Best analyst: Aikman or Romo

jdbulldog

Junior
Oct 27, 2007
2,594
368
83
I like Romo more because he is raw and exciting. Aikman is more polished and predictable.....maybe a little boring?
 

57stratdawg

Heisman
Dec 1, 2004
148,698
24,562
113
Close, but I’d go Aikman. Definitely would take the Buck / Aikman combo over Romo and Nance.
 

SwampDawg

Sophomore
Feb 24, 2008
2,193
122
63
Couldn't say. The only time we un-mute is when a play or penalty is being reviewed. Otherwise we mute the unceasing chatter.
 

aTotal360

Heisman
Nov 12, 2009
22,523
16,273
113
Romo is way more entertaining. Aikman is a doosh. Plus Romo is a regular dude. Years ago my wife showed me his wedding registry. It was nothing but cheap **** from Belk and Crate and Barrel. I remember seeing a fajita griddle and a margarita maker.
 
Nov 16, 2005
29,306
24,461
113
Well they’re both former Cowboys so that’s strike one**

Aikman is more polished but he can be overly critical at times and doesn’t let it go. He’s like Tim McCarver in baseball games bringing up an error three innings ago.

Romo is a little jumpy but he’s gotten much better with experience.
 

FlotownDawg

All-American
Aug 30, 2012
7,237
8,121
113
I prefer Aikman for his smooth delivery. Romo sounds like he’s constantly excited about every little thing and it gets a little tiring. They’re both outstanding analysts though.
 

Drebin

Heisman
Aug 22, 2012
22,523
27,494
113
Romo is the best. He has the excitement of a fan watching the game, while at the same time he's got the perspective to call out what's working and what's not. And he's not afraid to drop a "wow, that was stupid," or "why are they doing that."

Aikman is good, but he's a robot. And Joe Buck is annoying.
 

Jeffreauxdawg

All-American
Dec 15, 2017
8,891
8,003
113
Romo is way more entertaining. Aikman is a doosh. Plus Romo is a regular dude. Years ago my wife showed me his wedding registry. It was nothing but cheap **** from Belk and Crate and Barrel. I remember seeing a fajita griddle and a margarita maker.

Not that regular... I was involved with building Romo's house. His window package was $650,000 alone.
 

patdog

Heisman
May 28, 2007
60,505
31,727
113
They're both pretty annoying. NFL puts a much better football game on the field, but the announcers are even worse than college announcers. A lot worse.
 

MSUDC11

Redshirt
Aug 23, 2012
7,316
0
0
Probably give Romo a slight edge, but I like Jim Nantz a lot more than I like Joe Buck.

As an aside, I'm interested to see what Brees is going to be like in the booth for NBC (he's just doing Notre Dame games initially but you know they're grooming him and Tirico to eventually replace Collinsworth and Michaels).
 

FlotownDawg

All-American
Aug 30, 2012
7,237
8,121
113
Gotta disagree with that. Outside of Blackledge and Herbstreit, college analysts are dreadful. Some of them don’t even know the rules very well.
 

patdog

Heisman
May 28, 2007
60,505
31,727
113
No argument that college announcers are terrible. Just saying that NFL announcers are even more annoying. And Herbstreit is getting more and more annoying by the year.
 

ronpolk

All-American
May 6, 2009
9,426
5,357
113
I’ll take aikman... although I think Nance is better than Buck (buck ain’t bad though).

By far the best though is SNF with Michaels and Collinsworth
 

Drebin

Heisman
Aug 22, 2012
22,523
27,494
113
I’ll take aikman... although I think Nance is better than Buck (buck ain’t bad though).

By far the best though is SNF with Michaels and Collinsworth

Michaels is the best play by play guy. Collinsworth is a little annoying to me but he isn't terrible.
 

