Tokyo / Japan Suggestions

The Duke

Heisman
May 29, 2001
18,547
59,359
103
I may be heading there on a business trip in the fall, I've flown through several times but never stuck around. Wife may have interest in coming in at the tail end and spending some free time. Looking for suggestions on what to see/do in Tokyo, if other places (Kyoto, etc.) are worth the effort if time is somewhat limited, and how it stacks up w/ Hong Kong, Shanghai, or Singapore (that I'm pretty familiar with). Thanks!
 

EvilPOKES

Heisman
Apr 23, 2008
110,043
19,189
113
Never been, but friends who have, have mentioned these:

Edo-Tokyo Museum
The Ginza Neighborhood - high-end shopping, eats, etc.
Imperial Palace
Asakusa (sp?) district...temples and stuff
Ueno Park/Zoo?Museums
 
Jun 11, 2001
25,746
30,199
68
Go to the fish market and eat at the sushi places across the street. Also experience Tokyo station or Shinjuku at rush hour.

Kyoto is cool. Nobody speaks English. I believe it's the home of most of the geishas and thousands of shrines/temples. I did some walking tours that I downloaded. Ate at a good mexican place owned by a japanese man who spent 15 years in Mexico City. The trip from Tokyo is 2.5 hours on the bullet train. You get a good view of Mt Fuji most of the way.

I'd advise taking a limo bus from Narita to your hotel if offered. I've stated at the Hilton Shinjuku and the Conrad. The Conrad is incredible.
 

OSUDD

Senior
Feb 20, 2005
3,624
981
113
Just got back a few weeks ago.

-Tsukiji Fish Market: If you want to see the famous Tuna auction, do not be there a minute past 3:30am. I woke up because I was jet lagged and figured what the hell.... Got there at 3:40am and it was sold out. Got in line for the famous Sushi Dai at 4am, opens at 5:30am and where I was in line was a 4 hour wait. A local told me to go next door to Daiwa Sushi as it is just as good and half the wait, it was amazing. Easily the best sushi I have had in my 33 years.
- I took a 6 hour bike tour with Tokyo Bike Tours. Awesome way to see Tokyo and experience areas you would otherwise never find.
- Akihabara: this place is just wild. It is the Mecca for anyone who likes robots, retro video games, Anime and girls dressed up like maids. You have to go see this place as it is culturally so different than anything I have seen in Singapore, HK, Bejing etc
- note on accommodations, if you need somewhere to stay consider AirBnB. You can get a nice private apartment that is spacious for Tokyo at a good price compared to hotels.

I'll write more later but I'll just say that Tokyo is nothing like the other Asian cities you mentioned, especially Singapore. Tokyo has the most unique culture I have experienced anywhere.
 

The Duke

Heisman
May 29, 2001
18,547
59,359
103
Great feedback DD and others - I'll take any other suggestions that are out there, should be able to confirm my trip in the next week or two.
 
O State Illustrated

Latest

  1. 01 O State Illustrated Football Oklahoma State rolls West Virginia 41-24, win third straight
  2. 02 O State Illustrated Football OSI Staff Picks: Cowboys at Mountaineers
  3. 03 O State Illustrated Football Ask the Expert: Cummings on Oklahoma State at West Virginia
  4. 04 O State Illustrated Football Pop Warner to Boone Pickens: Mestemaker and Coleman's lifelong friendship
  5. 05 O State Illustrated Football Recruiting '28 AK Mekaowulu on OSU offer: ‘I like the direction they're going'