Attributes of elite quarterbacks

Cain

Joined Oct 14, 1999
Feb 7, 2022
146
216
43
All elite quarterbacks in college or pros. Have these two attributes.

Number one they make quick decisions. they see things happen before anybody else sees things happen. They make quick decisions, the correct decisions, and know where to put the football.

Number two they’re accurate passers. are typically very accurate passers on all types of throws, over the middle, out on the side, down deep, crossing routes, fade routes, everything they’re very accurate in all types of situations.

You’ll notice I did not say they can run to 40 in 4.5 secs or less, I did not say they can bench press 450 pounds. I did not say they have a vertical leap of 44 inches.

Now withall above in mind, evaluate our current gamecock quarterback. Sadly he is slow to make decisions, then often makes bad ones. He is inaccurate on anything beyond 10 yds.
 

Skuddy

All-Conference
Feb 23, 2022
1,940
3,989
113
All elite quarterbacks in college or pros. Have these two attributes.

Number one they make quick decisions. they see things happen before anybody else sees things happen. They make quick decisions, the correct decisions, and know where to put the football.

Number two they’re accurate passers. are typically very accurate passers on all types of throws, over the middle, out on the side, down deep, crossing routes, fade routes, everything they’re very accurate in all types of situations.

You’ll notice I did not say they can run to 40 in 4.5 secs or less, I did not say they can bench press 450 pounds. I did not say they have a vertical leap of 44 inches.

Now withall above in mind, evaluate our current gamecock quarterback. Sadly he is slow to make decisions, then often makes bad ones. He is inaccurate on anything beyond 10 yds.
And they never played for SC.
 

Anon808620

Redshirt
Sep 21, 2026
5
2
0
All elite quarterbacks in college or pros. Have these two attributes.

Number one they make quick decisions. they see things happen before anybody else sees things happen. They make quick decisions, the correct decisions, and know where to put the football.

Number two they’re accurate passers. are typically very accurate passers on all types of throws, over the middle, out on the side, down deep, crossing routes, fade routes, everything they’re very accurate in all types of situations.

You’ll notice I did not say they can run to 40 in 4.5 secs or less, I did not say they can bench press 450 pounds. I did not say they have a vertical leap of 44 inches.

Now withall above in mind, evaluate our current gamecock quarterback. Sadly he is slow to make decisions, then often makes bad ones. He is inaccurate on anything beyond 10 yds.
You're not wrong.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Cain

RL09

All-Conference
Dec 29, 2025
993
1,149
93
All elite quarterbacks in college or pros. Have these two attributes.

Number one they make quick decisions. they see things happen before anybody else sees things happen. They make quick decisions, the correct decisions, and know where to put the football.

Number two they’re accurate passers. are typically very accurate passers on all types of throws, over the middle, out on the side, down deep, crossing routes, fade routes, everything they’re very accurate in all types of situations.

You’ll notice I did not say they can run to 40 in 4.5 secs or less, I did not say they can bench press 450 pounds. I did not say they have a vertical leap of 44 inches.

Now withall above in mind, evaluate our current gamecock quarterback. Sadly he is slow to make decisions, then often makes bad ones. He is inaccurate on anything beyond 10 yds.
another key attribute of elite qb's, they seldom hurt their own team, specifically with turnovers.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Legal_fowl and Cain

Go Gamecocks

All-Conference
Jan 19, 2021
1,624
1,354
113
not so fast, Connor Shaw was an elite qb for the Gamecocks. when he was our qb, I felt like our team could compete with just about anyone.
He made quick decisions and was accurate. So did Dylan Thompson.

Spencer Rattler was very similar, with more arm strength. But we ran different offenses with him v. Shaw/Thompson.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Cain

Skuddy

All-Conference
Feb 23, 2022
1,940
3,989
113
not so fast, Conner Shaw was an elite qb for the Gamecocks. when he was our qb, I felt like our team could compete with just about anyone.
Your definition of elite is different than mine. Shaw, Thompson and Rattler were very good but not elite.
 

