Would you prefer Crown or NIT?

Aug 31, 2003
15,133
557
113
The Crown will contractually take the "next 2" teams from the Big Ten, Big 12, and Big East, but the SEC and ACC teams are free to choose the NIT. The Crown will take place over a week in Vegas; the NIT games will be spread out over time, which I prefer. NU would be given at least 1 home game in the NIT. There will likely be more strong mid-major teams in the NIT, although I believe both tournaments are trying to cater to the P5 conferences.
 

PurpleWhiteBoy

Redshirt
Feb 25, 2021
5,303
0
0
I enjoyed watching the NIT last year. Its a good format. Watched Indiana State to try to guess how many teams they'd have beaten in the NCAA field. Stopped counting when I got to "at least half."
 

GatoLouco

Junior
Nov 13, 2019
5,722
221
63
NIT. It’s the chance to see multiple teams that show they were good enough to make the tournament but didn’t have the calendar to do so.

The Crown will be teams that had the calendar but could not do it. It’s more of the same just because it will probably generate more tv viewership.
 
Last edited:

PurpleWhiteBoy

Redshirt
Feb 25, 2021
5,303
0
0
NIT. It’s the chance to see multiple teams that show they were good enough to make the tournament but didn’t have the calendar to do so.

The Crown will be teams that had the calendar but could not do it. It’s more of the same just because it will probably generate more tv viewership.
I'd definitely prefer to watch mid-majors that I've never seen before, or maybe once or twice, instead of a Power 5 team that had a down year.
With exceptions, of course.
 

SmellyCat

Junior
May 29, 2001
7,317
380
83
If I were going to Vegas, the crown would be fun. Watching from my couch, I prefer the NIT, especially if NU gets a home game. Would they be invited at 16-16 if they lose tomorrow though? That’s what I worry about.
 

Alvious

Senior
Sep 6, 2010
2,696
433
83
I'd prefer NIT, although I haven't seen us mentioned as a possibility for either.
 

EagerFan

Junior
Dec 24, 2010
3,317
284
83
On the one hand, I like the NIT for variety of competitive mid major teams.
On the other hand, I prefer the 'fairness' of neutral courts.

Ambivalence rules atm.
 

Baz=Heisman

Redshirt
Feb 11, 2023
726
0
11
If we lose today, I’m not sure we get either. With that being said, if we win, we should lobbying for the NIT. You get to play next week, get a home game (probably) and the finals are at Hinkle. The Crown gets better TV exposure but that’s about it. It’s a 2 week break and some mid majors (see what I did there?) versus some actually good mid-majors as opponents. We need more PT for our young guys.
 
Nov 20, 2004
1,903
267
83
Buzz is all around the Crown. Aside from the timing, it’s a better tournament. Could kill the NIT in a year or two.
 

Baz=Heisman

Redshirt
Feb 11, 2023
726
0
11
Buzz is all around the Crown. Aside from the timing, it’s a better tournament. Could kill the NIT in a year or two.
That’s fair. I would agree about the buzz. Also, all games are on Fox or FS1 with tons of cross promotion for it on MLB, NASCAR and other CBB.
 
Wildcat Report

Latest

  1. 01 Wildcat Report Fearless Forecast: Ball State vs. Northwestern
  2. 02 On3 NIL Northwestern agrees to 10-year extension on Under Armour deal, will receive increased NIL investment
  3. 03 Wildcat Report Media Day Notebook: Northwestern hungry to rebuild with 11 new players on roster
  4. 04 Wildcat Report Northwestern vs. Penn State PFF Grades Analysis
  5. 05 Wildcat Report Behind Enemy Lines: Ball State