Heck

Lionhawk85

Senior
Jun 8, 2022
199
461
63
My hunch is if Brown’s “injury” limits his preparation and practice this week - especially on a short week - they’ll go with Heck.

I put injury in quotes because I am genuinely not sure if it’s an injury or simply was hurt.

I was at the game and was excited when they put in Heck as I assumed it was to see if there could be a spark - which is not typical of KF. Much to my dismay, I only found out after the game it was due to Brown being dinged/hurt/injured. I don’t know which QB is ultimately better, but the offense was sucking bigtime and Brown played a really poor game imo so giving Heck a chance felt like a great change of pace/decision. Little did I know it wasn’t really a decision at all.
 

eyesofhawk

All-Conference
Apr 17, 2011
3,497
3,372
113
Heck would likely have had a similar stat line to Hank Brown had he started against Ohio State.

With that said, the offense is still not efficient or good with Hank Brown after 5 games. If you’re Tim Lester and you believe Heck can provide a spark this offense so desperately needs, then I don’t see any reason not to give Heck a real opportunity. I, personally, don’t think it will matter, but there are those rare times when some kids are just gamers and can elevate the play of everyone else around them. If Heck is that type of player, give him a shot, I guess. It’s not like you have much to lose at this point in terms of quarterback productivity.
This team doesn't "so desperately" need anything
 

eyesofhawk

All-Conference
Apr 17, 2011
3,497
3,372
113
Heck has a better arm, better confidence and is a lights on gamer. I would give Heck a real shot. Brown should have a short rope at the least.
Again, I like Heck.

But the stronger arm absolutely belongs to Hank.

And how was his confidence the last drive vs Michigan?

Also too early to label Heck a "lights on gamer", although I get that feeling as well
 

DukeSlater

All-Conference
Jul 2, 2023
2,209
4,980
113
So do we give him a shot against Washington?
Why the hell not? Brown is a mediocre game manager who turned it over TWICE yesterday, sins that have always gotten other players benched, nobodies like Akrum Wadley, for example. But Brown is KF's guy despite what everyone saw on kids' day. KF said the QB competition was "even," then he gives Brown EVERY start. What the hell is "even" about that?
 

DukeSlater

All-Conference
Jul 2, 2023
2,209
4,980
113
Thought I heard on the radio call that a few back ups had come in. But doesn't change that OSU seemed to shift to a zone scheme making it easier to get open.
Getting open was never the problem. Iowa had receivers running WIDE OPEN the entire first half, and Brown consistently missed them . . . by a mile! OMG. What's wrong with people's eyes?
 

DukeSlater

All-Conference
Jul 2, 2023
2,209
4,980
113
Heck was making crisper passes vs what Hank was doing today but osu was letting Iowa complete the underneath passes when Heck was in. While osu had starters in they were playing to prevent the deep pass. I'm fine with Heck getting a chance but I doubt he will get the start unless Hanks injury prohibits him from playing. Which is a possibility playing on 1 less day.
"Letting them." That freakin' hilarious. OSU was apparently "letting" Iowa complete deep passes too in the first half, except Brown refused to cooperate by missing wide open receivers by yards. Making it up as you go along, eh? KF loves that.
 

DukeSlater

All-Conference
Jul 2, 2023
2,209
4,980
113
Ive said all year that Heck is the better QB against good defensive teams, because he can complete the risky throws. But Hank is the better game manager and less prone to the INT.
"Less prone to the INT"? What the hell are you watching? Brown should have had at least three passes intercepted at Michigan. He fumbled TWICE against ISU but was lucky enough to recover both. He wasn't so lucky yesterday when he fumbled after holding the ball for about six weeks. Brown is a game manager at best. He's another Cade McNamara. Surround him with great players like at Michigan, and he'll do fine. But at Iowa . . . no thank you.
 

DukeSlater

All-Conference
Jul 2, 2023
2,209
4,980
113
I’ve seen plenty of turnover worthy plays out of Hank Brown. He was lucky to recover his own fumble against Iowa State and also would had thrown a pick 6 if not for a tipped pass. Should have had 2 turnovers today, but Evan James bailed him out.
Actually, Brown fumbled twice against ISU--the QB sneak and the run up the middle. Luckily, he recovered both, unlike yesterday.
 

DukeSlater

All-Conference
Jul 2, 2023
2,209
4,980
113
It doesn’t matter who’s the starting quarterback if they can’t figure out how to run the damn ball.
It actually does matter because passing counts too--but only if you complete the passes. Iowa's receivers were running wide open the entire first half, and Brown consistently missed them. Connect on those wide open throws, and it's a whole different ball game.
 
  • Like
Reactions: oldxbbc

DukeSlater

All-Conference
Jul 2, 2023
2,209
4,980
113
Sayin plays defense?

