Westfield 36 - Washington-Liberty 29

falcettik

Senior
Nov 3, 2004
1,911
887
113
I have been fortunate to have seen over 90% of Westfield's games since 2001 and have never seen a season with this many games so full of superlatives, let alone the just the first four games. Frustrating. Exciting. Hair-pulling. Exasperating. Joy. Head scratching. The list goes on and on. But Westfield, somehow, often despite themselves, have managed to win three one score games (and the fourth was tied at the half).

Westfield overcame Washington-Liberty in a back and forth game punctuated with lots of turnovers (4 for WF and 3 for WL), including two turnovers by each team in the final 1:47 of the second quarter. Westfield also blocked a WL FG and intercepted a 2XP attempt. Lots for the coaches on both staffs to emphasize in practice.

Scoring summary:
WL 73 yards, 4 yard run, 7-0 8:12 Q1
WF 88 yards, 62 yard run, 7-7 5:33 Q1
WL 76 yards, 6 yard pass, 14-7 8:44 Q2
WF 63 yards, 9 yard run, 14-14 6:52 Q2
WL 75 yards, 9 yard pass, 20-14 5:51 Q2 (XP hit upright)
WF 79 yards, 79 yard run 21-20 0:00 Q2 (after WF intercepted WL on the WF 22 with 6 seconds in the half)
WF 73 yards, 6 yard pass, 28-20 6:20 Q3
WL 80 yards, 14 yard pass, 28-26 11:55 Q4 (2XP intercepted)
WL 52 yards, 15 yard FG, 29-28 4:57 Q4
WF 80 yards, 75 yard pass, 36-29 3:31 Q4 (2XP pass; winning score came on a 4th and 5 at the WF 25 yard line)
 
Last edited:

Lorkie12

Redshirt
Aug 28, 2025
80
36
18
Since your basically Mr. Westfield haha, out of curiosity, who is the best Westfield team you’ve seen since the early 2000s up to now?
 

OnlyVA

Redshirt
Nov 2, 2022
83
39
18
Since your basically Mr. Westfield haha, out of curiosity, who is the best Westfield team you’ve seen since the early 2000s up to now?

I second this question, I've meant to ask in the past who he thought was the best Westfield team he's watched.
 

falcettik

Senior
Nov 3, 2004
1,911
887
113
Since your basically Mr. Westfield haha, out of curiosity, who is the best Westfield team you’ve seen since the early 2000s up to now?
My memory fades a bit over time but I would say the best are the five state champions since they ultimately won the title, but this is only an opinion of course. 2007, 2003, 2015, 2017, 2016 in that order. The best non-championship winning teams were 2006 (could have won states), 2019, and 2018 (both were very good but would have not won the final those years, IMO).

Update-I forgot the 2011 team-they lost 27-24 in the region finals to Centreville when a blown call led to a CV TD. That team would have most likely made the final and would have given OS a game. I would rank them between the 2006 and 2019 teams.
 
Last edited:

Lorkie12

Redshirt
Aug 28, 2025
80
36
18
My memory fades a bit over time but I would say the best are the five state champions since they ultimately won the title, but this is only an opinion of course. 2007, 2003, 2015, 2017, 2016 in that order. The best non-championship winning teams were 2006 (could have won states), 2019, and 2018 (both were very good but would have not won the final those years, IMO).

Update-I forgot the 2011 team-they lost 27-24 in the region finals to Centreville when a blown call led to a CV TD. That team would have most likely made the final and would have given OS a game. I would rank them between the 2006 and 2019 teams.
I was there for the Westfield Smith game in 2007. Vhsl all time classic game right there. You think Westfield would’ve been more competitive against smith in 2011 more so than centreville did. I remember Westfield had a good RB that year too.
 
  • Like
Reactions: falcettik
VirginiaPreps

Latest

  1. 01 VirginiaPreps Team Watch: Woodberry Forest
  2. 02 VirginiaPreps Springers Shutout Skyhawks 38-0!
  3. 03 VirginiaPreps Brooke Point Defeats Riverbend 35-28 in 3 Overtime
  4. 04 VirginiaPreps Hopewell Outlast Meadowbrook 40-32!
  5. 05 VirginiaPreps LIVE Interactive VA High School Football Scoreboard