal bites his tongue on those calls.
 
  • Like
Reactions: BlueVelvetFog

GonzoCat90

Heisman
Mar 30, 2009
32,377
34,559
0
I can’t imagine the BS these players hear. On the occasions I listen to Cal’s weekly show, I cringe at the idiots telling him how he needs to coach. “Coach, I’m Billy Bob from Monkey’s Eyebrow. I have followed the cats for 50 years. When I coached grade school basketball, I (enter moronic advice). Hope that helps coach!”
I have no idea how Cal bites his tongue on those calls.

Eight million dollars a year and the perfect personality to coach here.
 

UKCAT5FAN

All-Conference
May 9, 2010
5,284
3,821
113
People like to think the players can do no wrong. Its why we always see posters call them "good kids." Hell, idk if theyre good kids or not. I just want them to hang banners. Like Cal says, theyre not robots. You never know what experience you may have when interracting with them. Im sure they grow numb to all the constant exposure.

Ive seen a poster say what a bad experience they had w Briscoe at a camp being disinterested, etc and a week later he was fantastic with my son and I at camp. Quade was great last year and seemed annoyed to be there this year. Theyre just like us, day to day, etc. Hard to be all smiles 24/7 for the whole state. You never know, dont take it personal and try not to put them on a pedestal.

But what you say about PJ is consistent with what I saw two weeks ago at camp as well. Who knows. Who cares. Maybe he has chit on his mind, we all do sometime or another.


Talking about Briscoe, I've got a good story about him. My son and I attended a game his freshman year. Most of us know that after the game, Cal and whoever is POTG signs balls while they do their radio broadcast after every game. Well, you've got to get one of the signature balls in order for guys to allow you to get a signature. Other balls will tear the sharpie up if they're used. It was early in the year, Briscoe's freshman year actually, and he was the POTG, so he came out before Cal did to do his radio piece. My son and I were right up front, right in front of him. He was signing away but the ushers kept passing on my son cause he didn't have one of those signature balls that they require. They kept passing on him and passing on him. Finally, Briscoe says.....What about that kid? The usher replied.......You can't sign those type of basketballs. Isaiah looked at him all weird, rolled his eyes, and turned to my son and said......Give me that ball kid, I don't care what those guys say, I'm signing it.

He signed it and it sits right along side the rest of his UK memorabilia in his room. He seemed like a really good kid and just wanted to make sure all the kids were happy that stayed to watch his radio broadcast. My son will always remember that cause it made him feel special in a moment that he could've remembered for the exact opposite reasons. I'll always be grateful for that kindness.
 
Last edited:

kevcat

Heisman
Feb 26, 2007
27,686
32,625
0
Honestly, I’m not sure this is something Cal should do again. It was very nice of him to do it, but there’s just nothing to gain from it. In reality, it’s just 18-19 nineteen year old kids that are good at basketball that happened to pick Kentucky. Mainly because they see this as their quickest way to professional basketball.
Little Johnny will quickly forget about it and move on to watching the World Cup and playing video games.

Again, nice of Cal to do it, but it’s probably best not to do it again.
 
  • Like
Reactions: crpoore

uk78_rivals88018

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
12,401
8,783
0
Talking about Briscoe, I've got a good story about him. My son and I attended a game his freshman year. Most of us know that after the game, Cal and whoever is POTG signs balls while they do their radio broadcast after every game. Well, you've got to get one of the signature balls in order for guys to allow you to get a signature. Other balls will tear the sharpie up if they're used. It was early in the year, Briscoe's freshman year actually, and he was the POTG, so he came out before Cal did to do his radio piece. My son and I were right up front, right in front of him. He was signing away but the ushers kept passing on my son cause he didn't have one of those signature balls that they require. They kept passing on him and passing on him. Finally, Briscoe says.....What about that kid? The usher replied.......You can't sign those type of basketballs. Isaiah looked at him all weird, rolled his eyes, and turned to my son and said......Give me that ball kid, I don't care what those guys say, I'm signing it.