Whether they had 2's in or not, OSU was not pressing on any short passes. Anything up to 10 yards were gimmes. Heck did make some crisp passes and had a quick release, but not sure how he would have done in quarters 1-3. vs. an aggressive D. Iowa had their starters in the game at the end of the 1st half, and went to a somewhat prevent defense. It made it easy for OSU to move the ball, just in the same way Heck got some easy looks in the 4th quarter.
Nice excuses. Facts are different, and the facts are that Brown repeatedly missed WIDE OPEN receivers, threw wobbly passes, and held the ball too long. Hecklinski made quick decisions, put the ball on a dime, and threw an NFL-quality pass on that 2-point conversion. The ball was in the air before the receiver made his break. When he did, the ball was there waiting for him. Sorry about the facts. They have a way of getting in the way of excuses.
 
  • Like
Reactions: MacMiney

DukeSlater

All-Conference
Jul 2, 2023
2,209
4,980
113
OSU played man most game and it shut down our pass game. Hank went full desperation retard on the pass attempt, OSU simply took advantage. Man or Zone absolutely matters, and it proved it on the drive with Heck.

The point is a single drive of Heck when the game was well out of reach and basically a scrimmage isn't an immediate cause to change QBs. Both Hank and Heck are bottom 5 QBs in the B1G, take your pick, both will disappoint you.
Whoa, there. What shut down Iowa's pass game under Brown was Brown missing WIDE OPEN receivers. Brown was awful. His timing was terrible, his throws were wobbly, and he was sacked because his decision-making was slow and poor. Any other questions? LOL
 

Trakker

All-Conference
Jan 1, 2023
944
2,542
93
Even at 50, I think Iowa would do just fine with Manning . . . but Iowa would also do great with Hecklinski.
Wow, 13 post in a row on this thread. Gotta be some sort of record.

Time to focus on getting your fantasy football line up set for the day.

Be curious to see how the week plays out and what happens Friday night. Not gonna let it ruin my Sunday or week, however.
 
  • Love
Reactions: doughuddl2_rivals

pocha444444

Senior
May 16, 2007
248
561
93
I spelled it out, so if you can't figure it out, then that's on you. Heck's single drive in a game that was already over means very little. Like always, we have a QB problem. And that won't change until Kirk is gone and a revamp is made on offense.
If your original point was "we shouldn't make a QB change based off of one drive" then that's fine, I can get behind that. However, your original post I responded to was about OSU playing backups (not true) and them "going to zone" (not really relevant as they had played mostly zone the entire game with man on 3rd downs). I get not making a rash decision based on one drive, but you seemed like you were trying to discount Heck's one drive with information that was not true and/or misleading.
 

2D

All-American
Oct 8, 2013
3,347
6,919
113
If your original point was "we shouldn't make a QB change based off of one drive" then that's fine, I can get behind that. However, your original post I responded to was about OSU playing backups (not true) and them "going to zone" (not really relevant as they had played mostly zone the entire game with man on 3rd downs). I get not making a rash decision based on one drive, but you seemed like you were trying to discount Heck's one drive with information that was not true and/or misleading.
Incorrect, twos for OSU were playing, identified and confirmed by Hawkeye Gamefilm on twitter. A single bad game against OSU and single drive from Heck will not be enough to sway Kirk. Just accept it and move on.
 

pocha444444

Senior
May 16, 2007
248
561
93
Incorrect, twos for OSU were playing, identified and confirmed by Hawkeye Gamefilm on twitter. A single bad game against OSU and single drive from Heck will not be enough to sway Kirk. Just accept it and move on.
I'm not talking about a QB change, just setting the record straight and you seem unwilling to simply go back and look to confirm the starters were still in. I'm sorry your Twitter source clearly got it wrong. Perhaps you should check other sources or your own eyes going forward.
 

2D

All-American
Oct 8, 2013
3,347
6,919
113
I'm not talking about a QB change, just setting the record straight and you seem unwilling to simply go back and look to confirm the starters were still in. I'm sorry your Twitter source clearly got it wrong. Perhaps you should check other sources or your own eyes going forward.
Rough look for you buddy, I get it. Just take the L and move on. We're all talking about the Quarterback, if you want to talk about another topic, make another thread. Hope that advice helps for your future discussions.
 
  • Haha
Reactions: pocha444444

pocha444444

Senior
May 16, 2007
248
561
93
Rough look for you buddy, I get it. Just take the L and move on. We're all talking about the Quarterback, if you want to talk about another topic, make another thread. Hope that advice helps for your future discussions.
Lol...sure make an incoherent post to try and back your way out of being called out for being incorrect. Whatever you gotta do I guess...
 
  • Haha
Reactions: 2D

83Hawk

All-Conference
Jan 1, 2023
1,730
3,890
113
Brown had a horrible game yesterday. Heck looked great one his one drive late in the game against backups. How would he look in a full game?

I don’t think we’ll see Heck as starter unless Brown is hurt or he has multiple bad games. I hope he rebounds against Washington. I also hope our offensive linemen start blocking better and we see improvement in the running attack.
 

