It wouldn't even move the needle. You act like it's all about race. Starkville High School is like 70/30 black to white right now. If Starkville Academy shut down, SHS would be like 65/35 black to white. Who cares? You think those very few white students will make a difference? If you do, then YOU are the racist!
This isn't 1970 anymore. Many black students attend these private schools now. And again, who cares what's happening in Belzoni? They aren't getting an economic win anytime soon. They are farming catfish, that's it.
This isn't 1970 anymore. Many black students attend these private schools now.
Indianola Gentry is an absolutely terrible public school. You could bus every single kid from Indianola Academy to Gentry and it would still be an absolutely terrible performing school. Private schools are not the problem. Parents that don’t give a crap, school administrators and teachers that are terrible at their jobs, and students that don’t have a desire to better themselves are the issue.
My kids go to public schools, and I know first hand that when a black or brown kid starts showing some promise academically, I know what happens. Their “friends” tell them they are acting “too white” and this is seen as a very bad thing. You know whiteness is evil and no one wants to be considered as “trying to be white”. Fix that issue first and you have a shot to turn it around!
We’ve got a bunch of healthy deer and sick deer. Let’s move the healthy deer to the sick deer to heal the sick deer.
We’ve got a bunch of good obedient labs and a bunch of mutts who can’t do crap. Let’s mix them together and the nutts will learn to fetch, not bark, sit, shake hands.
17ing brilliant. Osmosis I guess.
I got a little news for yall. Public schools have had "advanced" classes since back in the 60's when they were 100% white. I know from first hand experience.
The demographics are that way because the white students aren’t segregated in another school and the full community is invested in their schools.Well if you wanna go that route look at the demographics of those schools also.
That one of the main complaints I have heard about Space Command coming to HSV, along with increased traffic and the jobs the majority of jobs coming with Space Command will not be filled by local residents (IDK how true that is though).
Because you and people like you are more focused on whining about Mississippi's horrible racist history than you are worried about poor children in Mississippi having access to an adequate education in a safe environment today. Yes, it was horrible that whites fled the public schools when schools were desegregated. That's held a lot of places back economically, but that isn't a reason to not consider viable options now. Just as importantly, there have been plenty of school districts fail well after integration. The Hattiesburg school district isn't bad because a lot of white people left. A lot of white people left because the hattiesburg school district is bad. Cleveland public schools have remained a viable option for decades in supposedly the most racist part of the state. I had reasonably affluent relatives graduate from Greenwood high in the late 80's, early 90's. They apparently had one of the few schools where whites fled after desegregation and then came back, and were a viable schools for decades until according to people from there, one bad administrator ruined it. It's not like anywhere in the delta suddenly became more racist in the late 80's. So it's now been roughly three decades of being a pretty poor school (again, according to relatives; I have no clue how it compares to other public schools but I do know that whites that had options went there at least through the 80's). WHile the state would be much better off if there hadn't been white flight after integration and some places that don't have decent public schools now might if there hadn't been white flight, that's not the only problem now and even if it were, short of figuring out how to go back in time and stop it, it still wouldn't change the fact that we need better options for students from poor families.This isn't that hard of a notion to grasp. I don't know why you and a couple others are so hard pressed to argue with me.
The basic point is that Mississippi will not improve in education (which leads to improving economically) until we move away from the segregated school model. I'm not talking about JPS type districts, because that is a whole other ball of wax that is common in almost every major US city. I'm talking about districts in most every rural county in the state that has a segregationist academy. I don't think it's helping to continue keeping the haves and have-nots segregated at such a young age because it's not fair for the privileged kids to have to sit in a classroom with the underprivileged. This fundamentally leads to an unbalanced and undereducated society.
Dont make cringeworthy comments and people wont cringe. You even acknowledge that 'dumb' may not be the correct word to use- well what made the post cringeworthy was using that word.
Your example sucks. Its seriously awful. Worse than usual for you, really.
Comparing private schools to high competition travel sports is absurd. Some private schools are academically excellent and could absolutely be compared to high competition travel sports, but a whole **** ton(actual number) of private schools are academically quite unimpressive. Back in college, it was always interesting to learn who went to private schools. What they had learned and not learned was continually surprising.
