Youth basketball camp question (Yukon area)

Adman513

All-American
May 29, 2001
5,106
5,124
113
Well, I won't be winning any father-of-the-year awards anytime soon...

My youngest son is 9 and has only recently (as in this spring) shown an interest in basketball. We told him we'd look into some possible camps this summer. I looked online for Yukon Schools' camp, but the link I first saw said June 11th -13th. However, we realized today that it actually started today. Apparently, the link I looked at was from freaking 2013, so I obviously didn't look at the right schedule.

I checked the Yukon Parks & Rec site for any possible camps, and after calling--they're booked too. There's a Thunder camp next week...but that's when we're heading to Branson.

So, does anyone have any ideas/suggestions for another summer camp that's relatively close to Yukon? Honestly, he's just starting out, so learning the very basics is all he would need. He's also kinda short for his age, so he's already feeling insecure about it when he plays with friends at school. If we can't find a camp, I'd be willing to pay someone from some one-on-one instruction if possible.

Appreciate any feedback you can offer would be much appreciated!!

Sincerely,
****** dad.
 

Air_Thurman

Heisman
Jan 16, 2003
32,685
32,868
63
I don't have any info (so I'm not much help) but I always went to Mustang Basketball Camp back in the day. I assume they still have it and since they have a pretty great team I imagine it would be worthwhile.
 

boxter

All-Conference
Dec 3, 2002
131,097
3,288
66
In the future keep in mind Cage Camp in Edmond at OCC. they do a great job with coaches from all over coming in. Not sure of the age when it starts but my daughter went several times and had a blast. My son was only interested in football. He went to the OSU camp several times.

I always went to camps in PC that the hs coaches put on. In HS we played summer league bball at the Y.
 

BigBobBarker

Sophomore
Apr 2, 2008
706
103
0
Doug Schumpert's camp in Anadarko. It will be good for fundamentals and the facilities are nice. Doug keeps the coaching appropriate for the age group. I think he has 3 state championships between Carnegie and Anadarko. When I was a kid in the mid 90s most camps were $40-$50. Doug's camp was $10 and he usually gave each kid a couple t shirts. He was my high school AP US history teacher. I can't find the dates for the camp. You will probably need to call down there. I went to his camp as a boy and the fundamentals that he taught made me a much better player.
 
O State Illustrated

Latest

  1. 01 On3 Football Big 12 names Football Players of the Week after Week 4
  2. 02 O State Illustrated Football Takeaways from Oklahoma State’s 41-24 win over West Virginia
  3. 03 O State Illustrated Football Oklahoma State rolls West Virginia 41-24, win third straight
  4. 04 O State Illustrated Football OSI Staff Picks: Cowboys at Mountaineers
  5. 05 O State Illustrated Football Ask the Expert: Cummings on Oklahoma State at West Virginia