He signed it and it sits right along side the rest of his UK memorabilia in his room. He seemed like a really good kid and just wanted to make sure all the kids were happy that stayed to watch his radio broadcast. My son will always remember that cause it made him feel special in a moment that he could've remembered for the exact opposite reasons. I'll always be grateful for that kindness.

Cool story.
 
  • Like
Reactions: UKCAT5FAN

Mike-D

Heisman
Jul 14, 2001
50,464
75,674
113
I don’t give 2 ***** how he acted. If he’s gonna be a bruising PF, he better start acting like Charles Oakley at all times. Some of you act like you’re dealing with 35 year old men. Every damn one of you had your moments at 18 or 19, except some loser didn’t get on a message board to tell on your dumb ***.
 

Mike-D

Heisman
Jul 14, 2001
50,464
75,674
113
Thank you. Your opinion means so much. I see you enjoy degrading and calling people names. Enjoy your day man, hope you let out some of that anger. My family enjoyed it. I’ll get your permission to go next time, since this was my first rodeo.

Dude, you got on an internet message board to bash an 18 year old kid. Pot meet kettle.
 

kevcat

Heisman
Feb 26, 2007
27,686
32,625
0
I don’t give 2 ***** how he acted. If he’s gonna be a bruising PF, he better start acting like Charles Oakley at all times. Some of you act like you’re dealing with 35 year old men. Every damn one of you had your moments at 18 or 19, except some loser didn’t get on a message board to tell on your dumb ***.
Relax man. I don’t care if PJ slapped 17 6 year olds in the face, as long as he brings home Number 9 it’s all good.

Besides, who gives a crap about UK Basketball when the World Cup is going on?
BTW, does anyone know when this ends?
 
  • Like
Reactions: crpoore

Mike-D

Heisman
Jul 14, 2001
50,464
75,674
113
Relax man. I don’t care if PJ slapped 17 6 year olds in the face, as long as he brings home Number 9 it’s all good.

Besides, who gives a crap about UK Basketball when the World Cup is going on?
BTW, does anyone know when this ends?

Well he didn’t smack anyone, or it would be in the news. Sounds like he hurt someone’s feelings. So yeah, let’s bash the hell out of ‘em, because someone on a message board said he was mean. We eat our own. Best fan base ever.
 

shutzhund

All-Conference
Nov 19, 2005
29,202
2,619
0
Only in todays society can a guy be loser for telling the truth .


Most of the time the truth is all in the eye of the beholder. Personally a grown man chasing after ball players to get an autograph is creepy to begin with. I sort of question that kind of person's ability to make a judgement call on anyone.

PJ is just fine.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Crawfords Corner

morgousky

Heisman
Sep 5, 2009
23,959
43,171
0
I am not into autographs, but you guys basically ridiculing people who like to go to these events, if they don't have kids, is a little bizarre. Why does the fact that they like it reflect poorly on them? Because you don't share their interest?

I am a huge memorabilia collector. It’s a huge hobby of my father and I. My father was an original grapher from the 50’s when no one did it. Joe Hall would give him game used jerseys back when they would throw them away. My son is already excited about it. Graphing is a huge hobby across the US, there’s nothing creepy about it at all. We travel to the hotels and hot spots and rack up, college and pros. It’s totally addictive and fun, you also meet a lot of players and most are really awesome to have conversations with.

People talking about this like the players hate it have no idea what they’re talking about. Most players love the attention.

Tony Delk has a book tour that came through a town close to me in Tennessee a few weeks ago. I had a game used Nba jersey of his I wanted to get signed. He sat down with us and signed all of our memorabilia we brought, discussed Cal and Pitino, why he wasn’t allowed to wear 00 in the NBA, and had a great time. There are so many great experiences that it brings.

Not to mention, when you know how to graph the right way ( not some stupid note card or picture) it is a high like no other. Nothing like spring training in baseball, get back to the room with 2 dozen black oml baseballs signed with silver sharpie signatures.

