Welp, let's chat about our starting rotation this weekend

missouridawg

Junior
Oct 6, 2009
9,407
309
83
Who's disappointed that we aren't seeing some changes on Friday and Saturday? Me.

What's scary is that these guys are facing a poor opponent and might collect some fools gold this weekend.

I'd rather see Bednar stretched out to 4 or 5 innings. Or give Smith a shot at 4-5 innings. Or give Sims a shot at 4-5 innings.
 

thekimmer

All-Conference
Aug 30, 2012
8,836
2,974
113
Who's disappointed that we aren't seeing some changes on Friday and Saturday? Me.

What's scary is that these guys are facing a poor opponent and might collect some fools gold this weekend.

I'd rather see Bednar stretched out to 4 or 5 innings. Or give Smith a shot at 4-5 innings. Or give Sims a shot at 4-5 innings.

I'm not disappointed about this weekend but I will be if I see Cerantola start against LSU no matter how well he throws this weekend. There is just way too much bad data to be overcome by a lone good outing. I am willing to give MacLeod a little more slack if he looks good tonight because of what we saw out of him last season but if he doesn't turn it around then you gotta bump him too. There are just way too many guys that are pitching too well to keep an arm in the lineup that isn't getting it done no matter who that arm belongs to.
 

missouridawg

Junior
Oct 6, 2009
9,407
309
83
I'm not disappointed about this weekend but I will be if I see Cerantola start against LSU no matter how well he throws this weekend. There is just way too much bad data to be overcome by a lone good outing. I am willing to give MacLeod a little more slack if he looks good tonight because of what we saw out of him last season but if he doesn't turn it around then you gotta bump him too. There are just way too many guys that are pitching too well to keep an arm in the lineup that isn't getting it done no matter who that arm belongs to.

We can’t keep relying on late inning comebacks with McLeod and Cerantola. I’m ok trying McLeod one more time. I’m pretty much done with Cerantola. He’s in the early stages of Brandon Woodruff to me and hopefully it clicks. But I’m tired of trying to make it click on MSUs dime.
 

57stratdawg

Heisman
Dec 1, 2004
148,688
24,540
113
I am fine investing innings in Cerantola right now. If we pull him out of the rotation, I’m not sure when you’re using him going forward.
 

thekimmer

All-Conference
Aug 30, 2012
8,836
2,974
113
We can’t keep relying on late inning comebacks with McLeod and Cerantola. I’m ok trying McLeod one more time. I’m pretty much done with Cerantola. He’s in the early stages of Brandon Woodruff to me and hopefully it clicks. But I’m tired of trying to make it click on MSUs dime.

We've got way too many good arms locked and loaded to go right now to risk losing a conference game trying to develop a work in progress. He has a ton of potential and if he can help us in mid week I am all for it. I also wish him well in a pro career where he will most likely eventually tame that arm and make a lot of money but where he is right now he isn't much good to us.
 

TrueMaroonGrind

All-Conference
Jan 6, 2017
4,129
1,699
113
There are quite a few pitchers who have just figured it out after a while. This early it’s okay giving him a chance to figure it out. It’s worth the risk of losing a game at this point. It could pay off in the long run.
 

missouridawg

Junior
Oct 6, 2009
9,407
309
83
There are quite a few pitchers who have just figured it out after a while. This early it’s okay giving him a chance to figure it out. It’s worth the risk of losing a game at this point. It could pay off in the long run.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I'm not trying to knock yours at all. But the difference between hosting a Super Regional and just hosting a Regional usually lies within 1-3 games. I would rather us prep Smith, Sims, or Bednar for a start against LSU by getting them a start this weekend. I'd move Cerantola to mid-week relief and let him follow Harding.
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White No. 16 Mississippi State vs. No. 7 Alabama: How, where and when to watch the Bulldogs
  2. 02 Maroon and White Mississippi State Soccer preps for No. 11 South Carolina
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State's Zakari Tillman Out vs. Alabama
  4. 04 Maroon and White Football Will Mississippi State's secondary be the difference on Saturday?
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State sells out Davis Wade Stadium for 2nd week running