Hanks health

Kceasthawk@77

All-American
Feb 2, 2005
4,200
7,346
113
I know that ohio st was playing soft coverage when#10 came in but the decision making was better than anything we've seen from #9 all season
Hanks played fine until today. I guess it took one week to forget some of the throws he made at Michigan. Like you said OSU played soft coverage on Hecks drive. Yet of course we're going to throw the baby out with the bath water. Typical.....
 
Last edited:

Stoopsbrother

Senior
Dec 15, 2022
332
551
93
Hanks played fine until today. I guess it took one week to forget some of the throws he made at Michigan. Like you said OSU played soft coverage on his drive. Yet of course we're going to throw the baby out with the bath water. Typical.....
Except he hasn't! He put the ball in danger 3 times on the final drive against Michigan 2 of them should have been picked off & not to mention us getting bailed out by the penalty after doing nothing previously!

he made 1 throw against Ia st. that allowed him to keep playing!

Not to mention he's missed diaz wide open at least 3 or 4 times for TD's
 
Last edited:

DuddyB

All-Conference
Jul 14, 2022
2,011
3,545
113
I know that ohio st was playing soft coverage when#10 came in but the decision making was better than anything we've seen from #9 all season
This was the first game he outplayed Hank. That is a fact.

Hank earned the starting position and I wouldn’t be against seeing heck if Brown struggles the first two or three drives but we know that’s not happening so not really worth debating
 

DaytonaHawk

Sophomore
Jul 28, 2025
84
196
33
“Hanks played fine until today. I guess it took one week to forget some of the throws he made at Michigan.”

I was wearing the Hawkeye glasses all week. But let’s be serious, Hank almost had like 3 interceptions last week. Hank is safe for the 2 yard check down. Heck is looking down field. I would rather loose throwing the dice.

In the end, I love the Hawks, Kirk and hope #4 tears his ACL in his next Heisman pose. ( I personally have torn 3).
 
  • Like
Reactions: Stoopsbrother

Stoopsbrother

Senior
Dec 15, 2022
332
551
93
This was the first game he outplayed Hank. That is a fact.

Hank earned the starting position and I wouldn’t be against seeing heck if Brown struggles the first two or three drives but we know that’s not happening so not really worth debating
Not really a fair deal when #10 gets to come into the game to "compete" for the starting job with 2nd string O line & 2nd and 3rd string WR's is it?

If #10 was good enough last year to earn the back up spot I've seen nothing from #9 that makes me feel good.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Jamie_Taco

Lionhawk85

Senior
Jun 8, 2022
199
458
63
Hank has looked great when we have played far inferior opponents and our running game looked phenomenal. He’s looked mediocre (game manager) when our running game isn’t gashing the defense. Technically only one int but he’s had multiple fumbles (yes, only one lost) and multiple throws that should have been picked. Again, I’m not sure which QB is ultimately better, but we may have anointed Hank too soon. Granted, at some point we Absolutley had to get on with picking QB1. But hindsight, Heck always seemed to get the short end of the game circumstance (WR drops, lesser running game, no starts, etc). I still shake my head at the horrible Int he threw against northern Illinois in the end zone, but he definitely does have a more “just let it rip” mentality. I suspect we’d have a good number of “WTF” moments with either QB this year.

regardless…. Here we are again (for now). The offense has looked poor against all decent competition so far…yay…
 
  • Like
Reactions: Bierhalter

Heathen Raider

All-Conference
Nov 18, 2017
657
1,711
93
People gloss over the fact Brown was not good against ISU or Michigan, the last drive He threw 2 balls that should have been picked but the Karma Gods had it in for Michigan , Go back and watch the game tapes, He has gotten away with near half dozen throws that should have been picked off and He dynamically in every game except UNI has not looked like a D1 quality starter . For Iowa to win games with the type QB Brown is it needs a really good OL and running game and this Teams OL is just not as good as in years past in the running game, This is a team that is going to have to throw the ball to win against good defenses , In no game so far has Brown made the quality of throws Heck did in the drive against OSU and You can say they had a few 2s in and were playing soft but You still have to see the man and with conviction stick that ball in there and Heck did that . Heck is faster seeing the field and has 1 thing Brown does not have , lack of fear of making any throw on the field and the confidence He can make the throw . What this means is Kirk will continue to put Brown out there and tell all of us that's football
 

DukeSlater

All-Conference
Jul 2, 2023
2,209
4,970
113
Hanks played fine until today. I guess it took one week to forget some of the throws he made at Michigan. Like you said OSU played soft coverage on Hecks drive. Yet of course we're going to throw the baby out with the bath water. Typical.....
"Hank played fine until today." Did he? He was lucky as hell on most of those plays vs. Michigan--tipped balls, guy coming in from out of bounds to catch it. He made a perfect pass on that game-winning play. No doubt about that. One memorable play for sure. But he was totally exposed vs. OSU. Poor decision-making, missing WIDE OPEN receivers all over the field in the first half. Holding the ball for an eternity, then coughing it up to set up OSU's first TD. Throwing the INT. Getting sacked, mostly because he continued to hold the ball instead of getting rid of it.