You have to understand the hobby and be a part of it to get it. If they saw our collections, they’d want it.

Plus, this **** is worth a lot. If you sold this stuff it would pay for every trip you take.

I would love to take one guy that makes fun of it with me on a graphing trip. After seeing how much awesome and unique sht they get, ill bet you they are hooked for life. Most people just don’t know how to do it right.

What about this piece.....I found a guy that climbed the poles outside of the dome in New Orleans and managed to get two final four 2012 banners (huge). I bought one from him when I heard about it, 300 bucks. I’ve got the whole team signed on it, nice special piece.

I laugh when people think it’s stupid. Really, please keep thinking it. It makes it easier on the vets to get the good sht. And if you have enough, it will pay for your kids college if you wanted it to.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: CatfanMike47

kevcat

Heisman
Feb 26, 2007
27,686
32,625
0
I am a huge memorabilia collector. It’s a huge hobby of my father and I. My son is already excited about it. Graphing is a huge hobby across the US, there’s nothing creepy about it at all. We travel to the hotels and hot spots and rack up, college and pros. It’s totally addictive and fun, you also meet a lot of players and most are really awesome to have conversations with.

People talking about this like the players hate it have no idea what they’re talking about. Most players love the attention.

Tony Delk has a book tour that came through a town close to me in Tennessee a few weeks ago. I had a game used Nba jersey of his I wanted to get signed. He sat down with us and signed all of our memorabilia we brought, discussed Cal and Pitino, why he wasn’t allowed to wear 00 in the NBA, and had a great time. There are so many great experiences that it brings.

Not to mention, when you know how to graph the right way ( not some stupid note card or picture) it is a high like no other. Nothing like spring training in baseball, get back to the room with 2 dozen black oml baseballs signed with silver sharpie signatures.

You have to understand the hobby and be a part of it to get it. If they saw our collections, they’d want it.

Plus, this **** is worth a lot. If you sold this stuff it would pay for every trip you take.
Don’t worry Morg, PJ will be all smiles when he’s doing his autograph tour after this seasons over.
He’ll be shaking hands and kissing babies when these same people are shelling out money to shake his hand, take pictures, and get his autograph.
 

Mike-D

Heisman
Jul 14, 2001
50,464
75,674
113
Don’t worry Morg, PJ will be all smiles when he’s doing his autograph tour after this seasons over.
He’ll be shaking hands and kissing babies when these same people are shelling out money to shake his hand, take pictures, and get his autograph.

It will be worth every penny too
 
  • Like
Reactions: kevcat

kevcat

Heisman
Feb 26, 2007
27,686
32,625
0
Pete Rose comes first to mind when thinking about a players autograph. If he’s not getting paid for his autograph, he’s the biggest prick you’ll ever see. BTW, is there anyone that doesn’t have his autograph by now?
 

morgousky

Heisman
Sep 5, 2009
23,959
43,171
0
Don’t worry Morg, PJ will be all smiles when he’s doing his autograph tour after this seasons over.
He’ll be shaking hands and kissing babies when these same people are shelling out money to shake his hand, take pictures, and get his autograph.

I don’t typically like the auto tours. Too many rules, no real conversations.

I will be hitting pj up in the G league team hotels where I can get it right. Good signature placement where I want it, unique items, the full experience.
 

morgousky

Heisman
Sep 5, 2009
23,959
43,171
0
Pete Rose comes first to mind when thinking about a players autograph. If he’s not getting paid for his autograph, he’s the biggest prick you’ll ever see. BTW, is there anyone that doesn’t have his autograph by now?

Pete let his signature get away from him. Over signing is a bad thing.
 
  • Like
Reactions: kevcat

irishcat1965

Heisman
Apr 22, 2012
21,203
45,715
113
Pete Rose comes first to mind when thinking about a players autograph. If he’s not getting paid for his autograph, he’s the biggest prick you’ll ever see. BTW, is there anyone that doesn’t have his autograph by now?
Lol. I wouldn’t walk across the street to get anyone’s autograph. I don’t care who it is.
 
