*Trigger Warning* Per the New York Times...

57stratdawg

Heisman
Dec 1, 2004
148,711
24,584
113
The Cleveland Indians are changing their name.

[TWEET]1338291508659761153[/TWEET]
 

Jeffreauxdawg

All-American
Dec 15, 2017
8,891
8,003
113
I always have a problem with the name/term Indians for Native Americans. I'm just curious why we keep calling a people a by the name of a completely different people from the other side of the planet. I get that for a short while, westerners thought they had actually ended up in India.

But somewhere around 500 years ago the light bulb should have clicked. It's like going to Germany and calling them Canadians.

I'm offended by the ignorance.. Say what you will about Chiefs, Braves, and Redskins being racially insensitive, at least it's not geographically stupid.*
 
Nov 16, 2005
29,333
24,526
113
The caricature of the Indian was the worst offense. The name really isn’t offensive to Native Americans but whatever floats their wokeness.
 

ronpolk

All-American
May 6, 2009
9,426
5,357
113
The caricature of the Indian was the worst offense. The name really isn’t offensive to Native Americans but whatever floats their wokeness.

Agreed. The only pro sport that seemed pretty bad was redskins. Never thought anything was wrong with Cleveland using Indians.
 
Last edited:

jethreauxdawg

Heisman
Dec 20, 2010
11,904
17,211
113
In an effort to seem tougher

They will now be known as the Savages. Completely unrelated to any ethnic group.
 

paindonthurt_

All-Conference
Jun 27, 2009
9,528
2,046
113
I mean there are names/terms all over the English language and others that came abt by mistake.

But go woke!
 

mstateglfr

All-American
Feb 24, 2008
16,905
6,739
113
The name never upset me, but it makes sense to change the name if it offends people.
Nobody is offended by the names Steelers, or 49ers, or Seahawks. There is just no reason to hold onto an offensive team name when the options for u offensive names are seemingly endless.


I do always wonder why cities/towns(or states even) named after Native American tribes and nations are accepted, but mascots named in relation to Native American people isnt accepted.
 

paindonthurt_

All-Conference
Jun 27, 2009
9,528
2,046
113
No it doesn’t make sense to change something Bc it offends someone.

Literally anyone can be offended by anything if they wanted to be.

As a matter of fact, I’m offended by Steelers Bc it reminds me of people having to work hard for a living in a terrible environment Bc of white capitalist pigs. It’s gotta go.
 
Nov 16, 2012
2,481
2
0
The name never upset me, but it makes sense to change the name if it offends people.
Nobody is offended by the names Steelers, or 49ers, or Seahawks. There is just no reason to hold onto an offensive team name when the options for u offensive names are seemingly endless.


I do always wonder why cities/towns(or states even) named after Native American tribes and nations are accepted, but mascots named in relation to Native American people isnt accepted.

This thread wouldn’t be complete with your woke
 

DoomSlayer

Senior
Jan 13, 2018
1,053
436
83
The Washington Post did a poll a few years back that said 95% of Native Americans were not offended by the name Redskins so I can’t imagine there are many offended by Indians. Let’s be honest, the people offended are white people with way too much time on their hands.
 
Sep 9, 2012
2,803
0
0
I do always wonder why cities/towns(or states even) named after Native American tribes and nations are accepted, but mascots named in relation to Native American people isnt accepted.

Patience grasshopper. That will come soon enough.

What I find wild is most of the outcry over this stuff doesn’t typically come from the tribes themselves. It’s usually white people who try to tell other races/ethnicities what they should be offended by.
 

mstateglfr

All-American
Feb 24, 2008
16,905
6,739
113
No it doesn’t make sense to change something Bc it offends someone.

Literally anyone can be offended by anything if they wanted to be.

As a matter of fact, I’m offended by Steelers Bc it reminds me of people having to work hard for a living in a terrible environment Bc of white capitalist pigs. It’s gotta go.

Oh, I assumed it was understood that I didn't mean if a single person is offended, but rather if a large enough .overeat develops then its understandable for a team to change its name.

I should have spelled that out in small words instead of assuming it would understood as implied.
 
Nov 16, 2012
2,481
2
0
Um, ok then.

I dont care about the name one way or the other. I just accept that if enough people do care, then I get the team changing.

Thats a low bar for being woke.

Cmon as a wokebot you know there’s no low bar until it’s completely destroyed. You fools have to know you’re being manipulated
 

paindonthurt_

All-Conference
Jun 27, 2009
9,528
2,046
113
A large group like say peta? And not liking dogs as mascots?

So you’re ok with getting rid of the bulldog as a living mascot?

Offense isn’t a reason to bully other people into your thought process.
 

mstateglfr

All-American
Feb 24, 2008
16,905
6,739
113
Cmon as a wokebot you know there’s no low bar until it’s completely destroyed. You fools have to know you’re being manipulated

I am being manipulated? By whom?
I have said the name never upset me. I have made no effort to change the name.

What manipulation?...I'm not involved in any of this.
 

mstateglfr

All-American
Feb 24, 2008
16,905
6,739
113
A large group like say peta? And not liking dogs as mascots?