TRHawkeye28

Sophomore
Jan 1, 2023
94
186
33
Getting open was never the problem. Iowa had receivers running WIDE OPEN the entire first half, and Brown consistently missed them . . . by a mile! OMG. What's wrong with people's eyes?
This

I can remember at least 5 off the top of my head. Those are killers that could have kept the drive going

And there were I think 2 guys that weren't normal starters on the TD drive of Heck. It wasn't the entire 2nd string. I would like to see what Heck could do in a full game scenario
 

uihawk82

All-Conference
Nov 17, 2021
2,997
4,435
113
So do we give him a shot against Washington?
If Hank is good to go he will probably start but I would like to see Heck get some series in the first half even. Heck might get more snaps during this short week of practice because not sure about Hank's injury.

Heck said he was jittery against ISU and he looked it.
 
  • Like
Reactions: DuddyB

uihawk82

All-Conference
Nov 17, 2021
2,997
4,435
113
So do we give him a shot against Washington?
There is not near the pressure coming in during the 4th qtr when you are down by 18 points. He looked less tight, less quickly to start moving around and out of the pocket than vs ISU. Threw the ball well
 

uihawk82

All-Conference
Nov 17, 2021
2,997
4,435
113
Heck would likely have had a similar stat line to Hank Brown had he started against Ohio State.

With that said, the offense is still not efficient or good with Hank Brown after 5 games. If you’re Tim Lester and you believe Heck can provide a spark this offense so desperately needs, then I don’t see any reason not to give Heck a real opportunity. I, personally, don’t think it will matter, but there are those rare times when some kids are just gamers and can elevate the play of everyone else around them. If Heck is that type of player, give him a shot, I guess. It’s not like you have much to lose at this point in terms of quarterback productivity.
Heck or Hank arent the problem with our running game, which is the problem. Not even close to 100 yards rushing yesterday, not even avg against ISU or Mich either.

I just posted about trying some jumbo OLine formations and see if that works and you can still throw out of those formations because you have plenty of receivers. The run game looks like 2021-23.

Now if the Iowa qb starts off 9 for 11 passing then the box might get lighter to run a bit better
 

uihawk82

All-Conference
Nov 17, 2021
2,997
4,435
113
im really not sure what this has to do with accurately throwing the ball at open receivers
Well maybe if OSU was playing pass defense like in the first half when the game was close then the hawk receivers would NOT be "OPEN". OSU had a 25 pt lead when HEck came in iirc. we all know what a prevent defense means. zone, umbrella coverage, tackle them before the sticks if possible,
 

uihawk82

All-Conference
Nov 17, 2021
2,997
4,435
113
Heck has a better arm, better confidence and is a lights on gamer. I would give Heck a real shot. Brown should have a short rope at the least.
I agree on the short rope because you dont want your QB struggling on the road and losing this next game, any game, when you might get a spark off the bench.

I think Hank was a little off because of the early fumble, playing a really good pass rush, not running the ball well and being in great 2nd and 3rd down situations. And then getting two scores behind right at the end of the first help adds more pressure as you have to get back to being behind by 8 pts or less
 

uihawk82

All-Conference
Nov 17, 2021
2,997
4,435
113
Why the hell not? Brown is a mediocre game manager who turned it over TWICE yesterday, sins that have always gotten other players benched, nobodies like Akrum Wadley, for example. But Brown is KF's guy despite what everyone saw on kids' day. KF said the QB competition was "even," then he gives Brown EVERY start. What the hell is "even" about that?
Haha, Kirk stayed with Jake the Snake, bad snake, and Pick 6 Ricky Stanzi in 2009 so dont say he pulls everyone who makes a turnover, QB is a different type of position
 

RomanHawk

All-Conference
Aug 26, 2017
1,267
2,796
113
Why the hell not? Brown is a mediocre game manager who turned it over TWICE yesterday, sins that have always gotten other players benched, nobodies like Akrum Wadley, for example. But Brown is KF's guy despite what everyone saw on kids' day. KF said the QB competition was "even," then he gives Brown EVERY start. What the hell is "even" about that?
I said when fall practice started that I not only had no confidence in KF picking the best guy, but I didn't even have confidence in his ability to create a fair competition. And sure enough; in three games Heck got far fewer minutes and no starts.
 
Hawkeye Report

Latest

  1. 01 High School Football Iowa RB commit Keyon Thomas runs wild in Warren Central (Ind.) win
  2. 02 Hawkeye Report Olympics Iowa Soccer earns a much-needed 1-0 win over Rutgers
  3. 03 College Football Playoff College Football Bowl Projections Week 6: Full list of matchups, playoff predictions
  4. 04 Hawkeye Report Olympics Iowa adds Fargo champ Ryleigh Sturgill to 2027 recruiting class
  5. 05 Hawkeye Report Basketball Recruiting 2027 four-star center Khalia Hartwell talks decision to commit to Iowa