Pillow Academy or North Sunflower Academy were not created and do not exist as a means to educate at a challenging and high level.
I doubt Greenwood is getting any economic wins anytime soon anyway, outside of home grown things like Viking. These school issues only seem to matter well after most hope is gone.I'm sure Pillow Academy is not some first class educational institution because it exists to provide an adequate education in a place where the public schools don't, so I doubt they can be selective about who goes there, but I had friends from Pillow in college and they were extremely well prepared for college and they were certainly educated at a challenging and high level and more or less cruised through first year college courses. And that's really all you can ask for in a place with a small population, is that people get educated up to their aptitude. Really, I'm not sure what more you would want regardless of the size of the population. Your high school may have been as good or even better than that, but that would have to mean your aptitude was fairly low.
I have never to my knowledge even come across somebody from North Sunflower Academy, so that may be a fair assessment of it.
If you look at the top public school districts in the state, one thing they almost all have in common is no significant segregationist-era academy presence. I don't think that's a coincidence.
The first step is getting everyone in your community to care about what happens to the schools. Right now in most MS districts the “rich” talk about how happy they are their kids don’t go to the public schools. Instead if all those people talked and complained about the public schools things would change.
You are right about the districts as well. Most tiny towns have a district along with the county. That is a waste, but the culture in MS is what is broken. Find a way to fix the culture by getting everyone involved and things will change for the better.
I doubt Greenwood is getting any economic wins anytime soon anyway, outside of home grown things like Viking. These school issues only seem to matter well after most hope is gone.
That one of the main complaints I have heard about Space Command coming to HSV, along with increased traffic and the jobs the majority of jobs coming with Space Command will not be filled by local residents (IDK how true that is though).
That's my point, the hay is in the barn. I'm not sure Greenwood's schools were ever good, and all they did was split students between public and Pillow. They never got a big win back then to keep the momentum, now it's over.Well, after three decades of poor public school options and their most educated population having children that generally leave for college and not come back, yea, they are going to be hard pressed to get any economic wins now. But if they had had a good public school for the past three decades and then momentum from Viking, maybe things would look different now. Not sure there is anything to make Greenwood really attractive. It's not on a navigable river (I don't think; I know there are rivers all through there but don't think any of them have barge traffic) and not on a major interstate although it's probably close enough to I-55 to sort of count for north/south purposes, but there are places that do pretty well despite not having any natural advantage just because they have a little luck and then self sustaining momentum.
Because you and people like you are more focused on whining about Mississippi's horrible racist history than you are worried about poor children in Mississippi having access to an adequate education in a safe environment today. Yes, it was horrible that whites fled the public schools when schools were desegregated. That's held a lot of places back economically, but that isn't a reason to not consider viable options now. Just as importantly, there have been plenty of school districts fail well after integration. The Hattiesburg school district isn't bad because a lot of white people left. A lot of white people left because the hattiesburg school district is bad. Cleveland public schools have remained a viable option for decades in supposedly the most racist part of the state. I had reasonably affluent relatives graduate from Greenwood high in the late 80's, early 90's. They apparently had one of the few schools where whites fled after desegregation and then came back, and were a viable schools for decades until according to people from there, one bad administrator ruined it. It's not like anywhere in the delta suddenly became more racist in the late 80's. So it's now been roughly three decades of being a pretty poor school (again, according to relatives; I have no clue how it compares to other public schools but I do know that whites that had options went there at least through the 80's). WHile the state would be much better off if there hadn't been white flight after integration and some places that don't have decent public schools now might if there hadn't been white flight, that's not the only problem now and even if it were, short of figuring out how to go back in time and stop it, it still wouldn't change the fact that we need better options for students from poor families.
Our school model is not segregated by race, it's segregated by socioeconomic status. Black people with means do send their children to private schools if the public schools are inadequate. Probably more often, they just move somewhere to where public schools are adequate. But we need to give viable options to students whose parents can't afford to send them to private school and can't relocate to somewhere with decent public schools. And even if shutting down better schools were somehow the solution for bad schools, we can't do that so there's no point dreaming about it.
