Because I am bored

Cleatortoises

Heisman
Dec 24, 2018
3,032
10,555
113
If the money was the same I would pick the ACC. I have been watching UK football for 40 decades, I am beaten down. If UK was in the ACC this year and had UL's schedule they would end the year with one loss, in the championship game against Miami. I don't care if it is the ACC or not tell me you would not be excited to finish the regular season with one loss and be preparing to watch UK in the CFP?
Ok Methusela. 40 decades is a lot of suffering.
 

Cleatortoises

Heisman
Dec 24, 2018
3,032
10,555
113

Hush4872

Junior
Oct 9, 2025
120
264
63
So just the AAC with the actual good football programs replaced with more commuter schools like Cincy? That conference would go bankrupt. SEC is currently the best top-to-bottom conference in football and dare I say basketball as well? Every game is basically a good game to watch. No idea why anyone would want to leave for snoozers against the likes of Wake Forest.
 

Get_over_it

Sophomore
Sep 23, 2026
135
170
43
So just the AAC with the actual good football programs replaced with more commuter schools like Cincy? That conference would go bankrupt. SEC is currently the best top-to-bottom conference in football and dare I say basketball as well? Every game is basically a good game to watch. No idea why anyone would want to leave for snoozers against the likes of Wake Forest.
Yeah I can see your point, it is much more fun to watch your team get waxed 52 to 21 or something by the likes of Alabama or Georgia every year.
 

Get_over_it

Sophomore
Sep 23, 2026
135
170
43
So just the AAC with the actual good football programs replaced with more commuter schools like Cincy? That conference would go bankrupt. SEC is currently the best top-to-bottom conference in football and dare I say basketball as well? Every game is basically a good game to watch. No idea why anyone would want to leave for snoozers against the likes of Wake Forest.
ChatGPT doesn't agree with you:

Yes. A 14-team “Heartland Conference” made up of those schools could absolutely make serious TV money. In fact, if you’re imagining an alternate-realignment scenario, I think it could be one of the more commercially viable 14-team leagues outside the SEC/Big Ten.

Your lineup:

  • Kentucky
  • Louisville
  • Cincinnati
  • West Virginia
  • Virginia Tech
  • NC State
  • Pittsburgh
  • Virginia
  • South Carolina
  • North Carolina
  • Georgia Tech
  • Wake Forest
  • Syracuse
  • Duke
is basically a regional, football-heavy ACC/Southeastern hybrid.

The TV value​

The current numbers give us a useful benchmark. The ACC's current ESPN arrangement is worth roughly $240 million per year in base media rights, while the broader ACC generated about $826.5 million in total revenue in FY2025. The Big 12's current media deal is about $380 million annually. E
Every CRS Report+2

Your hypothetical league actually has some things going for it that the current ACC doesn't:

1. Huge concentration of population and TV markets

You've got:

  • Charlotte/Raleigh
  • Atlanta
  • Washington, DC/Virginia
  • Pittsburgh
  • Cincinnati
  • Louisville
  • Lexington
  • Charleston/Columbia
  • Syracuse
  • Morgantown
That's a very attractive footprint for ESPN, FOX, NBC, CBS, or a combination of them.

2. Lots of recognizable brands

North Carolina, South Carolina, Kentucky, Louisville, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, NC State, Pittsburgh and Cincinnati are all schools with substantial football audiences.

And you'd have natural rivalries everywhere:

  • Kentucky–Louisville
  • Virginia–Virginia Tech
  • North Carolina–NC State
  • Pittsburgh–West Virginia
  • Cincinnati–Louisville
  • South Carolina–Kentucky
  • Duke–North Carolina
  • Virginia–North Carolina
  • Georgia Tech–Clemson (if Clemson were added, which I'd strongly consider)
That's exactly the kind of inventory television networks like.

I'd estimate something like $450–600M/year​

If this conference were created today, I'd roughly put its initial media-rights value at:

ScenarioAnnual TV/media rightsPer school
Conservative$350M$25M
Realistic$450–500M$32–36M
Strong bidding war$550–650M$39–46M
Exceptional$700M+$50M+
That's media rights only, before CFP money, NCAA tournament money, conference network revenue, bowl revenue, sponsorships, etc.

For comparison, the current Big 12 deal averages around $380M/year, while the SEC is around $710M/year and the Big Ten around $1.15B/year. E
Every CRS Report

So I'd expect your Heartland Conference to land above today's Big 12 but below the SEC/Big Ten, assuming the market values the teams approximately as they are today.

But there's one HUGE issue​

I would actually change your membership.

Clemson is the obvious omission.

If you're trying to maximize TV value, I'd take Clemson over at least one of the lower-value schools.

For example:

Heartland — 14

  1. Clemson
  2. South Carolina
  3. North Carolina
  4. NC State
  5. Duke
  6. Wake Forest
  7. Virginia
  8. Virginia Tech
  9. Louisville
  10. Kentucky
  11. Cincinnati
  12. West Virginia
  13. Pittsburgh
  14. Georgia Tech
Then I'd leave Syracuse out.

That gives you an incredibly compact geographic footprint and a ridiculous number of rivalry games.
 
KSR

Latest

  1. 01 KSR Basketball KSR Live Blog: 2026 Kentucky Basketball Pro Day
  2. 02 KSR Football 'It’s Thin': Will Stein hints at bad news on Kentucky's injury front
  3. 03 KSR Basketball KSR's three questions entering Kentucky Basketball Pro Day
  4. 04 KSR Football Kentucky Looking to Crack Third Down Conundrum
  5. 05 KSR Football Get ready for LSU with Will Stein's weekly press conference