What would OM fans have done

Sep 9, 2012
2,803
0
0
If Dan Mullen had tweeted this? Just curious.

FWIW- I have no problem with **** talking after a win. But let’s stop this noise about toxicity coming from MSU and leaving trophies on the field.

[Tweet]1333782720078557184[/Tweet]
 
Last edited:

GloryDawg

Heisman
Mar 3, 2005
20,707
19,582
113
What do they mean by lost edge. Hell we lost by 7 points. If we lost by 40 I would get it.
 

BlueRidgeMtns

All-Conference
Nov 29, 2016
5,534
3,404
113
And it's written by State's lovely beat writer, Horka.

That kid is perfect for the landshark ledger.
 

Msubulldogfan1

Freshman
Sep 12, 2013
8,835
80
48
Kiffin is a troll, that’s what he does. Doesn’t bother me. We all know kiffin will probably be gone after next year.
 

MSUDC11

Redshirt
Aug 23, 2012
7,316
0
0
Interesting, I don't remember any of these kind of articles after we won 3 of 4 against them from 2016-2019. But they beat us once by a touchdown at home when we were massively shorthanded and suddenly it's "look at how State has fallen behind."

Same junk, different day.
 

dawgstudent

Heisman
Apr 15, 2003
40,558
22,415
113
Interesting, I don't remember any of these kind of articles after we won 3 of 4 against them from 2016-2019. But they beat us once by a touchdown at home when we were massively shorthanded and suddenly it's "look at how State has fallen behind."

Same junk, different day.

It is literally unbelievable. The CL might have written one about State but I don't remember it.
 

FISHDAWG

Redshirt
Dec 27, 2009
2,077
0
36
They're just relieved it wasn't a threepeat ... Let him crow about beating half a football team... I love this stuff, I liked it when Dan dropped shots across their bow and I can appreciate the return fire now

ETA - meant to say ANOTHER threepeat
 
Nov 12, 2007
26,045
10,206
113
What is this Clarion Ledger thing? An Ole Miss blog? Never heard of them m much.

Ole Miss frat publication?

I haven't read that rag since Mr. Cleveland left, the last writer with any true sense of honesty and integrity. You might not like everything he said but it was clear, concise, and fair.
 
Sep 9, 2012
2,803
0
0
What do they mean by lost edge. Hell we lost by 7 points. If we lost by 40 I would get it.

That’s what I was thinking too.

****, we lost by one TD at their place, with true freshmen all over the field and a double digit scholarship disadvantage. OM came into the game more experienced at basically every position and with far more guys available. They had every possible reason/advantage working in their favor, and still damn near lost. We are also recruiting as well or better than them.

How is that some kind of indication that OM is leaving us in the dust?
 

Arloguthrie

Redshirt
Nov 3, 2012
880
0
0
I would have shrugged and continued living my life like I did when Mullen said MSU would never lose to OM again, when he said, "There’s not much I like about the school up north at all, as a whole," when he said, "There’s certainly one program in this state that’s definitely on the rise, going in the right direction,” when he called us TSUN, and probably others I'm forgetting.
 
Sep 9, 2012
2,803
0
0
Interesting, I don't remember any of these kind of articles after we won 3 of 4 against them from 2016-2019. But they beat us once by a touchdown at home when we were massively shorthanded and suddenly it's "look at how State has fallen behind."

Same junk, different day.

Every single time we lose to them, there is some kind of media reaction that OM is about to start dominating the rivalry. Very bizarre how some local media always try jumping on this take.

It happened with Nutt, Freeze, even a little when Luke won in 2017 and Mullen left.
 

ronpolk

All-American
May 6, 2009
9,426
5,357
113
Very odd headline considering how the game played out. We had less than 50 scholarship players, a true freshman QB and our best play maker is also a freshman. All that and it still came down to the final play of the game. OM was an overwhelming favorite in the game, they should have won. I’m not sure I consider that game indicative of leach and msu falling behind OM. But that is to be expected from the clarion ledger now.
 

