Does Missouri belong in the SEC ?

ManitouDan_anon

Heisman
Dec 7, 2006
20,073
32,434
0
I dont think so , cant compete in anything . No real rival . Need to ship them out . who would be a good replacement ?
 

dbarr03

Redshirt
Apr 6, 2009
12
9
0
Their best player being hurt isn't helping but they should be better. They look out of control.
 
A

anon_q409idbs5m40a

Guest
I dont think so , cant compete in anything . No real rival . Need to ship them out . who would be a good replacement ?
In the old days both Georgia Tech and Tulane were in the SEC. Probably made more sense geographically at the time but neither would really bring much to the table today.
 

Runt#1969

All-American
Dec 13, 2010
21,471
9,296
113
It must really chap their collective asses when the KU fans told them when they left the Big12, "goodbye, good riddance, and welcome to becoming Kentucky's new ***** now...."

boy, they sure were right about that....
 

ZakkW

All-Conference
May 22, 2002
4,678
4,918
113
Hell no. And they sure as hell shouldn't be in the SEC East but Bama and UT have to play in football every season so they got stuck in there.
 

TriCountyCAT

All-American
Dec 5, 2010
4,366
6,320
43
Love to send them back to the big 12 and would be glad to take WVU. Better football and basketball team and it makes no sense for them to play in the big 12. Who do we need to call?
 

26MichaelUK

All-American
Feb 14, 2013
36,689
5,377
93
Always thought Clemson and Florida state shoulda been in the SEC.

But no, Missouri is just not a natural fit. But the SEC had to get that television market for money.
 

DelkBowl

Heisman
Oct 4, 2015
10,832
11,922
101
The SEC seems to want foot print and not quality first. They are fine though.
 

EliteBlue

Heisman
Mar 27, 2009
16,751
20,269
0
NC State.

Florida State.
Add VaTech to that too.

Blacksburg has SEC town written all over it.

VT and NC State were the 2 best fits. Good at the important sports, new market entry. FSU was never leaving the ACC and we already have the Florida Market...and UF would have voted to block their entry bc I think I read there is a deal among active members to not accept any other instate rivals that weren’t already here. So GT, Clemson, Louisville, FSU, Miami, etc were no goes
 

lennyd250cat

Sophomore
Apr 23, 2007
1,336
134
0
Now that’s funny!! SEC East champs the first two years in our league. Had Us beat with 5 minutes to go this year. Took a fluke play and a bad call. Yeah, they belong. Have we ever won an SEC East title?
 

deplion_rivals116063

All-American
May 21, 2002
26,689
8,595
0
Add VaTech to that too.

Blacksburg has SEC town written all over it.

VT and NC State were the 2 best fits. Good at the important sports, new market entry. FSU was never leaving the ACC and we already have the Florida Market...and UF would have voted to block their entry bc I think I read there is a deal among active members to not accept any other instate rivals that weren’t already here. So GT, Clemson, Louisville, FSU, Miami, etc were no goes
I'd be good with Va Tech and NC State.
 

59DAWG

Sophomore
Aug 4, 2002
138
156
0
No, Missouri really doesn't belong in the SEC. However, they were the best of bad choices. NC State and Virginia Tech wouldn't add much, especially the Wolfpack. I don't see any ACC team heading our way. Why would you want West Virginia? Total trash. They wouldn't add anything. Besides they told us good-bye in 1863. I don't like Missouri in the SEC (even though their football fans have always been super-nice), but they were the best available choice. And I really hate that they are in the East. Give us the Auburn War Tiger Eagles in the East, move Mizzou to the West and go to a 9 game SEC football schedule with 2 permanent rivals.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ABlockalypseBrow

Kai Slater

All-American
Jan 30, 2015
1,762
5,710
0
I've always thought it strange that Missouri would be a part of the SEC, particularly when thinking of the conference geography. But, I guess a lot more goes into it than mere geographic placement. Kentucky isn't exactly in the south-east either. Who really knows?

Isn't West Va. in the Big 12 or whatever? That makes no sense either.
 

OldRed

All-Conference
Jun 7, 2001
18,040
4,687
113
But you can't get NC State or Virginia Tech. The ACC buyout is ridiculous.
 

