Until you beat Salem they are #1

540teamz

Senior
Sep 9, 2015
1,157
814
113
I wondered how they came up with that too. Why is Lake Taylor ranked higher than Salem, yet for 6A, Smith returns virtually everyone on a team that beat #6 Nationally Ranked Team & took Westfield to Triple Overtime but is #2 to them for 2016?
 
  • Like
Reactions: salemfan32

DinwiddieProud

All-American
Dec 9, 2013
9,513
7,953
93
I wondered how they came up with that too. Why is Lake Taylor ranked higher than Salem, yet for 6A, Smith returns virtually everyone on a team that beat #6 Nationally Ranked Team & took Westfield to Triple Overtime but is #2 to them for 2016?

For once, Shaunty is correct. Purely statistical. I don't know the formula, but it obviously looks back at statistics over previous years, and gives a sliding scale value to previous results. For instance, Phoebus is ranked #1 over the two time reigning state champs, Magna Vista. (That rumbling you are hearing from out towards Ridgeway is not a 6.7 magnitude earthquake!)
 

SpartanOfYore

All-Conference
Sep 15, 2009
1,995
1,261
0
With the known talent LT has returning, and as many unknowns as Salem has on both lines and a few other defensive positions, I think it's reasonable at this point to rank LT number one.

I think between VHSL-Reference and Gilliam Ratings (wherefore art thou, Matt?!), one can get a pretty accurate picture of how teams stand relative to each other. It seems the later we go in (or after) the season, the more accurate both systems are.
 

DinwiddieProud

All-American
Dec 9, 2013
9,513
7,953
93
Agree, but I like the VaPreps rankings best of all. Rod and crew are privy to a lot of info that only comes from good relationships with the coaches across the state.

I hope we will be seeing their picks soon. (Hint, hint, Rod?)

But, we all need to remember that nothing is ever as it seems.
 
VirginiaPreps

Latest

  1. 01 VirginiaPreps Football Central Region GameDay - Week 7
  2. 02 Women's Sports Top 2027 recruit Micah Ojo commits to UNC
  3. 03 VirginiaPreps Central Region Gamers of Week 6
  4. 04 VirginiaPreps Football Tale of 2 Halves, TJ Tops Armstrong 34-17!
  5. 05 VirginiaPreps Football Private Top 10 & Week 6 Rewind