But was Croom as much of an uninspiring hire as Rick Ray was? Or did Croom have some expectations from the fanbase? Inform me because I was 8 years old when Croom was hired.
Neither had any business being anywhere near the HC job, but Croom was a ten times more exciting hire. He had NFL experience and played and coached under the Bear. Rick Ray was a career assistant at a middle of the road program.
But was Croom as much of an uninspiring hire as Rick Ray was? Or did Croom have some expectations from the fanbase? Inform me because I was 8 years old when Croom was hired.
Just curious about excitement that croom brought
He may not have known it but some his best recruiting was still "aided" by boosters.
I don’t think any of our fans had heard of Rick Ray until he was announced.
I remember Jimbo being the preferred option by our fans, but most were fine with Croom at the time.
But was Croom as much of an uninspiring hire as Rick Ray was? Or did Croom have some expectations from the fanbase? Inform me because I was 8 years old when Croom was hired.
.....Croom was hired by LT to be a bit of an olive branch against the NCAA/SEC clown show they pulled. We could have (most likely) hired Spurrier. And, if you can win at scar in football, you can win BIG at MSU. It’s a damn shame. Even so, Croom took us to a bowl game one year..... and he’s a terrible football coach.
With that said, Rick Ray was easily the worst hire between the two. Our junior AD decided to play hardball with our best coach of the modern era and it backfired on him. And it was all due to Stans taking a gamble on Renardo Sidney.
Sidney and Dontae Walker (football) are probably the two single biggest cancers we have ever signed. Both led the charge to destroy previously successful programs.
Croom inherited a 1984 Ford Pinto and turned it in to a 1980 Chevy Citation. Ray's 1984 Pinto and was still a 1984 Pinto when he left.
Croom did a better job that SloMo, Croom took over an absolute dumpster fire and set up the program for Merlinz to be very successful.
Sidney wasn't even the worst on that team......Croom was hired by LT to be a bit of an olive branch against the NCAA/SEC clown show they pulled. We could have (most likely) hired Spurrier. And, if you can win at scar in football, you can win BIG at MSU. It’s a damn shame. Even so, Croom took us to a bowl game one year..... and he’s a terrible football coach.
With that said, Rick Ray was easily the worst hire between the two. Our junior AD decided to play hardball with our best coach of the modern era and it backfired on him. And it was all due to Stans taking a gamble on Renardo Sidney.
Sidney and Dontae Walker (football) are probably the two single biggest cancers we have ever signed. Both led the charge to destroy previously successful programs.
He wasn't qualified and had been pretty poor as an OC, but Ellis Johnson was a good hire and Woody McCorvey didn't look horrible and probably would have been mediocre if he had just gotten to run the offense the way he wanted. A mediocre offense with Ellis Johnson's defenses would have probably consistently gone 6-6 or 7-5.Yes, he was. Anybody fooled by the Croom Charade got what they deserved. The guy was NOT qualified in any way, shape or form.
When Alabama passed on him after 2002, I absolutely KNEW we were going to hire that clown the next year. Everyone knew Jackie was on his way out, and really should have been gone after 2002 himself (we'd have probably erected a statue had he done that). But, Templetoes let the program crater and made the PC hire, to appease the SEC and Alabama.
And do not be fooled by the race stuff either, if we had wanted a black coach, there were many other good ones to be found at the time (Charlie Strong). It wouldn't have gotten the same notoriety because Croom was the chosen one by the SEC and Alabama.
Woody McCorvey didn't look horrible and probably would have been mediocre if he had just gotten to run the offense the way he wanted
You're the type of guy who is impressed by such things. I'm more impressed by reality.I also remember Croom’s hiring being one of the few times the national media was “rooting” for Mississippi State.
No you didn't. He was NOT a good disciplinarian and he didn't tighten up squat. We had way more players get in trouble under his watch, and Mullen came in and put that crap to bed quickly. The team also can collectively faster and stronger over the first offseason with Mullen.I was living in Vol country when we hired Croom. I remember a lot of their fans asking me who this guy was, what did I expect, what were we thinking etc..... I thought that he would be a disciplinarian and would tighten up things around the program. Well, I did get one of my ideas right. I thought that he would also be a much better recruiter then he turned out to be. I also thought that he would use his NFL connections to try and bring in young or new coaches to really scheme and come up with creative things to do offensively.
Well unlike the old Meatloaf song. 1 out of 3 is bad.
Rick Ray. I'm not even gonna go there. I had at least heard of Sly.
He was a great speaker, I'll give him that. But he never leaned into that as his true talent. He was bound and determined to be an offensive savant (sound familiar?).Just curious about excitement that croom brought
Maroon and White Football
"Complementary team football is what they're doing really well": Alabama HC Kalen DeBoer on Mississippi State matchup
Maroon and White Football
SEC Nation returns to Starkville, beginning with Friday Finebaum show
Maroon and White Football
Mississippi State Week 5 Preview: Alabama Players to Know
Rivals Football Recruiting
No. 16 Mississippi State hosts Alabama with a 2027 flip target, two elite QBs and other top prospects visiting
Rivals Football Recruiting
How strong is CB Julian McDonald’s Mississippi State commitment with LSU still pushing?