  • Like
Reactions: UK-Chulo

kevcat

Heisman
Feb 26, 2007
27,686
32,625
0
Well he didn’t smack anyone, or it would be in the news. Sounds like he hurt someone’s feelings. So yeah, let’s bash the hell out of ‘em, because someone on a message board said he was mean. We eat our own. Best fan base ever.
I’hope you don’t think I’m bashing him, because I’m not. I wasn’t there. Honestly, everyone is different. Personally, I have to deal with aholes everyday in sales. Needless to say, I have to jam a happy stick up my butt a lot. I can pretend to be someone’s best friend, even if I hate their guts. However, I didn’t think this way at age 18. So, I’m not bashing anyone who is young and dumb, because I was at that age.

I’m not really sure we have anything to be negative about. We’re completely locked and loaded for next season. It’s all good.
 
  • Like
Reactions: crpoore and Mike-D

bthaunert

Heisman
Apr 4, 2007
29,518
21,619
0
I am a huge memorabilia collector. It’s a huge hobby of my father and I. My father was an original grapher from the 50’s when no one did it. Joe Hall would give him game used jerseys back when they would throw them away. My son is already excited about it. Graphing is a huge hobby across the US, there’s nothing creepy about it at all. We travel to the hotels and hot spots and rack up, college and pros. It’s totally addictive and fun, you also meet a lot of players and most are really awesome to have conversations with.

People talking about this like the players hate it have no idea what they’re talking about. Most players love the attention.

Tony Delk has a book tour that came through a town close to me in Tennessee a few weeks ago. I had a game used Nba jersey of his I wanted to get signed. He sat down with us and signed all of our memorabilia we brought, discussed Cal and Pitino, why he wasn’t allowed to wear 00 in the NBA, and had a great time. There are so many great experiences that it brings.

Not to mention, when you know how to graph the right way ( not some stupid note card or picture) it is a high like no other. Nothing like spring training in baseball, get back to the room with 2 dozen black oml baseballs signed with silver sharpie signatures.

You have to understand the hobby and be a part of it to get it. If they saw our collections, they’d want it.

Plus, this **** is worth a lot. If you sold this stuff it would pay for every trip you take.
Players love some of the attention (the girls and the kids). When I ran the Palestra and UNC came to play Penn in 2007 as the #1 ranked team in the country, I met with the Director of Basketball Operations at UNC when they arrived to campus. There were already UNC fans outside to greet them when they got off the bus. They signed a few autographs and then went inside for the shoot around. The DBO at UNC then asked what it would be like after the game and if there was a way to get them to the bus without people everywhere asking for autographs. I remember him specifically talking about how the players loved signing for the kids and making their day but weren't big fans of signing autographs for adults.

I just think it's creepy the way adult fans fawn after college kids because they play at a certain school. I will never get it. I never have gotten it.
 

kevcat

Heisman
Feb 26, 2007
27,686
32,625
0
Pete let his signature get away from him. Over signing is a bad thing.
Pete’s a degenerative gambler. He’s not much different than Art Schlichter, except he’s got a lot more money.

I’ve seen Pete at Turfway Park lose close to $50,000 in a single night. That wasn’t even during live racing.
He was betting numerous tracks at once via simulcasting.
 
Last edited:

PikeCat15

All-Conference
Nov 3, 2016
722
2,555
91
Dude, you got on an internet message board to bash an 18 year old kid. Pot meet kettle.

