We are a baseball state...

Big Sheep81

Freshman
Feb 24, 2008
2,135
56
48
Good times indeed. And all just getting going. Add in the Shuckers and the Braves and we live in baseball heaven...
 

oxfordrebel22

Sophomore
Oct 31, 2013
1,928
134
63
I think MSU’s long term institutional love of baseball, combined with Ole Miss hiring the right coach at the right time, led to Ole Miss’s love of baseball. That love most definitely did not exist when I was young.

It makes a lot of Ole Miss fans mad, but I firmly believe that MSU’s love of baseball helped build our current program. There’s no better motivator, in any sport, than the other being good.
 

wsjmsu75

Junior
Sep 29, 2017
2,421
210
63
I think MSU’s long term institutional love of baseball, combined with Ole Miss hiring the right coach at the right time, led to Ole Miss’s love of baseball. That love most definitely did not exist when I was young.

It makes a lot of Ole Miss fans mad, but I firmly believe that MSU’s love of baseball helped build our current program. There’s no better motivator, in any sport, than the other being good.

Uh, you think? Hell, it can be argued that we fired the whole SEC up about baseball. Oh and, you know who fired our program up? That would be the fans. We have the best.
 
Last edited:

Treemydawg

Sophomore
Sep 29, 2013
314
128
43
I think MSU’s long term institutional love of baseball, combined with Ole Miss hiring the right coach at the right time, led to Ole Miss’s love of baseball. That love most definitely did not exist when I was young.

It makes a lot of Ole Miss fans mad, but I firmly believe that MSU’s love of baseball helped build our current program. There’s no better motivator, in any sport, than the other being good.

So, what you are saying is, it’s pretty much like any other little brother . Y’all just want to live up to big brother.
 

oxfordrebel22

Sophomore
Oct 31, 2013
1,928
134
63
Uh, you think? Hell, it can be argued that we fired the whole SEC up about baseball. Oh and, you know who fired our program up? That would be the fans. We have the best.

You seem fairly agitated about someone complimenting your program and fanbase.
 

ArcherSPS

Junior
Aug 22, 2012
3,637
244
63
I mean it’s true, compare the two programs. You’re on Auburn’s level not ours.
 

thekimmer

All-Conference
Aug 30, 2012
8,834
2,974
113
I think MSU’s long term institutional love of baseball, combined with Ole Miss hiring the right coach at the right time, led to Ole Miss’s love of baseball. That love most definitely did not exist when I was young.

It makes a lot of Ole Miss fans mad, but I firmly believe that MSU’s love of baseball helped build our current program. There’s no better motivator, in any sport, than the other being good.

What this means is that people in MS will enthusiastically support a high performing college baseball program. Some states like california will not.
 

Xenomorph

Heisman
Feb 15, 2007
16,116
10,647
113
Dude... Auburn's been to the CWS 5 times. The sharks wish they were Auburn.
 

11thEagleFan

All-Conference
Sep 6, 2015
3,010
1,978
113
Mississippi State is dangerous this year. State beat us relatively easily in Pearl, and I remember a lot of fans on both sides saying, “well USM isn’t very good this year, so no big deal.” USM has won 9 out of its last 10 after beating Bama last night. We will be a 2 seed, IMO. We are a good team and State made us look like... not a good team. Anything less than Omaha for State will be a disappointment. I’m rooting for y’all.
 

oxfordrebel22

Sophomore
Oct 31, 2013
1,928
134
63
I mean it’s true, compare the two programs. You’re on Auburn’s level not ours.

Exactly where did I say or imply that Ole Miss was a better program than MSU, or anyone for that matter? I literally said that MSU's baseball program helped Ole Miss fans fall in love with baseball, and some of you are mad about that? I think there may be some deeper issues going on here, haha. Good Lord.
 

Xenomorph

Heisman
Feb 15, 2007
16,116
10,647
113
I watched the Bama game last night. Lots of drama and it felt like there was more offense than 14 hits and 9 runs scored. Thought your last 3 guys on the mound did a good job.
 

PirateDawg

Redshirt
Jan 9, 2020
1,751
0
0
9-1 in your last 10 games. Looks like Southern is on the move toward post season play!

Good luck this weekend with Louisiana Tech too!
 
Last edited:

PirateDawg

Redshirt
Jan 9, 2020
1,751
0
0
Wasn't that long ago that we were 1 and 2 in football. No doubt rivalry improves both programs in any sport.

I think MSU’s long term institutional love of baseball, combined with Ole Miss hiring the right coach at the right time, led to Ole Miss’s love of baseball. That love most definitely did not exist when I was young.

It makes a lot of Ole Miss fans mad, but I firmly believe that MSU’s love of baseball helped build our current program. There’s no better motivator, in any sport, than the other being good.
 

oxfordrebel22

Sophomore
Oct 31, 2013
1,928
134
63
Wasn't that long ago that we were 1 and 2 in football. No doubt rivalry improves both programs in any sport.

It absolutely does. Mullen made Ole Miss make some moves. They likely keep Nutt an extra year without Mullen success. Our basketball programs are neither one great, but when the other has a good year or two it absolutely lights a fire in the other’s administration.

