Tom Herman

patdog

Heisman
May 28, 2007
60,544
31,802
113
Okay let's discuss. Do you not think Briles and Sumlin built Houston into a solid G5 program? Or do you think Levine ruined it? Do we not distinguish between the current team and the overall program?


Briles and Sumlin turned Houston into a winner. When Briles inherited Houston in 03', they had 10 losing seasons from 1991-2002. Several of those with 1 win and a 0 win season in 2001.

A 17ing 0fer.

View attachment 446043



Herman took over a successful program from a meh coach. The 2 seasons before Herman got the Houston job in 2015, Levine won 8 games each year. Sumlin had them at 13-1 in his last year in 11'. So the Redshirt SRs on Herman's 13-1 team were on Sumlin's 13-1 team.

Houston's record the 12 years before Briles:
40-93-1. 1 bowl appearance.
Houston's record the 12 years before Herman:
93-60. 9 bowl appearances.

So let's not act like Herman rebuilt the Titanic from the bottom of the ocean floor. Briles did that after a decade of massive losing. Sumlin got it going full speed. Levine was not a great coach, but he kept it afloat.

So yes, Herman absolutely inherited a program built by Briles and Sumlin. The team and players were probably mostly Levine's, but it was still a solid program.
I admire your tenacity in doubling down on an argument that just got so completely destroyed by Rupert.
 
  • Haha
Reactions: Rupert Jenkins

Bullldawg78

All-Conference
Aug 30, 2018
1,751
1,446
113
I want to coach that's coming to MSU to build a program and build a dynasty. I don't want someone that'll be retired in 5 years. I don't want someone who's using this as a stepping stone. Just might humble opinion.
 

Klovis

Senior
Oct 14, 2012
850
549
93
I want to coach that's coming to MSU to build a program and build a dynasty. I don't want someone that'll be retired in 5 years. I don't want someone who's using this as a stepping stone. Just might humble opinion.

well we going to have to throw enough money at him to keep him.... whoever he is.

I do agree with building a Dynasty. I'm sure Mullen is still kicking himself over leaving here. I wonder where we would be right now if he never left.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Bullldawg78
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Baseball "This is Home": 2028 OF Axton Westmoreland commits to Mississippi State
  2. 02 Maroon and White Basketball Mississippi State MBK Assistants speak on size and length added to 26-27 squad
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football "Go make the play": Mississippi State HC Jeff Lebby on Defense and responding to Alabama game
  4. 04 Maroon and White Basketball Mississippi State WBK to play exhibition at Choctaw Central HS
  5. 05 Rivals Football Recruiting WR Darion Moseley backs off pledge to Arkansas, has Big Ten and SEC schools on his list