I love your outrage this morning. Yes that was my sole intent to get them to bash PJ and I actually controlled all their minds to get them to write 4 pages worth. You got me, man. You figured it out. Everyone slow clap.
 

kevcat

Heisman
Feb 26, 2007
27,686
32,625
0
I love your outrage this morning. Yes that was my sole intent to get them to bash PJ and I actually controlled all their minds to get them to write 4 pages worth. You got me, man. You figured it out. Everyone slow clap.
You might as well quit responding. There’s a lot of people here that think the players can do no wrong, and nothing anyone does or says is ever going to change that. Hell, there’s a few idiots that are still taking up for Chapman.
 

morgousky

Heisman
Sep 5, 2009
23,959
43,171
0
Players love some of the attention (the girls and the kids). When I ran the Palestra and UNC came to play Penn in 2007 as the #1 ranked team in the country, I met with the Director of Basketball Operations at UNC when they arrived to campus. There were already UNC fans outside to greet them when they got off the bus. They signed a few autographs and then went inside for the shoot around. The DBO at UNC then asked what it would be like after the game and if there was a way to get them to the bus without people everywhere asking for autographs. I remember him specifically talking about how the players loved signing for the kids and making their day but weren't big fans of signing autographs for adults.

I just think it's creepy the way adult fans fawn after college kids because they play at a certain school. I will never get it. I never have gotten it and I think it's creepy.

It’s all about how you do it. Nothing pisses me off like an idiot adult walking up to an athlete with a box 10 flat basketballs. Obviously sellers who ruin it for everyone.

I know where to go and how to do it respectfully. I go to the road games and hotels where there aren’t many fans at all. We also usually get around the floor and locker rooms where it’s less people and easier to navigate.( I have family that are big ole miss alumns) we get incredible access.

Most people thing of graphing as a grown man chasing a 17 year old with a basketball and black sharpie. That’s not what we do. That’s not what serious graphers do. We hate those types.

Here’s an interesting story. When I was 12 in St. Louis my father and I made reservations to Mike Shannon’s restaurant in St. Louis. We took a few baseballs and two upper deck Michael Jordan and Harry Caray baseball cards from Jordan’s Birmingham minor league days.

Joe buck, Harry Caray, Ozzie Smith, and Mike Shannon were all sitting across from us. My dad approached them and they told us to sit down with them. Shannon’s restaurant did a radio show after the games. We ate with them and had a blast. Harry signed the cards of him and Jordan which Jordan had already signed. So out of that deal I got memories that very few have and two cards that today are worth around 2-3/4 thousand each. He signed two baseballs and inscribed. Joe buck signed and of course Ozzie. We walked out of there with around 7,000 dollars in high end memorabilia

People can think it’s stupid and creepy all they want. Would you care? I don’t.
 

bthaunert

Heisman
Apr 4, 2007
29,518
21,619
0
It’s all about how you do it. Nothing pisses me off like an idiot adult walking up to an athlete with a box 10 flat basketballs. Obviously sellers who ruin it for everyone.

I know where to go and how to do it respectfully. I go to the road games and hotels where there aren’t many fans at all. We also usually get around the floor and locker rooms where it’s less people and easier to navigate.( I have family that are big ole miss alumns) we get incredible access.

Most people thing of graphing as a grown man chasing a 17 year old with a basketball and black sharpie. That’s not what we do. That’s not what serious graphers do. We hate those types.

Here’s an interesting story. When I was 12 in St. Louis my father and I made reservations to Mike Shannon’s restaurant in St. Louis. We took a few baseballs and two upper deck Michael Jordan and Harry Caray baseball cards from Jordan’s Birmingham minor league days.

Joe buck, Harry Caray, Ozzie Smith, and Mike Shannon were all sitting across from us. My dad approached them and they told us to sit down with them. Shannon’s restaurant did a radio show after the games. We ate with them and had a blast. Harry signed the cards of him and Jordan which Jordan had already signed. So out of that deal I got memories that very few have and two cards that today are worth around 2-3/4 thousand each. He signed two baseballs and inscribed. Joe buck signed and of course Ozzie. We walked out of there with around 7,000 dollars in high end memorabilia

People can think it’s stupid and creepy all they want. Would you care? I don’t.
My point is, I think you're in the minority and the grown man chasing a 17 year old boy is in the majority.
 

PikeCat15

All-Conference
Nov 3, 2016
722
2,555
91
You might as well quit responding. There’s a lot of people here that think the players can do no wrong, and nothing anyone does or says is ever going to change that. Hell, there’s a few idiots that are still taking up for Chapman.