And like I said, Ole Miss saw how much fun y’all were having with baseball, and the second we got a decent team/program we dove headfirst into it. I mean in a 5 year span I went from cutting the legs off lawn chairs to sit on a steep *** hill down the 3B line, to sitting in a fairly nice terrace in LF (no it’s not the Left Field Lounge, so those of you who have major Ole Miss Syndrome calm down, but it was a big advancement compared to what we had).

And this last part will make some of y’all go crazy, but at least 60% or more of you are adults and will understand it’s just reality - Ole Miss investing like they did in baseball helped create the New Dude. Because MSU 100% is more invested in baseball, institutionally and historically. But, when that gap started narrowing it put some pressure on MSU. The New Dude was going to happen regardless, but if Ole Miss was, say Alabama, in terms of baseball engagement and investment, you probably don’t have all the things that the New Dude has. It’s a Taj Mahal. Dudy Noble was and is nicer than Swayze Field, but that gap had narrowed a few years ago, and MSU (wisely) made damn sure that the gap became more noticeable.

As much as we both want the other to lose, the others success betters our programs.
 

GhostOfJackie

Senior
Apr 20, 2009
3,795
712
113
No doubt the success of Ole Miss was reactionary of the success that Ron Polk and State had first. Ron Polk was able to prove that baseball could be (1) fun for the fans, (2), profitable, (3) successful in a region of the country with good weather and good youth baseball leagues. He was able to make baseball games more of an "event" than just a game. That success was first realized by LSU and Skip Bertman, and then more schools started catching on. Southern Miss / Hill Denson being in the same boat on a smaller level.

Don't let anybody ever tell you that Ron Polk was anything less than the father of modern day college baseball, because he was. It's a damn shame that he was never able to win a national championship, and an even bigger shame that our fans have yet to experience one. We deserve one more than anybody else in the country and this team has the potential to do it.

In fact, anything less than that is becoming a disappointment.
 
Last edited:

CochiseCowbell

Heisman
Oct 29, 2012
15,654
14,486
113
Well said, Ghost. When, not if, but WHEN we win that Natty in Omaha I'm going streaking! You can bring your green hat. Who's with me?!
 

oxfordrebel22

Sophomore
Oct 31, 2013
1,928
134
63
No doubt the success of Ole Miss was reactionary of the success that Ron Polk and State had first. Ron Polk was able to prove that baseball could be (1) fun for the fans, (2), profitable, (3) successful in a region of the country with good weather and good youth baseball leagues. He was able to make baseball games more of an "event" than just a game. That success was first realized by LSU and Skip Bertman, and then more schools started catching on. Southern Miss / Hill Denson being in the same boat on a smaller level.

Don't let anybody ever tell you that Ron Polk was anything less than the father of modern day college baseball, because he was. It's a damn shame that he was never able to win a national championship, and an even bigger shame that our fans have yet to experience one. We deserve one more than anybody else in the country and this team has the potential to do it.

In fact, anything less than that is becoming a disappointment.

Hard to argue with any of that. I can’t imagine how big a meltdown a lot of MSU fans would have if Ole Miss somehow won one first. Of course, that would require us making it to Omaha first, and that’s proven quite the challenge.
 

wsjmsu75

Junior
Sep 29, 2017
2,421
210
63
Wasn't that long ago that we were 1 and 2 in football. No doubt rivalry improves both programs in any sport.

In 2014 we were #1 for about 5 weeks. I don't remember them ever getting higher than #3. Guess I could be wrong though.
 

GhostOfJackie

Senior
Apr 20, 2009
3,795
712
113
Hard to argue with any of that. I can’t imagine how big a meltdown a lot of MSU fans would have if Ole Miss somehow won one first. Of course, that would require us making it to Omaha first, and that’s proven quite the challenge.

Yeah, I agree it would be extremely difficult to swallow an Ole Miss natty in baseball before we were able to win one.

Thankfully, we won’t have to worry about that because your program has mastered the art of choking when it counts the most.
 
Last edited:

wsjmsu75

Junior
Sep 29, 2017
2,421
210
63
Yeah, I would agree it would be extremely difficult to swallow an Ole Miss natty in baseball before we were able to win one.

Thankfully, we won’t have to worry about that because your program has mastered the art of choking when it counts the most.

But, but, but they won the early February national championship. Didn't you see the billboards?
 

Arthur2478

Redshirt
Oct 17, 2010
1,407
2
38
USM has won 9 out of its last 10 after beating Bama last night. We will be a 2 seed, IMO.

As of now, yall aren't a 2 seed. Your RPI is in the 40s and probably won't get much better with your remaining schedule. The victory over Bama was yalls 1st midweek win of the season and this aint football: Bama is the perennial last place team of the SEC West and hasn't made the tournament since 2014. Unless yall end up 7-1 or 8-0 vs La Tech and make a big run/win the CUSA tournament, I don't see yalls resume justifying a 2 seed.
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Football Will Mississippi State's secondary be the difference on Saturday?
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State sells out Davis Wade Stadium for 2nd week running
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State Week 5 Preview: Who Carries the Load?
  4. 04 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State Week 5 Preview: Alabama Q&A
  5. 05 Maroon and White Mississippi State’s Isaac Smith and Fluff Bothwell “Probable” on initial SEC availability report