Jeffreauxdawg

All-American
Dec 15, 2017
8,891
8,003
113
I would really like a booth with Beth Mowins, Jason Witten, and Denis Miller. I think a few if you would break your TV....
 

hoopscoach21

Redshirt
Jul 13, 2017
28
0
0
Couldn't say. The only time we un-mute is when a play or penalty is being reviewed. Otherwise we mute the unceasing chatter.

I just can't do this. I have to hear the sounds of the game, crowd noise, whistles, and I even want to know whats being said in play by play whether I think it is ridiculous or not. No sound, even with horrible commentary, would drive me crazy. Only way I can do it is I'm at a crowded bar or something.

To each his own though.
 

Go Budaw

Redshirt
Aug 22, 2012
7,321
0
36
Romo is way more entertaining. Aikman is a doosh. Plus Romo is a regular dude. Years ago my wife showed me his wedding registry. It was nothing but cheap **** from Belk and Crate and Barrel. I remember seeing a fajita griddle and a margarita maker.

I wasn’t aware there was any “cheap ****” from Crate and Barrel.
 

HumpDawgy

All-Conference
Apr 6, 2010
4,880
2,040
113
My vote is for Romo/Nance but that vote will probably get flipped too.***
 

catvet

All-American
May 11, 2009
4,265
5,641
113
Aikman is okay but pretty stock. Can't listen to Romo. He gets excited and his voice goes up which drives me crazy
 

JML105

Redshirt
Sep 4, 2012
489
8
18
Seems like Romo is trying too hard. Buck is okay when he isn't sucking up to Troy. Troy's arrogance definitely shows in his delivery. Nance is a golf announcer.

Al and Chris are the best on TV. Chris got on my nerves when he first started, but I have grown an appreciation for his Football IQ. Al is the most knowledgeable of his peers as well.

Herby and Fowler are the best college, but Herby is a little elementary in his commentary imo.
 

Cooterpoot

Redshirt
Aug 29, 2012
4,239
2
0
Give me Romo. He breaks things down a lot better. I like that he's not boring as hell. Aikman is more old school and that's ok too.
 

DAWG61

Redshirt
Feb 26, 2008
10,111
0
0
Romo is the best because he gives you insight into the play calling and strategy of both teams as the game progresses. He's by far the best at reading the play before it happens. He also makes more than twice what Aikman makes so I think that explains why he tries too hard sometimes. Romo actually makes more than Aikman and Buck combined. Romo $17 mill a year, Buck $6 mill, Aikman $7.5 mill.
 

TrueMaroonGrind

All-Conference
Jan 6, 2017
4,129
1,699
113
No argument that college announcers are terrible. Just saying that NFL announcers are even more annoying. And Herbstreit is getting more and more annoying by the year.

In general, no way. The announcers on most of the State games have been very poor. There are very few I have enjoyed.

The crews on NFL are solid. I’m trying to follow why everybody seems to hate Joe Buck and I see everybody hates him, but no reasons. Aikman is fine other than when he rags Dak and acts snooty. Romo is fun. I like listening to the things he is looking at on the field. He gets excitable, but it’s a decent trade off if so have to choose between boring and Romo. MNF has been poor since Gruden left, especially when Witten and professor McFarland happened.
 

BlueRidgeMtns

All-Conference
Nov 29, 2016
5,521
3,386
113
I stood in line forever at the Jackson Zoo when I was like 9 to get Troy Aikman's autograph. I had a ball and a sharpie. He took my ball and signed it with some other kid's crap pen and nowadays you can't even tell anyone signed it.

So I choose Romo.
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Football Unpacking Mississippi State's offensive unraveling against Alabama
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football "Learning Moments": Mississippi State HC Jeff Lebby speaks on rough outing for QB Kamario Taylor
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football "We let ourselves down": Isaac Smith and Anthony Evans III speak on Mississippi State's defeat to Alabama
  4. 04 Maroon and White Rapid Recap: No. 7 Alabama 56-23 No. 16 Mississippi State
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football Live Updates: Mississippi State vs. Alabama