Russ Wheeler

Redshirt
Aug 3, 2020
2,430
0
0
It's for subscribers only, what is the content?

I mean I can tell you exactly why they have temporarily passed us. We totally blew a coaching hire, and due to that, our recruiting was interrupted enough to create a gap. It's a mix of Mullen's lack of OL recruiting, Slophead not working out, and Leach running off many of the impact guys from the 2018 and 2019 classes.

Meanwhile, Ole Miss hit on a few guys, particularly on offense. That'll carry them probably another year, then we start to get the recruiting advantage again (or so it appears).

It's really that simple. What's so frustrating is that YET AGAIN we did not take advantage of an Ole Miss probation period where their recruiting was severely hampered.
 

oxfordrebel22

Sophomore
Oct 31, 2013
1,928
134
63
FWIW - I thought it was in poor taste, also. But I will say that he retweets articles like that constantly. Positive and negative. His use of Twitter is hard to explain
 
Sep 9, 2012
2,803
0
0
FWIW - I thought it was in poor taste, also. But I will say that he retweets articles like that constantly. Positive and negative. His use of Twitter is hard to explain

I have no problem with the tweet. Just pointing out that OM fans used to get pissy when Mullen would throw these jabs. Don’t get upset or try to take your ball and go home when it gets thrown back in your face.

(Not you specifically but OM fans in general. And more than anything, the fanboy media that says MSU is responsible for making this rivalry too toxic.)
 

TrueMaroonGrind

All-Conference
Jan 6, 2017
4,129
1,699
113
They would post it on the Jumbotron and Twitter the next time they beat us. Just like they did when Mullen said we would never lose to them again.

The article is stupid and hammers the point home that you should not subscribe to the CL.
 

T-TownDawgg

All-Conference
Nov 4, 2015
4,818
4,974
113
In 2020 I’ve bitched so much about the double standard horseshittery in our dumbass society, I’m a little burned out.

The fact that OleMiss jumps into the fray this late with a fake news publication after an ugly 7 point win surprises me none in the least
 

oxfordrebel22

Sophomore
Oct 31, 2013
1,928
134
63
I have no problem with the tweet. Just pointing out that OM fans used to get pissy when Mullen would throw these jabs. Don’t get upset or try to take your ball and go home when it gets thrown back in your face.

(Not you specifically but OM fans in general. And more than anything, the fanboy media that says MSU is responsible for making this rivalry too toxic.)

We all have a tendency to generalize fans, but not all Ole Miss fans got upset. I didn’t. I knew what he was doing, and it was effective. We also all have a tendency to view things differently when it’s pro-our school. Of course, there are also plenty of Ole Miss fans who cried like bitches about those things you mentioned and are retweeting Kiffin’s tweet today. They’re sore losers, and like every fan base, we have a lot of them.
 

maroonmania

All-Conference
Feb 23, 2008
11,360
1,146
113
If Dan Mullen had tweeted this? Just curious.

FWIW- I have no problem with **** talking after a win. But let’s stop this noise about toxicity coming from MSU and leaving trophies on the field.

[Tweet]1333782720078557184[/Tweet]

Not sure who would be saying toxicity is coming from MSU but if there are some, they are idiots. This rivalry is only ever toxic when MSU is winning. The OM program and their fans in general can not handle it like adults when MSU is better than them in football. They truly believe they are entitled to have the best football program in MS and they can't handle it when they don't. Always has been true, at least since Vaught, and I guess always will be true. OM won this round so all is right in the world.
 
Last edited:

mcdawg22

Heisman
Sep 18, 2004
13,681
12,198
113
Interesting, I don't remember any of these kind of articles after we won 3 of 4 against them from 2016-2019. But they beat us once by a touchdown at home when we were massively shorthanded and suddenly it's "look at how State has fallen behind."