If the QB's were "even," as we were told all along, then it's Hecklinski's turn. And KF can use an injury to Brown to save face. Hecklinski deserves a chance to start. Let's see if he's the guy or not. Right now all we have is KF's word--the word of a guy who has been wrong about QBs his entire damn career.
 

DukeSlater

All-Conference
Jul 2, 2023
2,209
4,970
113
Was Drew Tate like fingernails on a chalk board for KF? If so, why did he go along with him as QB? KOK?
KF hated every snap that Banks, Tate, Stanzi, and Beathard took. But he was fine with Christensen, Rudock, Petras and, OMG, Hill. About 99 percent of coaches would have held open tryouts before they let Hill anywhere near a Big Ten QB job, but not KF. The evidence is everywhere. KF is an offensive line coach who named his unqualified son not only OC but also QB coach! OMG! What else do you need to know? The man may be a lot of things, but a master of QBs he is not.
 

Hawkit

Redshirt
Oct 12, 2025
16
32
13
Hanks played fine until today. I guess it took one week to forget some of the throws he made at Michigan. Like you said OSU played soft coverage on Hecks drive. Yet of course we're going to throw the baby out with the bath water. Typical.....
As I mentioned last week, there were 2-3 should have been interceptions in that drive. We got the bounces. What happens when the sun is not warming our behind? I saw the offense look crisp when Heck was in. I’d like to see more of that.
 

Kceasthawk@77

All-American
Feb 2, 2005
4,200
7,346
113
KF hated every snap that Banks, Tate, Stanzi, and Beathard took. But he was fine with Christensen, Rudock, Petras and, OMG, Hill. About 99 percent of coaches would have held open tryouts before they let Hill anywhere near a Big Ten QB job, but not KF. The evidence is everywhere. KF is an offensive line coach who named his unqualified son not only OC but also QB coach! OMG! What else do you need to know? The man may be a lot of things, but a master of QBs he is not.
Your first two sentences prove you don't have a realistic bone in your body. Banks came here as a JC transfer who had played very little QB, none at D1. He was a WR when he got to college. He played some and then ALL of the 2002 year. Tate played some as a freshman and that had a great career. I can assure you (if you'd take the blinders off and stop bringing up nonsense from decades ago) If Kirk "hated" Tate playing, he wouldn't have been playing. Stanzi was as erratic as Hell when he first got his shot, and it wasn't all that big a difference from Christenson initially. Ruddock wasn't all that bad, (left here and started the next season at Michigan and was in the NFL several years. (he must have been trash though).
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: MacMiney

Kceasthawk@77

All-American
Feb 2, 2005
4,200
7,346
113
As I mentioned last week, there were 2-3 should have been interceptions in that drive. We got the bounces. What happens when the sun is not warming our behind? I saw the offense look crisp when Heck was in. I’d like to see more of that.
We will probably get that chance. I think people forget that Heck threw a few of the same type of risky bad passes against NI when he did play, which might have led to his not being QB1. I think it was critical that by game three Kirk decided on one guy, and Brown played well the first three games overall, and appeared to be rising. Not sure why we should have pulled him out. We might be starting over now. I guess we;ll see if that's a good thing or not.
 
  • Like
Reactions: MacMiney

Kceasthawk@77

All-American
Feb 2, 2005
4,200
7,346
113
To answer your question, we're hearing nothing. I would guess he has a shoulder the way he ran off the field into the locker room.

We'll find out Tuesday I suspect. The list is going to be long.
They said something about collarbone. Still if you noticed he came back out of the locker room, (They said Lutmer was still in the tent), and he was on the sideline in full uniform WITH his helmet on, as if he was ready to go back in. I would think if they were concerned they would not have left him come back out with his helmet.
 
Hawkeye Report

Latest

  1. 01 Hawkeye Report Football Iowa Hawkeyes 2026 Freshmen Report
  2. 02 On3 Football College Football Rankings: AP Poll Top 25 after Week 5 released
  3. 03 Hawkeye Report Football Iowa's Updated NCAA Stats & Rankings
  4. 04 Hawkeye Report Football PFF Grades: Iowa defense vs #5 Ohio State
  5. 05 Hawkeye Report Football PFF Grades: Iowa offense vs #5 Ohio State