If you look at the top public school districts in the state, one thing they almost all have in common is no significant segregationist-era academy presence. I don't think that's a coincidence.
I think you're the one with your head buried in the sand. You still haven't come up with one viable solution yet. All you want to do is call everything racist and be done with it. There are elements of race, and elements of socioeconomic status, like johnson said. He's meeting in the middle, and you're holding to your guns and calling everyone racist. You're the one who is not understanding the situation, here.Not whining. It's a legitimate issue that "people like you" like to bury your head in the sand about.
Funny you brought up Cleveland... I lived there. Are you aware that there are two high schools on opposite ends of town? And it's not a big town geographically or population wise. Do you know what the demographics are in each of those schools? To sum it up for you there are 3 high schools in Cleveland.... The all black one that's "across the tracks", the integrated one that's on "the good side" of town that parents and admin who care are trying their hardest to keep a good school despite the continuous fleeing of students to the subpar Bayou Academy for obvious reasons.
This is just simply not true.
Add Hartfield to this. Right smack dab in the middle of NWR territory, which is supposedly a 'good school'. And Park Place, which is pulling students from Brandon and Pearl, both 'good schools'.Does Madison/MRA qualify? I guess MRA wouldn't really be considered 'significant' relative to the Madison public schools.
Regarding the other top districts, did they never have segregated academies? Or did the academies die off over time? If they died off, I would argue that they died off due to the presence of a strong public school. I went to private school in Jackson, and I can promise you that there are a ton of parents that would take a good public option over private school tuition in a heartbeat.
Not directed at you, but people tend to paint with a broad brush when it comes to people who attend private school. Sure there is a much higher percentage of truly rich families and there are also a good number of families who see it as a status symbol.....but there are a whole lot of parents who work hard and make sacrifices to send their kids there because they place a high value on education and they are putting their money where their mouth is.
Also, the idea that parents should take one for the team and send their kids to ****** public schools to try and improve the ****** public school system is asinine.
I think you're the one with your head buried in the sand. You still haven't come up with one viable solution yet. All you want to do is call everything racist and be done with it. There are elements of race, and elements of socioeconomic status, like johnson said. He's meeting in the middle, and you're holding to your guns and calling everyone racist. You're the one who is not understanding the situation, here.
Moving on, your pragmatic solution is _______? Me personally, I think the only option is some type of school choice. I don't know how you implement that in rural areas, though.
ETA: Much of schooling is moving away from the traditional model anyway. Online classes, coding academies, practical trade schools, etc. 'High school' is just outdated.
And I agree, if I lived in Jackson city limits or in some of the rural delta towns, no way in hell I'm sending my kids to the public schools. I'm either moving to a good district or paying for private. So yeah, I'm part of the problem too.
Nobody is burying their head in the sand. We are the ones acknowledging reality and at least open to solutions other than (1) going back in time and preventing the creation of academies and (2) getting good parents to send their kids to bad public schools, which is only slightly more realistic than option 1.Not whining. It's a legitimate issue that "people like you" like to bury your head in the sand about.
I was aware that there were two public high schools and also aware that Cleveland's reward for having the most integrated public school system in the Mississippi Delta was a federal lawsuit ordering them to cut it out. Just like some people would rather all poor students in a ****** school district be stuck rather than try things that might not help all of them, they'd apparently rather have a perfectly segregated school system if the next option is an imperfectly integrated one. I don't know how good or bad the Cleveland school district is, but it seems crazy to me that people went out of their way to sue the most integrated and successful public school district in the delta. I guess I'm just unprincipled, but I would have said let's try to copy the most successful school district, even if it's not perfect, rather than sue it. But I would also be willing to let poor people have some of the same options as people with money when it comes to being able to go to the school of their choice.Funny you brought up Cleveland... I lived there. Are you aware that there are two high schools on opposite ends of town? And it's not a big town geographically or population wise. Do you know what the demographics are in each of those schools? To sum it up for you there are 3 high schools in Cleveland.... The all black one that's "across the tracks", the integrated one that's on "the good side" of town that parents and admin who care are trying their hardest to keep a good school despite the continuous fleeing of students to the subpar Bayou Academy for obvious reasons.
So you think black parents are like, "17 the kids; we're just going to keep them in an inadequate school rather than send them to a private school we can afford or move to a better district."??? I will concede that I don't know any parents that send their kids to inadequate schools, so it's certainly possible that is common, but I know parents of pretty much any background you can think of that either send their kid to private school or bought their house primarily based on the school district it was in. Although all of the schools in our district are adequate and our kids could go to any one, they are still pretty strongly sorted based on socioeconomic factors. While there is certainly overlap at the lower socioeconomic status, basically all the very high socioeconomic status families are in one of the two best schools at any age group.This is just simply not true.
Nobody is burying their head in the sand. We are the ones acknowledging reality and at least open to solutions other than (1) going back in time and preventing the creation of academies and (2) getting good parents to send their kids to bad public schools, which is only slightly more realistic than option 1.
I was aware that there were two public high schools and also aware that Cleveland's reward for having the most integrated public school system in the Mississippi Delta was a federal lawsuit ordering them to cut it out. Just like some people would rather all poor students in a ****** school district be stuck rather than try things that might not help all of them, they'd apparently rather have a perfectly segregated school system if the next option is an imperfectly integrated one. I don't know how good or bad the Cleveland school district is, but it seems crazy to me that people went out of their way to sue the most integrated and successful public school district in the delta. I guess I'm just unprincipled, but I would have said let's try to copy the most successful school district, even if it's not perfect, rather than sue it. But I would also be willing to let poor people have some of the same options as people with money when it comes to being able to go to the school of their choice.
So you think black parents are like, "17 the kids; we're just going to keep them in an inadequate school rather than send them to a private school we can afford or move to a better district."??? I will concede that I don't know any parents that send their kids to inadequate schools, so it's certainly possible that is common, but I know parents of pretty much any background you can think of that either send their kid to private school or bought their house primarily based on the school district it was in. Although all of the schools in our district are adequate and our kids could go to any one, they are still pretty strongly sorted based on socioeconomic factors. While there is certainly overlap at the lower socioeconomic status, basically all the very high socioeconomic status families are in one of the two best schools at any age group.
No, the way it began was because of race. What you are failing to admit is that our State has yet to entirely rectify that when it comes to K-12 education.
And "many black students attend private schools now"? You can't be serious. Again, appreciate the dialogue. I'm moving on now.
Does Madison/MRA qualify? I guess MRA wouldn't really be considered 'significant' relative to the Madison public schools.
Regarding the other top districts, did they never have segregated academies? Or did the academies die off over time? If they died off, I would argue that they died off due to the presence of a strong public school. I went to private school in Jackson, and I can promise you that there are a ton of parents that would take a good public option over private school tuition in a heartbeat.
Not directed at you, but people tend to paint with a broad brush when it comes to people who attend private school. Sure there is a much higher percentage of truly rich families and there are also a good number of families who see it as a status symbol.....but there are a whole lot of parents who work hard and make sacrifices to send their kids there because they place a high value on education and they are putting their money where their mouth is.
Also, the idea that parents should take one for the team and send their kids to ****** public schools to try and improve the ****** public school system is asinine.
MRA was founded in 1969 in a direct response to desegregation. Hartfield is relatively new. It can trace its roots to the old Brandon Academy, which was a desegregation academy though.
Any attempt at a solution should start with JPS. If it can be fixed, literally ANY school system can be fixed.
Maroon and White Football
Anthony Evans III posts highest PFN WR grade of Week 5
Maroon and White Football
Standout Stats: No. 7 Alabama 56-23 No. 16 Mississippi State
Maroon and White Football
Unpacking Mississippi State's offensive unraveling against Alabama
Maroon and White Football
"Learning Moments": Mississippi State HC Jeff Lebby speaks on rough outing for QB Kamario Taylor
Maroon and White Football
"We let ourselves down": Isaac Smith and Anthony Evans III speak on Mississippi State's defeat to Alabama