You are absolutely correct. I was really hoping this thread would die yesterday but it has turned into a monster. I’ve been called a liar several times, which is fine. My wife and children have been called ugly, which is fine. And people are at eachother’s throats. Lol.

That is the problem with America today. You can’t report an observation with no malicious intent without everyone with an opinion chiming in behind a computer screen crying LIAR! PANSY! ATTACK THEIR FAMILY! GET A LIFE!

I’m cool with all that. It’s a message board. Listening to some of these people you would have thought my original post said: PJ is a horrible person morally. We should kick him off the team. I am writing a letter to the AD. I demand an explanation. Haha.

Bottom line. Period. By all means dude was having a bad day and I was over it shortly after my post. I’m on to wondering and dreaming about how him and Travis are gonna murder teams next season.

People wanna down other people to make themselves feel better. Carry on some of you. That’s a horrible life to live. Go frigging Cats. Beat Duke.
 

morgousky

Heisman
Sep 5, 2009
23,959
43,171
0
My point is, I think you're in the minority and the grown man chasing a 17 year old boy is in the majority.

Probably so. And when I see those morons I always say something. It just pisses me off when people lump the entire industry together into black sharpie chasers. I put a lot of time, resources, and energy into graphing. And I do it as respectfully as possible.

Usually people who don’t understand it feel weird walking up to people asking for it. Especially younger athletes. But I’ll tell you what will get you passed it.

When you look back at all of your awesome **** 10 years later and see those AD autos that you worked hard to get while he was 18, and they’re now worth more than your car.

You couldn’t care less about the awkward feeling you had a decade ago.

But to each their own. I’m glad most people don’t get it. Makes it way easier on me.
 

Mike-D

Heisman
Jul 14, 2001
50,464
75,674
113
I love your outrage this morning. Yes that was my sole intent to get them to bash PJ and I actually controlled all their minds to get them to write 4 pages worth. You got me, man. You figured it out. Everyone slow clap.

I figured so. I’m glad you were able to come to your senses and tell everyone you’re just a weirdo.
 
  • Like
Reactions: PikeCat15

morgousky

Heisman
Sep 5, 2009
23,959
43,171
0
You are absolutely correct. I was really hoping this thread would die yesterday but it has turned into a monster. I’ve been called a liar several times, which is fine. My wife and children have been called ugly, which is fine. And people are at eachother’s throats. Lol.

That is the problem with America today. You can’t report an observation with no malicious intent without everyone with an opinion chiming in behind a computer screen crying LIAR! PANSY! ATTACK THEIR FAMILY! GET A LIFE!

I’m cool with all that. It’s a message board. Listening to some of these people you would have thought my original post said: PJ is a horrible person morally. We should kick him off the team. I am writing a letter to the AD. I demand an explanation. Haha.

Bottom line. Period. By all means dude was having a bad day and I was over it shortly after my post. I’m on to wondering and dreaming about how him and Travis are gonna murder teams next season.

People wanna down other people to make themselves feel better. Carry on some of you. That’s a horrible life to live. Go frigging Cats. Beat Duke.

I made a post about how awful billy Gillispie was at the Oxford Inn back in 2008ish. Also explained how he stayed in his room and liquor bottles were everywhere. It’s when I wanted him gone, and this board crucified me.

I’ve never forgotten it.

Until it’s out in the open they will attack you. When they finally learn from personal experience, they go quiet.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ManitouDan
KSR

Latest

  1. 01 KSR Football Will Stein and Shane Beamer's Relationship Comes Full Circle on Saturday
  2. 02 KSR Football Will Stein Shares Kenny Minchey 4-Game Progress Report
  3. 03 KSR Basketball Improved decision-making is helping Alex Wilkins reach his high ceiling
  4. 04 KSR One of Will Wade's LSU players (who was also a former Kentucky target) is heading back overseas
  5. 05 KSR Cats in the NFL BBNFL Week 3: Wan'Dale Robinson and Chris Rodriguez find the end zone