Maybe Washington had a bad day. I’m sure his wrist is killing him and now after signing all day I’m sure his other wrist is sore.
Maybe his dog is sick. Maybe his Mom is nagging him about something. Maybe he’s having girlfriend issues. Who knows? We need to stop instantly judging people on short experiences. This is how people feel crapped on and bullied. I know it’s not hard to say “You’re welcome.” and “Thank You.” but if he’s feeling like crap or again having personal issues, it can be a lot harder.
As a introvert myself I have to really force myself to interact with people in a large setting. I used to work sales for while and let me tell you, I went home drained every day. It’s really hard to put yourself out there for the public and not feel exposed or vulnerable. Yes. Good for growth, but it’s exhausting. Maybe that’s his nature. Maybe he’s an introvert off the court and what he shows us on court is his job face.
Point being, we should cut him some slack. Crap happens.
Good post.
I saw pictures of some of those toothy, creepily grinning adult fans. I'd have a hard time too hearing about how their 12 year old kid is a starter for some dumb Pee-Wee league roster and how he hopes to make the UK team someday under Cal.
Then, can you imagine, all the knuckleheads who think they're being clever by reminding guys like Washington to "beat Duke in November" while Washington and his teammates are doing something normal like standing in line at the theater, ordering popcorn?
It must be exhausting. It's like being a celebrity to fans who only know how to say one of about a dozen of the same things:
"Beat Duke in November!"
"So glad you came back!"
"I've been a UK fan for 50 years!"
"My kid wants to play for UK. He's pretty good, too."
"Number 9, PJ! Go get number 9!"
"You ready for Louisville this year?"
And about five or six other lame quotes that likely encompass the overwhelming majority of these player/fan interactions.
Last edited: