5th Year Debate

Fishjam

All-Conference
Mar 27, 2016
1,022
3,431
113
The NCAA has given guidance to team's not to take action on 5th year players who have won eligibility in the courts as they are appealing the rulings. Of course, this has not stopped many programs from getting commitments from these players. Hurley is speaking out against it and says coaches who have gained so much from the game of basketball need to look in the mirror and do what's right for the game.

A lot of what he says makes sense but we are waaaay beyond what is good for the game. See below article and list of 5th years who have committed already. Where do you side in this debate and should Sha be actively pursuing and pushing for commitments from 5th year eligibility players now before the appeal is heard?


 

Halldan

All-American
Staff member
Jan 1, 2003
185,301
8,214
113
First the obvious. The NCAA should have waited on declaring the 5th year rule. It would have saved everyone a lot of headaches.

Now, it doesn't matter if we like or don't like giving current players an extra year of eligibly. It's here to stay so our opinions are pointless.

The real question here is should past players get an extra year? I say no. Players have commited to schools with the thought that they chose said schools knowing the roster and their standing. But if you allow players from last year an extra season you are jeopardizing the current roster as regards PT.

Again, what I think is pointless but I truly hope for the good of the game (LOL) that the lawsuit fails.
 

hbkmyr

Senior
Dec 29, 2009
2,330
572
113
The NCAA has given guidance to team's not to take action on 5th year players who have won eligibility in the courts as they are appealing the rulings. Of course, this has not stopped many programs from getting commitments from these players. Hurley is speaking out against it and says coaches who have gained so much from the game of basketball need to look in the mirror and do what's right for the game.

A lot of what he says makes sense but we are waaaay beyond what is good for the game. See below article and list of 5th years who have committed already. Where do you side in this debate and should Sha be actively pursuing and pushing for commitments from 5th year eligibility players now before the appeal is heard?



Hypocrite Hurley will go running to take the first 5th year player he thinks can help him.
 

Halldan

All-American
Staff member
Jan 1, 2003
185,301
8,214
113

UConn's Hurley sounds alarm on late additions after court ruling​



UConn coach Dan Hurley says coaches who are taking advantage of recent court rulings to make late additions to their programs are doing more harm than good.

In the wake of a federal judge in Colorado granting a preliminary injunction and blanket waiver for athletes in the 2022 high school class to play a fifth year under new NCAA rules, Hurley said the current climate is "unsustainable." He said additions this close to the start of class -- teams can start practice 42 days before their first game -- affect high school players and create an unfair advantage.

"You can't act like it's not a victimless situation. I mean, there are kids that are 17, 18 years old that potentially may lose out on opportunities," Hurley told reporters Friday. "So it's not victimless. At some point, you've got to care about the sport, especially if the sport has given you a lot. If you're a coach and the sport has given you a lot, it's like doing things to hurt the sport so that you can win a little bit more. I think you've got to be able to look in the mirror on that, especially if the sport has given you a lot already."

The NCAA's decision to block potential fifth-year players under its new five-year, age-based eligibility rules preceded a series of state and federal cases that it will either successfully fight in court or lose, potentially leading to an influx of players who could change rosters weeks before the 2026-27 season starts.

On Friday, Texas Tech announced that former All-Big 12 first-teamer Darrion Williams, who entered the 2026 NBA draft but was not selected, was returning to the Red Raiders following a one-year stint at NC State. Florida's Denzel Aberdeen could be a major addition to the Gators' roster, and former UCLA star Donovan Dent is a rumored addition for multiple programs.

But the judge in the Colorado case clarified that players would have had to put their names in the transfer portal when it opened in April to take advantage of the preliminary injunction the NCAA is actively fighting.

Amid the chaos, Hurley said he won't add any players to his roster and said that the current climate, which also involves a push to pass a federal bill to regulate collegiate sports, is "frustrating."

"Now you can screw up high school recruiting. You could screw up portal recruiting, not have a very good team, and now start plucking from a group of players in August and put together a team. It makes it tough," he said. "We did the best we could do in high school recruiting. Now you've got this selection of portal players. You put together the best team you can. You start practicing for the summer, and now let's unleash 80 players into the sport in the first week of August. I mean, we can't go on like this."

With the return of NCAA tournament hero Braylon Mullins, Hurley's squad will chase its third national title in five seasons. He said his team is beginning to look like a squad that can compete once the season starts. Inserting another player after months of building chemistry, he said, would be unimaginable.

"We have meetings with compliance, and if compliance says that something is illegal and we can't do it, or a player is ineligible based on the rules, our reaction as a university is not, 'Let's go find a lawyer in Willimantic, Connecticut, or something,'" he said.
 

dehere23

All-Conference
Feb 28, 2015
1,746
2,025
113
I agree with Hurley in spirit, but we absolutely should take a player if available.

And Saint Danny can save me the sanctimonious “good of the game stuff”. You’re at the place built by Jim freaking Calhoun. You have Kimani Young on staff. You are Uconn, one of the handful of programs in the country that can basically get most anyone you want because of money and brand. When you have your pick of 5-stars; top level transfers and can retain anyone you want, it s easy to stay way from older Euros or these 5th year guys.

But make no mistake about. If Saint Danny were still at URI right now, recruiting with those “resources” and that brand, he would be all over 23 year old Euros and “5 in 5” kids.
 

SPK145

All-Conference
Jun 3, 2001
1,455
3,385
113
First the obvious. The NCAA should have waited on declaring the 5th year rule. It would have saved everyone a lot of headaches.
They should have waited longer but the rule was not approved until all college athletics were completed for the academic year, Hence everyone that should have lost eligibility already did so, so the Class of 2022 should not get an extra year.

I like the rule though, simple and no more waivers.
 
Last edited:

dehere23

All-Conference
Feb 28, 2015
1,746
2,025
113
Makes sense.

Since this is now professional sports, I don’t understand the “good of the game” stuff that Hurley is spouting even if I agree with it in spirit.

A team has a chance to take a player the league says is or may be eligible. Why wouldn’t they?

I think if you look at Dan’s Twitter post above you will see the real reason why Saint Danny is taking shots here under the guise of this “good of the game act”. It’s pretty transparent.
 

doctorcb12

Junior
Feb 1, 2018
124
289
63
I agree with Dan that it doesn’t matter what we think about whether class of 2022 deserves 5th year or not. In my opinion NCAA knew the lawsuits were coming. They should have considered the coaches and schools and make their lives easier by just giving them eligibility in March so everyone could plan accordingly. It’s not fair to have rosters formed and then now in August when most coaches and staff are trying to schedule some well deserved time off now have to deal with this.

I know Sha has something setup with some Europeans but as he said in his media availability everything is on the table. If he can find a 5th year player who is affordable it would be foolish not to try and get them. If they become ineligible it is what is but Sha in my opinion would face major criticism if we have a terrible year and he didn’t make an attempt to get a 5th year player on the roster.
 
  • Like
Reactions: dehere23

Seton75

All-Conference
Jun 3, 2001
36,861
3,256
113
5 yrs to play 4 worked for a few decades and should stay the standard. Giving players a chance for another payday, and coaches a chance for more players not good enough reasons for me.
 
  • Like
Reactions: NIL BAD

dehere23

All-Conference
Feb 28, 2015
1,746
2,025
113
I agree with Dan that it doesn’t matter what we think about whether class of 2022 deserves 5th year or not. In my opinion NCAA knew the lawsuits were coming. They should have considered the coaches and schools and make their lives easier by just giving them eligibility in March so everyone could plan accordingly. It’s not fair to have rosters formed and then now in August when most coaches and staff are trying to schedule some well deserved time off now have to deal with this.

I know Sha has something setup with some Europeans but as he said in his media availability everything is on the table. If he can find a 5th year player who is affordable it would be foolish not to try and get them. If they become ineligible it is what is but Sha in my opinion would face major criticism if we have a terrible year and he didn’t make an attempt to get a 5th year player on the roster.
+1000

If Silas Demary tears his ACL in a workout tomorrow (which no one is rooting for), does anyone actually think Tom Moore, Kimani and/or Hurley aren't on the phone with Donovan Dent and his people 5 second after, and wouldn't take the kid in that scenario? Or some 23rd year Euro pro that plays PG in a top Euro league but can be eligible under current rules or an interpretation of the current rules? Please.
 

dehere23

All-Conference
Feb 28, 2015
1,746
2,025
113
Amari Monroe, a Sha favorite and another one of the 5 in 5 guys, is going to Cuse. Would have fit perfectly here IMO. Not sure when he popped for Cuse or if it’s official.
 

Anon1774390042

Freshman
Mar 24, 2026
77
88
18
Hypocrite Hurley will go running to take the first 5th year player he thinks can help him.
Completely INCORRECT & UNTRUE!
Hurley had the opportunity to get Duke Brennan and declined. He stated yesterday that UCONN is not adding any 5th year players.
UCONN has $$$ available if they wanted yo spend it but Dan is a principled person thinking of the health of the game and refuses to do so.
 

Halldan

All-American
Staff member
Jan 1, 2003
185,301
8,214
113
There's 2 ways to describe what Hurley did with Hines.

1. From the get go he or his associates were putting out feelers during the season to gauge Hines' interest in transferring to Conn.

2. Only after Hines went into the portal did Hurley pursue the player as it was clear he was not returning to SHU.

Scenario 1 shows that Hurley was never true to his word. Scenario two, no SHU fan should have an issue with.

Which one do you believe?
 
Mar 10, 2022
474
244
43
There's 2 ways to describe what Hurley did with Hines.

1. From the get go he or his associates were putting out feelers during the season to gauge Hines' interest in transferring to Conn.

2. Only after Hines went into the portal did Hurley pursue the player as it was clear he was not returning to SHU.

Scenario 1 shows that Hurley was never true to his word. Scenario two, no SHU fan should have an issue with.

Which one do you believe?
…??

It was scenario 1 and that’s pretty much a fact

Why is this even a discussion?
 

Halldan

All-American
Staff member
Jan 1, 2003
185,301
8,214
113
Because not everyone has any inside info. If you believe you do than please detail what you know.
 

doctorcb12

Junior
Feb 1, 2018
124
289
63
There's 2 ways to describe what Hurley did with Hines.

1. From the get go he or his associates were putting out feelers during the season to gauge Hines' interest in transferring to Conn.

2. Only after Hines went into the portal did Hurley pursue the player as it was clear he was not returning to SHU.

Scenario 1 shows that Hurley was never true to his word. Scenario two, no SHU fan should have an issue with.

Which one do you believe?
Yeah no way Hurley just looked at the portal the day after the championship game and so oh look Hines is in there we should try to get him. Definitely worked on behind the scenes months ago. Either way as a SHU fan I’m upset with either scenario. I think it’s messed up to go after another Big East team’s star player and then complain the Big East needs to be better and win more games the non conference. How we supposed to do that when you and Pitino keep enticing the other teams best players to leave. Yes Holloway has taken players from other Big East teams but they were more role players.
 
  • Like
Reactions: HALL85

Seton75

All-Conference
Jun 3, 2001
36,861
3,256
113
Yeah no way Hurley just looked at the portal the day after the championship game and so oh look Hines is in there we should try to get him. Definitely worked on behind the scenes months ago. Either way as a SHU fan I’m upset with either scenario. I think it’s messed up to go after another Big East team’s star player and then complain the Big East needs to be better and win more games the non conference. How we supposed to do that when you and Pitino keep enticing the other teams best players to leave. Yes Holloway has taken players from other Big East teams but they were more role players.
It wasnt like SHU had a chance. It was uconn or sj or some other BE school, or he leaves the BE and the BE talent at center collectively is depleted. Sucks for us. But our bigs this yr will be better than last yr. Lots of things suck. Gotta get over them, and imo, this yr, at center, sha has done just that.
 

Halldan

All-American
Staff member
Jan 1, 2003
185,301
8,214
113
You think UConn waited until he entered the portal?
I simply noted two possibilities without assuming anything. Your response is the one needing clarification. If you know something that others here do not then state it without assuming we know what you know.
 

radecicco

All-Conference
Jun 24, 2013
977
1,563
93
It wasnt like SHU had a chance. It was uconn or sj or some other BE school, or he leaves the BE and the BE talent at center collectively is depleted. Sucks for us. But our bigs this yr will be better than last yr. Lots of things suck. Gotta get over them, and imo, this yr, at center, sha has done just that.
I’ve reluctantly come to the position that’s it’s better that Hines remains in the BE. Of course it hurts. It’s up to SHU to find a way to remain competitive. In 3/4 years Holloway has done that.
 
Mar 10, 2022
474
244
43
I simply noted two possibilities without assuming anything. Your response is the one needing clarification. If you know something that others here do not then state it without assuming we know what you know.
Lol ok my premise is based on…

NO ONE in the sport waits until these players hit the portal

Most of these kids hear from GMs or secondary people around the new year

You know that
 

Halldan

All-American
Staff member
Jan 1, 2003
185,301
8,214
113
So what you're saying is that you are assuming everyone is guilty without any real proof. I have an open mind and don't need to post LOL on things I cannot prove.

Are many programs guilty as you say? I would assume that yes they are. But without some form of proof I would never single out any particular case.
 

dehere23

All-Conference
Feb 28, 2015
1,746
2,025
113
Personally I don’t think it matters either way re: intra-conference transfers.

Once the first one went - whoever it was - the door is open. Role player or not. You start getting into those debates, it becomes a version of “how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.”

Always knew Hurley like any other coach in the league would have no problem doing so once that door opened because this is free agency/professional sports. You can make your roster better you do it.

Sha wasn’t concerned that DAW was “back end” starter at SJU. He wanted the player. He also wanted Posh, btw, who was a starter on two BE teams and absolutely was more than a “role player” his first two years at SJU (he was freshman of the year, DPOY and an all big east player those two years).

Guys like Francis and Davis have spots on this staff because of the in-season “tampering” stuff and now add Hernandez to the mix. It’s what the game is now.

When you start thinking that a certain coach or program you might “sports like” is above another coach and program you “sports hate” for whatever reason, it leads to emotionally-charged reaction and logical gymnastics.
 

Halldan

All-American
Staff member
Jan 1, 2003
185,301
8,214
113
What we're seeing now is the everybody cheats/pays for player that was in vogue before the new rules came into being. My gut with no proof is that not all coaches back then paid for players. Of course the supposition that many did seems to be the case.

That doesn't mean that other rules were not bent. It's human nature, especially in a competitive sport with so many A type personalities that everyone is pointing fingers at everyone else.

Guess the best thing I can say without actual proof is that rules will always be bent with the question I have being to what degree.

I had a very close friend in the coaching business with no connection to Seton Hall tell me find a coach who is not cheating and I will tell you his program is in last place.
 
  • Like
Reactions: dehere23
Seton Hall Pirates

Latest

  1. 01 Rivals 4-star PG Javion Tyndale down to 6 schools
  2. 02 Women's Sports Highly-recruited 2027 prospect Ava Womack breaks down recruitment
  3. 03 Women's Sports Highly-recruited 2027 prospect Eni Oyedeji breaks down recruitment
  4. 04 On3 LMU transfer guard Rodney Brown Jr. commits to Seton Hall
  5. 05 On3 NCAA Tournament expansion: What 2026 March Madness bracket could have looked like with 76 teams