Same junk, different day.
The thing that really pisses me off is if they calculated the almost interceptions we clearly win that game*******
 

paindonthurt_

All-Conference
Jun 27, 2009
9,528
2,046
113
I’m glad you see the light! The clarion ledger has been this way for a while. It’s gotten worse but genespage 2000 wasn’t wrong.
 

wsjmsu75

Junior
Sep 29, 2017
2,421
210
63
So, we are one targeted ankle (in 2017), and one fumble at the goal line (on a play which apparently should have been blown dead by the refs), from a five year win streak, but we have "lost our edge". Right. Just another stupid hit job by the Rebel Liar.
 
Nov 12, 2007
26,045
10,206
113
I would have shrugged and continued living my life like I did when Mullen said MSU would never lose to OM again, when he said, "There’s not much I like about the school up north at all, as a whole," when he said, "There’s certainly one program in this state that’s definitely on the rise, going in the right direction,” when he called us TSUN, and probably others I'm forgetting.

Sounds like you have realized what I have. Neither school will reign over the other again with the way college football is now, combined with the small number of in state recruits that usually go back and forth picking a school.

The Top 5 recruiting class Ole Miss had under Freeze was dominated by out of state talent. MSU's #1 season was a result of a perfect storm of developing 3 stars and a diamond in the rough Dak developing into something special in a school that has never had top QBs before.

It took me moving out of state to see just how ridiculous it is when either side thinks they have an advantage because it never lasts. It's damned shame there were 3 schools created in a state that small.

Oh... BTW, 17 Ole Miss!
 

The Peeper

Heisman
Feb 26, 2008
16,737
12,499
113
I can't believe anyone of you would click on any article from that dead horse of a paper and am more surprised that you are "Premium Content Members" too?
 

wsjmsu75

Junior
Sep 29, 2017
2,421
210
63
I can't believe anyone of you would click on any article from that dead horse of a paper and am more surprised that you are "Premium Content Members" too?

I never give them any clicks. Just caught the gist of the article from comments in this thread.
 

Arloguthrie

Redshirt
Nov 3, 2012
880
0
0
Sounds like you have realized what I have. Neither school will reign over the other again with the way college football is now, combined with the small number of in state recruits that usually go back and forth picking a school.

The Top 5 recruiting class Ole Miss had under Freeze was dominated by out of state talent. MSU's #1 season was a result of a perfect storm of developing 3 stars and a diamond in the rough Dak developing into something special in a school that has never had top QBs before.

It took me moving out of state to see just how ridiculous it is when either side thinks they have an advantage because it never lasts. It's damned shame there were 3 schools created in a state that small.

Oh... BTW, 17 Ole Miss!

One school threatening to leave the other behind reminds me of this Jerry Clower bit:



We can't leave y'all behind because y'all's suspenders are hooked to the side mirror of our Mercedes.
 
Nov 12, 2007
26,045
10,206
113
One school threatening to leave the other behind reminds me of this Jerry Clower bit:


We can't leave y'all behind because y'all's suspenders are hooked to the side mirror of our Mercedes.

It's nice to think you can be all superior to other but not very realistic unless they find diamonds under one of the campuses.
 

oxfordrebel22

Sophomore
Oct 31, 2013
1,928
134
63
It's nice to think you can be all superior to other but not very realistic unless they find diamonds under one of the campuses.

I think you’re all spot on. But, maybe I’m a product of the moment, but ironically I think both schools have maybe realized that with their hires. I don’t know if it will happen or not, but I think both schools have realized that separating from the other and trying to become an upper tier program will require a unique coach and/or system. State has went the good coach and unique system route. Ole Miss has went the big name, high risk route. Moorhead and Luke dang sure aren’t challenging Alabama and separating from the other in-state school.

I still highly doubt either school separates, but they’re both rolling the dice. I like it.
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Mississippi State Bye Week Checklist: What Needs Work?
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State Bye Week Watchlist
  3. 03 Maroon and White Mississippi State Basketball tipoff times finalized
  4. 04 Rivals Basketball Recruiting Mississippi State, Maryland & UCF talking visits with 4-star forward K'Nard Callendar
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football "Fine line": Mississippi State HC Jeff Lebby speaks on managing health and preparation