DannyTree1

Sophomore
Jun 4, 2026
403
180
43
All elite quarterbacks in college or pros. Have these two attributes.

Number one they make quick decisions. they see things happen before anybody else sees things happen. They make quick decisions, the correct decisions, and know where to put the football.

Number two they’re accurate passers. are typically very accurate passers on all types of throws, over the middle, out on the side, down deep, crossing routes, fade routes, everything they’re very accurate in all types of situations.

You’ll notice I did not say they can run to 40 in 4.5 secs or less, I did not say they can bench press 450 pounds. I did not say they have a vertical leap of 44 inches.

Now withall above in mind, evaluate our current gamecock quarterback. Sadly he is slow to make decisions, then often makes bad ones. He is inaccurate on anything beyond 10 yds.


Very good post.

Yes- quick decisions and anticipate where the receiver is going to be in 1-3 seconds and throw to that spot.

So I agree.

I will add one thing I don't think our wide receivers do a real good job with is finding open areas when the play breaks down. I've seen our wideouts run into coverage as many times as I have seen them find open spots.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Cain

Cain

Joined Oct 14, 1999
Feb 7, 2022
146
216
43
Very good post.

Yes- quick decisions and anticipate where the receiver is going to be in 1-3 seconds and throw to that spot.

So I agree.

I will add one thing I don't think our wide receivers do a real good job with is finding open areas when the play breaks down. I've seen our wideouts run into coverage as many times as I have seen them find open spots.
Great point Danny. My next post will be the two attributes great receivers have.

Number one, they find ways to get open
number two, they catch the ball, every time it is thrown to them.
 

Ole Cockeye

Joined Mar 4, 2014 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Mar 4, 2014
480
1,307
93
Great point Danny. My next post will be the two attributes great receivers have.

Number one, they find ways to get open
number two, they catch the ball, every time it is thrown to them.
Mazeo was wide open in the end zone against Towson, but our QB chewed him out because he wasn't in the exact spot in the playbook.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Cain

Cain

Joined Oct 14, 1999
Feb 7, 2022
146
216
43
Mazeo was wide open in the end zone against Towson, but our QB chewed him out because he wasn't in the exact spot in the playbook.
Agree, and my suspicion is he chewed him out, because he under-threw him and was trying to pass the blame. If our QB put more air under that ball, he catches it easily.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ole Cockeye

TheRoo

Joined Nov 3, 2021
Feb 6, 2022
318
171
43
Your definition of elite is different than mine. Shaw, Thompson and Rattler were very good but not elite.
Rattler was elite -- especially given what he had to work with most of his career. He single-handedly created offense often.

The other two were very good but system QBs.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Cain
Oct 15, 2011
480
549
93
An elite QB in college doesn’t always translate to elite in the NFL.

Dylan Thompson was a good QB.
By most statistical measures Shaw’s senior stats would be considered elite. 27-5 overall record, 17-0 at home, 24:1 TD to INT ratio his senior year. Threw for 2,400 yards, rushed for another 550 his senior year. Don’t get much better than that.
 
  • Like
Reactions: TheRoo

kidrobinski

All-Conference
Jul 27, 2004
1,509
1,344
113
An elite QB in college doesn’t always translate to elite in the NFL.

Dylan Thompson was a good QB.
By most statistical measures Shaw’s senior stats would be considered elite. 27-5 overall record, 17-0 at home, 24:1 TD to INT ratio his senior year. Threw for 2,400 yards, rushed for another 550 his senior year. Don’t get much better than that.
Put Spencer Rattler on those teams. You’d see much better than that.
 
GamecockCentral

Latest

  1. 01 GamecockCentral Football Sunday update on Shane Beamer, South Carolina football
  2. 02 On3 Football Hot seat intel: Where things stand at South Carolina, TCU & more
  3. 03 GamecockCentral Football Inside the snap count: South Carolina vs. Kentucky
  4. 04 GamecockCentral Football Shane Beamer's thought process behind two failed fourth-down play calls in Kentucky loss
  5. 05 GamecockCentral Football PFF Grades: South Carolina's Week 5 loss to Kentucky