We made Jomboy again

Snave

Freshman
Aug 22, 2012
277
76
28
The pitcher couldn't be more suspect with his touching two fingers to the mitt in the same spot over and over again.
 

bulldogcountry1

Redshirt
Jun 4, 2007
2,311
1
38
They acted like D-bags the whole weekend, so it wouldn’t surprise me if they did that on purpose just to get in the heads of our team. He wasn’t the only Tulane pitcher who did weird stuff on the mound you never see.

I’m interested to see them play again.
 

Drebin

Heisman
Aug 22, 2012
22,503
27,438
113
The pitcher couldn't be more suspect with his touching two fingers to the mitt in the same spot over and over again.

Jomboy is right though. Good pitchers will hear chirping from a dugout for stuff like that and then start going to spots on a glove or spots on their hat on purpose just to continue getting in their heads. If I'm a pitcher and I know you're bitching about me loading up the ball, I'm going to exaggerate it even more because when you're thinking about me loading up the ball, I've got you beaten.

Back in the day, Mike Scott used to be the king of this. The 86 New York Mets were one of the greatest teams of all time, but Mike Scott dominated them because every time they played the Mets were more focused on Scott scuffing the ball than on them changing their approach at the plate. It was a clinic on head games and domination.
 

GhostOfJackie

Senior
Apr 20, 2009
3,795
712
113
He was by far the best pitcher we have faced this season. Whether or not he had a substance in his glove we will never know because the umpire didn't really check the spot in question. If I had to guess, he was just doing that to mess with our dugout. You never know about Louisiana folk.

That Tulane team is going to be really good this season, and it wouldn't surprise me if they were in the hosting discussion.
 

The Peeper

Heisman
Feb 26, 2008
16,699
12,427
113
If a pitcher hears the "chirping" from the dugout and starts going to spots on gloves, hat, on purpose, who has gotten into who's head? Seems the pitcher needs to be worried about the batter and not his own academy award act to the bench that's gotten into his head.
 

Drebin

Heisman
Aug 22, 2012
22,503
27,438
113
If a pitcher hears the "chirping" from the dugout and starts going to spots on gloves, hat, on purpose, who has gotten into who's head? Seems the pitcher needs to be worried about the batter and not his own academy award act to the bench that's gotten into his head.

I can tell you from my playing days that the one chirping is the one that's worried about the wrong thing. It plays right into the pitcher's hands. It's all gamesmanship...it's been part of the game for a long time.
 

thekimmer

All-Conference
Aug 30, 2012
8,836
2,974
113
Jomboy is right though. Good pitchers will hear chirping from a dugout for stuff like that and then start going to spots on a glove or spots on their hat on purpose just to continue getting in their heads. If I'm a pitcher and I know you're bitching about me loading up the ball, I'm going to exaggerate it even more because when you're thinking about me loading up the ball, I've got you beaten.

Back in the day, Mike Scott used to be the king of this. The 86 New York Mets were one of the greatest teams of all time, but Mike Scott dominated them because every time they played the Mets were more focused on Scott scuffing the ball than on them changing their approach at the plate. It was a clinic on head games and domination.

That is exactly what happened, he punked us and not only got in our heads, he made us look foolish and petty by siccing the ump on him. That is a risk you take when you ask the umps to go out to the mound and check a guy. I think what I would have done was retrieve every ball he pitched that I could get my hands on for an inning or two and examined them real good first.

That dude was a really good pitcher and being able to punk us like that was part of his skill. I didn't have any issue with this aspect of their mind game. The jawing, preening and stomping were another matter.
 

mstateglfr

All-American
Feb 24, 2008
16,884
6,689
113
If a pitcher hears the "chirping" from the dugout and starts going to spots on gloves, hat, on purpose, who has gotten into who's head? Seems the pitcher needs to be worried about the batter and not his own academy award act to the bench that's gotten into his head.

At this point, the pitcher has gotten into the team's head.
I do see what you are saying- the team is just chirping to distract the pitcher and they hope it keeps the pitcher from concentrating on whats important.
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White No. 16 Mississippi State vs. No. 7 Alabama: How, where and when to watch the Bulldogs
  2. 02 Maroon and White Mississippi State Soccer preps for No. 11 South Carolina
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State's Zakari Tillman Out vs. Alabama
  4. 04 Maroon and White Football Will Mississippi State's secondary be the difference on Saturday?
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State sells out Davis Wade Stadium for 2nd week running