Attributes of elite quarterbacks

Cain

Joined Oct 14, 1999
Feb 7, 2022
118
196
43
All elite quarterbacks in college or pros. Have these two attributes.

Number one they make quick decisions. they see things happen before anybody else sees things happen. They make quick decisions, the correct decisions, and know where to put the football.

Number two they’re accurate passers. are typically very accurate passers on all types of throws, over the middle, out on the side, down deep, crossing routes, fade routes, everything they’re very accurate in all types of situations.

You’ll notice I did not say they can run to 40 in 4.5 secs or less, I did not say they can bench press 450 pounds. I did not say they have a vertical leap of 44 inches.

Now withall above in mind, evaluate our current gamecock quarterback. Sadly he is slow to make decisions, then often makes bad ones. He is inaccurate on anything beyond 10 yds.
 

Skuddy

All-Conference
Feb 23, 2022
1,929
3,979
113
All elite quarterbacks in college or pros. Have these two attributes.

Number one they make quick decisions. they see things happen before anybody else sees things happen. They make quick decisions, the correct decisions, and know where to put the football.

Number two they’re accurate passers. are typically very accurate passers on all types of throws, over the middle, out on the side, down deep, crossing routes, fade routes, everything they’re very accurate in all types of situations.

You’ll notice I did not say they can run to 40 in 4.5 secs or less, I did not say they can bench press 450 pounds. I did not say they have a vertical leap of 44 inches.

Now withall above in mind, evaluate our current gamecock quarterback. Sadly he is slow to make decisions, then often makes bad ones. He is inaccurate on anything beyond 10 yds.
And they never played for SC.
 

Anon808620

Redshirt
Sep 21, 2026
2
2
0
All elite quarterbacks in college or pros. Have these two attributes.

Number one they make quick decisions. they see things happen before anybody else sees things happen. They make quick decisions, the correct decisions, and know where to put the football.

Number two they’re accurate passers. are typically very accurate passers on all types of throws, over the middle, out on the side, down deep, crossing routes, fade routes, everything they’re very accurate in all types of situations.

You’ll notice I did not say they can run to 40 in 4.5 secs or less, I did not say they can bench press 450 pounds. I did not say they have a vertical leap of 44 inches.

Now withall above in mind, evaluate our current gamecock quarterback. Sadly he is slow to make decisions, then often makes bad ones. He is inaccurate on anything beyond 10 yds.
You're not wrong.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Cain

RL09

All-Conference
Dec 29, 2025
970
1,124
93
All elite quarterbacks in college or pros. Have these two attributes.

Number one they make quick decisions. they see things happen before anybody else sees things happen. They make quick decisions, the correct decisions, and know where to put the football.

Number two they’re accurate passers. are typically very accurate passers on all types of throws, over the middle, out on the side, down deep, crossing routes, fade routes, everything they’re very accurate in all types of situations.

You’ll notice I did not say they can run to 40 in 4.5 secs or less, I did not say they can bench press 450 pounds. I did not say they have a vertical leap of 44 inches.

Now withall above in mind, evaluate our current gamecock quarterback. Sadly he is slow to make decisions, then often makes bad ones. He is inaccurate on anything beyond 10 yds.
another key attribute of elite qb's, they seldom hurt their own team, specifically with turnovers.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Cain

Go Gamecocks

All-Conference
Jan 19, 2021
1,589
1,339
113
not so fast, Connor Shaw was an elite qb for the Gamecocks. when he was our qb, I felt like our team could compete with just about anyone.
He made quick decisions and was accurate. So did Dylan Thompson.

Spencer Rattler was very similar, with more arm strength. But we ran different offenses with him v. Shaw/Thompson.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Cain

Skuddy

All-Conference
Feb 23, 2022
1,929
3,979
113
not so fast, Conner Shaw was an elite qb for the Gamecocks. when he was our qb, I felt like our team could compete with just about anyone.
Your definition of elite is different than mine. Shaw, Thompson and Rattler were very good but not elite.
 

HockeyCock16

Sophomore
Feb 23, 2022
120
184
43
There’s only so many ELITE QB’s to go around and none of them are coming to Columbia, SC to play for the Gamecocks!
 
GamecockCentral

Latest

  1. 01 GamecockCentral Womens Basketball South Carolina women's basketball: How the Gamecocks' "point guard by committee" looked against College of Charleston
  2. 02 GamecockCentral Football Defensive coordinator Clayton White details "frustrating" lack of turnovers for South Carolina, challenges unit to respond well
  3. 03 GamecockCentral Football FAIREY CHEVROLET Drive to Game Five: Everything you need to know ahead of South Carolina-Kentucky
  4. 04 GamecockCentral Football Latest on South Carolina DL injuries from Wednesday's availability report
  5. 05 GamecockCentral Football Everything Kendal Briles said ahead of South Carolina's matchup with Kentucky