TopCatCal

Heisman
Dec 10, 2012
5,483
21,435
0
But you can't get NC State or Virginia Tech. The ACC buyout is ridiculous.
If the ACC is such a wonderful conference, then like you say. Why do they need such a ridiculous buyout? That buyout of theirs reminds me of the Berlin Wall. The SEC doesn't need a buyout for it's teams.
 

mhroe1984

Heisman
Dec 16, 2007
14,060
10,627
0
Funny because I was talking about this with my brother before the game last night. I was telling him that I always hate when we play Mizzou in football and basketball because it just feels like they don't belong in the SEC.
 

KentuckyFlyer

All-Conference
Jan 25, 2007
3,623
1,513
113
No they don't, I hated it when they added them. I know its not popular around here but I think U6 was a better fit and wanted them in the SEC rather than the ACC
 

Saguaro Cat

All-American
Apr 27, 2008
17,136
7,892
113
Let's add Clemson, Ohio State, Michigan, Oklahoma, and Washington. Let's add all the good football teams and try to kill our program.
 

Myotis

Senior
Jan 1, 2003
7,624
951
0
No they don't, I hated it when they added them. I know its not popular around here but I think U6 was a better fit and wanted them in the SEC rather than the ACC
I'd have rather have had Louisville than Missouri. But if it's true what EliteBlue said, then that was a non-starter.

All the same, I don't understand the no-new-instate-rivals position. UK already plays UL every year, UGA already plays GT, and Florida already plays FSU. (but not Miami every year). Moving any of those three teams into the SEC would have freed up a schedule slot for UK, UGA or Florida. In every case it could have been filled with a cupcake to pad the schedule, and minimizing losses is a key factor in bowl selection.
 
Last edited:

CatsPaws270

Heisman
Dec 7, 2015
25,344
66,208
113
They'll belong when they start winning. Playing at a high level creates rivalries. IF they were consistently ranked and pushing us for SEC tourney seeding....they'd belong. Florida wasn't even thought of as a basketball rival...they started winning and that changed completely.
 
Jan 3, 2003
145,534
15,709
0
There are several considerations:
- TV market
- geography
- natural rival(s)
- competitiveness in football
- competitiveness in basketball
- academics
- competitiveness in all other sports

There is no perfect fit additions. But I agree that Missouri seemed to fail to fit many of these. I think better options include:
WV, UL, Texas, Clemson, FSU, NC St, UNC, UVA, Va Tech, Okl, Okl St, Ga Tech

UNC isn't going anywhere without Duke
NC St thinks they belong w/ UNC, and probably wouldn't leave them.
Clemson has had so much success recently, why change.
Texas has their own TV deal, why change.
UL would be the only "city-school"
8 of those have the ACC basketball deal, which might be hard to give up
WV might be the easiest to pick off from another conference.

Other (very) long shots could be Memphis, Marshall, Central Florida, Texas Tech, WKU.
 

katwest

Heisman
Feb 16, 2003
40,065
14,172
113
If I'm not mistaken a long time ago an invitation was extended to Miami and Florida State but the football powers declined it. I remember Bobby Bowden said if you are going to pick on a general you don't start with Custer and that they weren't ready for the move. I'm not completely sure if the offer was made but I think it was because I heard him say that in an interview. As for Missouri I guess they thought it would open up St Louis for SEC recruiting advantages. They haven't done much outside the first couple of years in football and then it was a few years before they played the western conference powerhouses and the east was down those couple of years. In basketball they haven't done much either.
 
KSR

Latest

  1. 01 KSR Football 4 Things You Need to Know from the Will Stein Show
  2. 02 KSR Football Kentucky vs. South Carolina Availability Report: UK May Miss DJ Miller
  3. 03 KSR Volleyball Morgan Gaerte listed as 'day-to-day' ahead of important stretch for Kentucky VB
  4. 04 KSR Basketball Trent Noah excited to put hamstring issues behind him and 'finally break through as a team'
  5. 05 KSR Podcasts 11 Personnel: No Huddle! with Cole Cubelic