So you’re ok with getting rid of the bulldog as a living mascot?

Offense isn’t a reason to bully other people into your thought process.

Does PETA want to eliminate animal mascots? I hadn't seen that. Its probably because I dont follow PETA, don't actively seek out news(especially of this kind), and I'm guessing PETA's efforts have gone largely ignored by media.
Add it all up and I wasn't aware PETA wants to remove animal mascots.


To actually answer your question, no not like a large group such as PETA. It appears their opinion has not gained enough traction.
I dont pretend to know at what point an issue should be listened to. There is no clear set point, which bothers some on here who live in black and white world.
Once enough support exists for a change, then its worthwhile for the organization to consider the change.


Society's values are not static. Even the version of reality thst you cling to was once new. Change happens in society, its just reality. You may kick and scream like a child denied candy in a store, but society moves on once there is enough support.
Maybe one day animals won't be mascots, but we seem a long way from that right now.
 

paindonthurt_

All-Conference
Jun 27, 2009
9,528
2,046
113
So if the media pushes petas calls enough and it gains more traction (which will only happen Bc of the media), you are ok with changing the mascot then?

I mean do you understand that literally everything could be changed if the media just wanted to push it enough?

You probably don’t Bc you aren’t very smart.
 

paindonthurt_

All-Conference
Jun 27, 2009
9,528
2,046
113
You think if a large enough group of people get on board it’s ok. That comes from groups and or media manipulation. Therefore you are part of that manipulation.

You just aren’t smart enough to see it.
 

mstateglfr

All-American
Feb 24, 2008
16,905
6,739
113
So if the media pushes petas calls enough and it gains more traction (which will only happen Bc of the media), you are ok with changing the mascot then?

I mean do you understand that literally everything could be changed if the media just wanted to push it enough?

You probably don’t Bc you aren’t very smart.

Racist mascots is somehow a slippery slope issue, Yada Yada, I get it.

I'm not going further into hypotheticalville right now. I dont care enough about the name change and i would rather finish Shameless.
 

Captain Ron

Junior
Aug 22, 2012
715
323
63
Does PETA want to eliminate animal mascots? I hadn't seen that. Its probably because I dont follow PETA, don't actively seek out news(especially of this kind), and I'm guessing PETA's efforts have gone largely ignored by media.
Add it all up and I wasn't aware PETA wants to remove animal mascots.


To actually answer your question, no not like a large group such as PETA. It appears their opinion has not gained enough traction.
I dont pretend to know at what point an issue should be listened to. There is no clear set point, which bothers some on here who live in black and white world.
Once enough support exists for a change, then its worthwhile for the organization to consider the change.


Society's values are not static. Even the version of reality thst you cling to was once new. Change happens in society, its just reality. You may kick and scream like a child denied candy in a store, but society moves on once there is enough support.
Maybe one day animals won't be mascots, but we seem a long way from that right now.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/peta-end-live-animal-mascots-uga-bevo-sugar-bowl-texas-georgia/
 

Irondawg

Senior
Dec 2, 2007
2,976
631
113
If I were them I’d go with “Tribe”
Would “natives” be considered offensive?
 

SwampDawg

Sophomore
Feb 24, 2008
2,193
122
63
Well, while we're at it, who in the hell was Cleve? Unless he was a Native American (did I do that right?) why is that area called by his name? We need to look into that, because at least to me that sounds wrong and it needs to be changed.
 

jethreauxdawg

Heisman
Dec 20, 2010
11,904
17,211
113
This is just another attempt by the White Man

To get rid of the Indians. Haven’t they been through enough?
 

Mobile Bay

All-Conference
Jul 26, 2020
4,243
2,184
113
Does PETA want to eliminate animal mascots? I hadn't seen that. Its probably because I dont follow PETA, don't actively seek out news(especially of this kind), and I'm guessing PETA's efforts have gone largely ignored by media.
Add it all up and I wasn't aware PETA wants to remove animal mascots.


To actually answer your question, no not like a large group such as PETA. It appears their opinion has not gained enough traction.
I dont pretend to know at what point an issue should be listened to. There is no clear set point, which bothers some on here who live in black and white world.
Once enough support exists for a change, then its worthwhile for the organization to consider the change.


Society's values are not static. Even the version of reality thst you cling to was once new. Change happens in society, its just reality. You may kick and scream like a child denied candy in a store, but society moves on once there is enough support.
Maybe one day animals won't be mascots, but we seem a long way from that right now.

PETA wants to eliminate any kind of human control over animals. No pets, no livestock, nothing. So live mascots are included.

PETA also kills more dogs than anybody else. They don't even try to find stray dogs a home, they just kill them.
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Mississippi State Basketball tipoff times finalized
  2. 02 Rivals Basketball Recruiting Mississippi State, Maryland & UCF talking visits with 4-star forward K'Nard Callendar
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football "Fine line": Mississippi State HC Jeff Lebby speaks on managing health and preparation
  4. 04 Maroon and White Football Recruiting 2028 4-star RB Zaiden Jernigan talks Mississippi State visit
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football 2027 Mississippi State commit Julian "Juju" McDonald shuts down recruitment